Game-Labs Forum

Campaign: Peacetime events suggestion thread

Warbie

I have come up with a series of events for the campaign, which do have some historical background involving navies, especially in the build-up towards the First World War. Since the devs have said that most campaign-based interaction will be done through events (event cards?? idk??), i think some random probability events/missions and player controlled interaction would make the campaign richer, especially from early to mid game. This would also be useful as an in-game map tutorial and can provide Major nations with weaker navies to get some strategic advantages before directly going to war with AI Majors. But if handled unsuccessfully, they should lead to premature wars. You can also write your own suggestions under this thread.

The events can be based on these factors;

Money $

Prestige/Renown: Player's standing in the admiralty, you get fired if it gets too low.

Political Power: Your country's ability to influence diplomacy with other nations

Resources: Things such as coal, oil etc required to keep your ships going

Ammunition

Morale: Willingness of your fleet to flee or fight

Experience: Gained by successful events/missions and by surviving tactical battles

image.jpeg.5968742a9be3411876092e02fc040f41.jpeg 

Gunboat Diplomacy: Costs political power, grants new ports and resources.

On the campaign map, minor nations on strategic nodes of the map can be forced to cede porting rights, ports to major powers. Success of this event could be tied to the strength of the fleet you send to their port. If successful, you can base your shorter ranged ships on a strategic node to give them more flexibility, lay mines, place submarines etc. Depending on your political power, you can send a fleet and ask the minor nation to close their ports to your rival major nation to deny them the strategic node too.  And if you have the required fleet strength and political power, you can turn that minor nation into a protectorate, giving you more resources such as oil, coal etc to extend the range of your fleets based there.

image.jpeg.7652ba94e37bb98b1f3115f0ee477aa8.jpeg

Banana Wars: Costs political power, fleet morale but increases funding.

The business interests of your country's companies are in danger in the random "x" minor nation. Admirality wants you to send a fleet to protect the business interests, and monopolise their economy. These missions costs political power, as was done with the Army screen on UG: Civil War, but thanks to economic gains, the investors would fund more of the admiralty's costs to extend your fleet.

Boxer Rebellion 1899-1901 – Aviation & Nature Photography

Evacuation: Costs resources and ammunition, grants prestige/unlocks tech based on the event.

For example: Civil strife, in random "x" minor nation has reached dangerous levels. Our government decided to evacuate our citizens and researchers working in the nickel mines of the "X" region. If succesful, the evacuation would boost our research of nickel-plate armor by "y" percent. Success of this event should also be relevant to fleet strength.

File:Knyaz'Potemkin-Tavricheskiy1905-painting.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Mutiny/Rebellion: Costs prestige and ammunition, increases experience and political power. 

If the political power or the fleet strength of the Player's major nation drops too low, the campaign would have a random chance to generate a rebellion/mutiny in a region that is not the core base of the player. The admirality then has to dispatch an expeditionary force of marines to quell the rebellion as a mission. If that region's port already has ships, they can join the mutiny if their morale is too low, leading to tactical battles. Success of this event should also be relevant to fleet strength.

image.jpeg.167449351fc1a68919d8eec0552486e6.jpeg

Fleet Review: Costs resources and money, increases experience and morale and prestige

Peacetime manouvres and the review of the fleet is what constitutes the pride and power of your nation on the waves. Your fleets have higher morale and learnt valuable experience from this show of naval strenght.

Edited by Warbie
  • Like 5

This will give a good reason to keep cruisers or ships like the Tribals around. I think the mutinies should also be tied into an adjustable sailor wage mechanic, like it happened to the RN. That would affect recruitment and retention.

• Like 5

If you've played Rule the Waves the events work like the events in that game from what I've seen. Events give you more money, prestige, and change tensions with other nations. Tensions go too high you go to war. Fleet reviews and gunnery exercises randomly come up which help with the crew experience in RTW. Hopefully that's a thing here too but we don't know how crews will work yet.

I do want more minor nation stuff. So like the ability to build ships for minor nations, and seize them if war breaks out, the ability to go to war with minor nations and therefore take more territory. You mentioned bullying them into becoming protectorates and closing off ports and whatnot which would be very cool. What you've said though requires a little more in-depth  resources and trade than what they're going for though. Rebellions can happen in RTW if foreign stations is low and just randomly I guess too, hopefully that's part of this game too. I like the idea of some of your ships joining the rebellion. The possibility of civil war would be very cool. More in-depth treaty negotiations after wars would be cool, ceding territory or getting ships as reparations. That happens in RTW but only if the government collapses and that takes awhile to do. The treaty system in RTW sucks honestly. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Jatzi said:

More in-depth treaty negotiations after wars would be cool, ceding territory or getting ships as reparations. That happens in RTW but only if the government collapses and that takes awhile to do. The treaty system in RTW sucks honestly. 

I think even on the inital announcement of the game, DEVs said that there are going to be some in-depth diplomacy involved in regards to treaties, depending on your war score, success in tactical battles. I heard a lot about the Rule the Waves, and it looks like a good naval sim but i guess, as a political science researcher, looking at data charts even in a video game all the time is a bit too overwhelming for me. I think they will have a diplomacy system which will decide how crises turn out from limited wars to World Wars i guess. 

image.thumb.png.eed6155d887671e5029ec87d5fc7f055.png

I think we can all agree that that more mechanics and stuff to do devs add that better.                           So edding anything that could chief of navy possibly influence is welcomed.

But guys, wouldn't it be better to wait with specific suggestions for campaing until it's out?

About the possibility to match majors as minor nation that was mentioned in the starting post: .This was mentioned in the blog: technological breaktroughs will be random (altrough you can influence it) so you can get tech advantage over major power even as minor.

Edited by Aceituna

8 hours ago, Aceituna said:

I think we can all agree that that more mechanics and stuff to do devs add that better.                           So edding anything that could chief of navy possibly influence is welcomed.

But guys, wouldn't it be better to wait with specific suggestions for campaing until it's out?

About the possibility to match majors as minor nation that was mentioned in the starting post: .This was mentioned in the blog: technological breaktroughs will be random (altrough you can influence it) so you can get tech advantage over major power even as minor.

Not necessarily.

Oftentimes, new stuff to add needs the code to be prepared for this if you don't want to re-write a whole lot of the basic code, so making suggestions early on can be quite vital.

• Like 1

BTW when I mention minor nations I mean like small neutral countries that aren't necessarily playable. Like Chile or Brazil.

Also I think the first iteration of the campaign will be coming out in alpha 7 or 8. They've got enough hulls for each class now and combat mechanics are decent enough. Still need an armor/citadel rework plus crew mechanics. Other than that though it seems we're all set to get it fairly soon.

A big thing I want is the ability to design subs. Not necessarily use them, I don't want or need to play silent hunter 3 here but I want more to do with subs. There were lots of different kinds so we can possibly do a lot with them. Personally I'd love to really explore the cruiser-sub thing that France tried out but didn't continue with cuz of the interwar naval treaties.

Edited by Jatzi

12 hours ago, Jatzi said:

A big thing I want is the ability to design subs. Not necessarily use them, I don't want or need to play silent hunter 3 here but I want more to do with subs. There were lots of different kinds so we can possibly do a lot with them. Personally I'd love to really explore the cruiser-sub thing that France tried out but didn't continue with cuz of the interwar naval treaties.

I started a topic about submarine design about month ago. But there wasn't any reply from devs. But there were some replies from ,,normal'' admirals And from those I would say that a lot of people want to desing subs.

I agree that cruiser-subs would be really nice to see. But I would like to add one little correction about your post: France wasn't the only one who made cruiser-sub but in fact almost all major nations has at least one.

12 hours ago, Aceituna said:

I started a topic about submarine design about month ago. But there wasn't any reply from devs. But there were some replies from ,,normal'' admirals And from those I would say that a lot of people want to desing subs.

I agree that cruiser-subs would be really nice to see. But I would like to add one little correction about your post: France wasn't the only one who made cruiser-sub but in fact almost all major nations has at least one.

I wasn't aware of that but looking at the different designs it seems only France went really heavy with it. Everyone else just put the same guns with maybe just more of them. France put a freaking 2 8 in guns on their sub and still had it carry more torpedoes than most of the other cruiser-subs.

21 hours ago, Jatzi said:

I wasn't aware of that but looking at the different designs it seems only France went really heavy with it. Everyone else just put the same guns with maybe just more of them. France put a freaking 2 8 in guns on their sub and still had it carry more torpedoes than most of the other cruiser-subs.

Sure France had sub with the biggest gun. Altrough It wasn't the biggest                               cruiser-submarine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruiser_submarine (if we talk about displacement)

I think we are getting a bit away from the thread subject!, Anyone got any other peace time events in mind? SOme other events that could affect tactical battles could be interesting. Like Navy corruption in the case of Qing Chinese navy or incompetent captaints running ships into each other, hitting sand banks etc...

Maybe things like running live fire exercises could improve the skill of your crews but if you are near another nation say such as Japan is to China there is a chance you could accidently hit Chinese ships and raise tension, or you could have accidental friendly fire incidents.

You could also have things like Naval funding increases if the press decides to show said live fire exercises in good light, or negative if they show it as a waste of money. It could also be a good way of intimidating a possible enemy that could either be a success or backfire and further down the path to war.

• Like 2

Competitions would be cool, as well as companies doing naughties and spying. Allowing rebel nations to form and start building navies and even having some under your wing would be cool (they would probs start of with torp boats corvettes gunboats and armed cargo ships). 

Lots of cool little events you could add to make the world seem more alive, like if one of your ships kills a load of others or performs some great deed it should gain the ire and/or awe of peeps around the world.

• Like 3

Maybe events like whether or not the Fleet Air Arm is taken away from the Royal Navy, or procurement has to go through the Air Ministry, reducing the technological level of RN fleet aircraft.

For the USA, have a rise in isolationism lead to reduced funding.

Germany can have the Anglo-German naval agreement or Versailles (depending on how WW1 goes).

Austria-Hungary can have Hungarian opposition to naval expansion.

Japan can have the famous Army-Navy infighting cause reduced naval intelligence levels.

Edited by roachbeef

Aircraft won't be in the game my guy at least not for a very long while if at all. RTW has fleet exercises which basically just spawns a battle and you fight it like you would any other battle to see how your ships stack up against themselves. I'm not sure if they increase tensions but it would be cool if they did

12 hours ago, Jatzi said:

Aircraft won't be in the game my guy

Not in real time, but it's likely they'll be present in the form of bonuses in the campaign and in battle, similar to submarines. They are too large of  a part of naval warfare post-1939 to be completely left out.

Maybe  aircraft could be added as a passive recon multiplier if the campaign map has a fog of war, especially during major wars, where it is difficult to gather info on enemy fleet presence.

I would rather have Zeppelins, or Airships for the earlier part, 1900s-1930s of the campaign, which makes them somewhat historically accurate, and adds a flair of steampunkiness too.

Feets would have attached reconaissance values, for example, level 1 - lookout recon 1890 -1905 (based on your primary and secondary towers), level 2 - land-based zeppelins 1905 - 1920 (the greatest recon range bun only when close to your naval bases, port/base upgrade), level 3 - flying boats/ship-based planes 1920- 1940 (medium recon range but mobile with your fleets, requires catapults on design screen? This would also allow for players to use overlooked types like cruisers etc as renewed roles for seaplane recon ships in a fleet)

Edited by Warbie
  • Like 1

I thin you could add "parades" to the event list.

Like "Monarch Birthday naval parade".

Sending ships can bring prestige and diplomacy bonus if the ships you sending are impressive.

Sending no or weak ships could mean the opposite. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SiWi said:

I thin you could add "parades" to the event list.

Like "Monarch Birthday naval parade".

Sending ships can bring prestige and diplomacy bonus if the ships you sending are impressive.

Sending no or weak ships could mean the opposite. 

Naval reviews were definitely an important peace time ritual, carefully watched by other nations and often with diplomatic consequences.