Game-Labs Forum
Nick Thomadis

>>>Alpha-6 Feedback<<<

11 hours ago, Tousansons said:

For now In UA:D, use destroyers as screen, use torp at range, don't hope too much of your guns (yet) against anything bigger than a light cruiser. I'll wait for the crews and the way of killing them before saying that a ship type "sucks". They have a role to play and sometimes, they can make some pretty neat heroic acts.

I held my destroyers at 14km distance from the enemy, 1.5km in front of my cruisers screening for them, outside of their own torpedo range (12.7) and they were not only spotted but getting regularly hit by 229mm shells when those same shells couldn't hit my cruisers for toffee. At present it's bad enough that there's little point even having them. If I can't even screen with them there's no point building them except as ASW dummies, when aside from that their role is completed far better by CL's. 

I'm glad Nick said they would be looking into it, as DD'd receiving 3-5 times the number of shell hits of heavy and battlecruisers at the same range is just plain wrong. 

1 hour ago, Reaper Jack said:

I held my destroyers at 14km distance from the enemy, 1.5km in front of my cruisers screening for them, outside of their own torpedo range (12.7) and they were not only spotted but getting regularly hit by 229mm shells when those same shells couldn't hit my cruisers for toffee. At present it's bad enough that there's little point even having them. If I can't even screen with them there's no point building them except as ASW dummies, when aside from that their role is completed far better by CL's. 

I'm glad Nick said they would be looking into it, as DD'd receiving 3-5 times the number of shell hits of heavy and battlecruisers at the same range is just plain wrong. 

I think one problem right now is that the best way to make your ship hard to hit is to make it fast. With how things are right now you can make a 40kt battle cruiser as easily as a 40kt destroyer. Combined with the fact that larger guns usually have much better accuracy than smaller ones. This means the larger ships are hard to hit, but have better accuracy against the smaller ones even with the relative penalties to aiming due to the size of the ships.

In reality (unlike in WOWS) estimating target speed was actually the easiest part of getting a firing solution. Estimating range was much more difficult in this time period. Target speed should have an effect on accuracy, but it should be relatively minor compared to other factors. Target size/detectability should be much more important in calculating accuracy since a smaller less perceptible ship will be harder to range than a large battleship. Furthermore, maneuverable ships such as destroyers and torpedo boats should be extra difficult to hit; historically these ships were maneuverable enough they could chase the shell splashes of the ships firing at them, making it very difficult to adjust fall of shot. In game this could work by making larger slower firing guns unable to fully lock on to small evasive targets. This would give torpedo armed craft a chance to close the range, and give purpose to smaller faster firing guns as well.

2 hours ago, Skoggatt said:

I think one problem right now is that the best way to make your ship hard to hit is to make it fast. With how things are right now you can make a 40kt battle cruiser as easily as a 40kt destroyer. Combined with the fact that larger guns usually have much better accuracy than smaller ones. This means the larger ships are hard to hit, but have better accuracy against the smaller ones even with the relative penalties to aiming due to the size of the ships.

In reality (unlike in WOWS) estimating target speed was actually the easiest part of getting a firing solution. Estimating range was much more difficult in this time period. Target speed should have an effect on accuracy, but it should be relatively minor compared to other factors. Target size/detectability should be much more important in calculating accuracy since a smaller less perceptible ship will be harder to range than a large battleship. Furthermore, maneuverable ships such as destroyers and torpedo boats should be extra difficult to hit; historically these ships were maneuverable enough they could chase the shell splashes of the ships firing at them, making it very difficult to adjust fall of shot. In game this could work by making larger slower firing guns unable to fully lock on to small evasive targets. This would give torpedo armed craft a chance to close the range, and give purpose to smaller faster firing guns as well.

All gun sizes hit the Destroyers with fair effectiveness, battleship grade guns actually fared worst, but this is likely more due to volume of fire. 

The cruisers were going 30-32 knots while my Destroyers were doing 40 knots, so speed had nothing to do with why they took more hits. 

I have enjoyed playing around with this patch a lot. Most ships which existed IRL can be recreated, although sometimes not with their original nation (the Yubari hull makes for a good Arethusa). One thing which I've noticed is that the AI tends to spam secondary and tertiary batteries, even on destoyers. I also see way too few 5 inch guns on them, because the AI decides that triple 4" are better. And 8x3 3" for some reason.

The other thing I noticed (again) is that all torpedo launchers are grouped together when it comes to reloads. So there is no benefit in having them on each side as you cannot fire and then turn to fire the other side. Occasionally, launchers misfire (only one torpedo is launched from a x3 or x4), sometimes entire groups get off one torpedo and then cycle.