Game-Labs Forum

US battleships since alpha 6

Mooncatt

Hi guys,

I did have a fair bit of trouble with this before alpha 6. it turned out I got lucky with it in the end sinking all 3 BBs with ammo det.

however my game got recently wiped (god knows how or why but it did)

so here I am in the latest alpha and this mission is just not possible. ive taken the boost tech and tried 16" with more armour and tried  18" with less armour nothing seems to make any difference, I have tried this mission now 20+ times and the end result it always the same...….I can get close to finishing but then the enemy just turn and run. by this time im damaged and I cant catch them and we all know how hard to sink a running enemy is. im must of tried hundreds of different combinations and nothing works. I just don't know what the devs (or the game) wants from me to complete this. the below images are the stats ive come closest to winning with. with this design I even managed to sink all the DDs with the amount of 8" guns I have too. 

does anyone have any help they can give pleeeeeaaaasseee

BB1.jpg

bb2.jpg

Edited by Mooncatt
typo

If enemies are running just switch to HE, so pick something like TNT or lyddite thats how i managed to complete that there is only one mission the italian bb just ran i bow-tanked and basically just HE'ed him to death, kinda sad but still.

You basically need to get lucky enough with shots that you can disable most of their engines while focusing on the DD's, i havent completed it at all ever since i tried it in alpha 3-4.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

If enemies are running just switch to HE, so pick something like TNT or lyddite thats how i managed to complete that there is only one mission the italian bb just ran i bow-tanked and basically just HE'ed him to death, kinda sad but still.

You basically need to get lucky enough with shots that you can disable most of their engines while focusing on the DD's, i havent completed it at all ever since i tried it in alpha 3-4.

thanks mate, but I can no longer use the TNT because the funds don't seem to work the same and lyddite is a BIG no-no now due to flash fire chance, ive tried it a few times, I get nuked within minutes with that, even with the needed protection. even white powder is bad for flash fires. only safe one I can use that's in budget is tube powder really

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

have another go mate. youll see what I mean :D

• Like 1

Just now, Mooncatt said:

thanks mate, but I can no longer use the TNT because the funds don't seem to work the same and lyddite is a BIG no-no now due to flash fire chance, ive tried it a few times, I get nuked within minutes with that, even with the needed protection. even white powder is bad for flash fires. only safe one I can use that's in budget is tube powder really

Ahh, didn't think Flash fires would be such a problem in the bigger ships but mostly in the smaller ships where they get penned more often, but yeah HE will lower structure down over time even if they are kiting away from you. Only problem is that if they have un-damaged engines and you dont well.

See if cordite is a viable option maybe try light or standard shells. Dunno if torps might be useful never tried them however.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cptbarney said:

Ahh, didn't think Flash fires would be such a problem in the bigger ships but mostly in the smaller ships where they get penned more often, but yeah HE will lower structure down over time even if they are kiting away from you. Only problem is that if they have un-damaged engines and you dont well.

See if cordite is a viable option maybe try light or standard shells. Dunno if torps might be useful never tried them however.

Cordite is one of the worse culprits XD. ive tried a million different ways mate, I either get flash fire or im good, the latter means they simply run away as I get close to winning. ill try switching to HE if they run away on the next attempt. weird thing is that all the stuff I put on my ship is supposed to reduce flash fires, it doesn't seem to work atm

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

trying the cordite again atm. reduces cost so I can add more flash fire protection, going well atm, doube the damage tube powder was giving :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mooncatt said:

trying the cordite again atm. reduces cost so I can add more flash fire protection, going well atm, doube the damage tube powder was giving :)

I tried a few times myself, noticed deck armour seems pretty important since those BB's can have weapons ranging anywhere from 432mm's to 335's which is highly annoying, ill try tommorrow with double 18inchers deck armour focused so that hopefully i can kill them off quickly.

Those modernised BB's do need a gun caliber limit however and armour limit now of them should be anywhere near the japanese Super BB at all.

well here are the numbers that I just don't understand.....since there is no tutorial yet. please advise..... the first 2 images are the enemies armour, the 2nd two images are mine. how is he ripping through me when I cant do the same to him. both ships (his and mine) are the same angle but he has the advantage on me and I have the better armour….I think.

Inkedenemy1_LI.jpg

enemy2.jpg

me.jpg

me2.jpg

Bumping this thread because this mission gets mentioned often in multiple threads. I have been confused because I remembered it being a really fun mission when I bought the game during Alpha 5. I remembered it being like shooting fish in a barrel; in most of the missions, if you let me build a hulking beast with all the tech, they seem easy. This morning I decided to play it again and see if anything changed.

My Ship:

9QSqKOQ.png3PsIcNE.png

When the mission started, I did not get the usual "enemy smoke to the north" message. Instead, three battleships were already detected. There was no message about it, and I couldn't see them in the distance and haze, but the icon at the top was clickable and zoomed me to them. Perhaps some folks don't notice this.

I opened fire on the lead ship. Started getting smashing hits after the second salvo. I had my ship on a parallel course at cruising speed. No return fire yet. Lead ship heads to the bottom before any shells are fired at me.

Second ship in line is more durable. I score hits but no big penetrations or detonations. Darn thing won't flood, but the structure wears down. I made the mistake of letting them close the distance more than I meant to, and they are firing back with 14' shells. USS New Hampshire giggles at those. Then the destroyers come into focus, but my 6' and 4' secondaries carve them up. I  make some course changes occasionally in anticipation of torpedo spreads, but dead men tell no tales and fire no torpedoes. Finally BB #2 sinks due to structural damage.

In the last act, I am taking some damage and am at about 70% structure but no flooding. The fourth enemy BB as arrived, and it hits a lot harder with 17' guns. Due to my maneuvers, it is this tougher target that is facing my broadside, so I target it rather than the weaker BB to my stern. It is basically a 1v1 at this point, and the New Hampshire makes fairly quick work of her. Screen fades to victory, and the enemy had one BB and one DD surviving. I was down to 40-50% structure and 80% float, so I am glad to not have to finish them off.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 3:20 PM, Alcar said:

Bumping this thread because this mission gets mentioned often in multiple threads. I have been confused because I remembered it being a really fun mission when I bought the game during Alpha 5. I remembered it being like shooting fish in a barrel; in most of the missions, if you let me build a hulking beast with all the tech, they seem easy. This morning I decided to play it again and see if anything changed.

My Ship:

9QSqKOQ.png3PsIcNE.png

When the mission started, I did not get the usual "enemy smoke to the north" message. Instead, three battleships were already detected. There was no message about it, and I couldn't see them in the distance and haze, but the icon at the top was clickable and zoomed me to them. Perhaps some folks don't notice this.

I opened fire on the lead ship. Started getting smashing hits after the second salvo. I had my ship on a parallel course at cruising speed. No return fire yet. Lead ship heads to the bottom before any shells are fired at me.

Second ship in line is more durable. I score hits but no big penetrations or detonations. Darn thing won't flood, but the structure wears down. I made the mistake of letting them close the distance more than I meant to, and they are firing back with 14' shells. USS New Hampshire giggles at those. Then the destroyers come into focus, but my 6' and 4' secondaries carve them up. I  make some course changes occasionally in anticipation of torpedo spreads, but dead men tell no tales and fire no torpedoes. Finally BB #2 sinks due to structural damage.

In the last act, I am taking some damage and am at about 70% structure but no flooding. The fourth enemy BB as arrived, and it hits a lot harder with 17' guns. Due to my maneuvers, it is this tougher target that is facing my broadside, so I target it rather than the weaker BB to my stern. It is basically a 1v1 at this point, and the New Hampshire makes fairly quick work of her. Screen fades to victory, and the enemy had one BB and one DD surviving. I was down to 40-50% structure and 80% float, so I am glad to not have to finish them off.

that's really helpful mate and I shall see if u get the same fortune as you have, but why haven't the enemy retreated like they ALWAYS do when I play this scenario? I have no issues sinking one ship and then badly damaging the second ship before they turn tail and run. it then becomes mission impossible. but I will give your build a try!!! thanks mate!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mooncatt said:

that's really helpful mate and I shall see if u get the same fortune as you have, but why haven't the enemy retreated like they ALWAYS do when I play this scenario? I have no issues sinking one ship and then badly damaging the second ship before they turn tail and run. it then becomes mission impossible. but I will give your build a try!!! thanks mate!

The second ship did start to retreat, but it had gotten pretty close by that point. It would have been a long haul before clearing the range of my 18' guns. Just kept the big guns on it until it sank.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 12:17 AM, Alcar said:

The second ship did start to retreat, but it had gotten pretty close by that point. It would have been a long haul before clearing the range of my 18' guns. Just kept the big guns on it until it sank.

hey Alcar. took me a few attempts but finally managed to get the mission done, thanks to you! I noticed on the first few attempts I too slow speed wise. and I also noticed that keeping them at 32km + meant I never took flooding damage or damage of any kind. so I dropped the cita protection and a couple of other bits and bats to get a 27knt speed. this really helped as it meant I could keep up with a damaged enemy. I sank the last ship as the yamato class just started firing on me.

thanks again Alcar for taking the time out to give me a good build to base mine on, appreciate it!!

Edited by Mooncatt
update