Game-Labs Forum

Newguy... feedback from 1st kick at the cat

Grabbed the game last night and managed the 1st tutorial mission.

Some feedback on the shipyard:

• No easy way to compare modules:  It would be nice once a module, let's say front tower 1, is fitted, that when mousing over front tower 2 in the yard, will show the specs of the tower fitted side by side with green/red highlighting the differences
  • Ship problems in the yard:  Received a couple of messages in the fitting screen:  "some guns have poor firing arc" and "weight too far forward or something along those lines"  but no obvious highlights on which guns, or hints of what to change to correct the problems.
  • Like 1

About those problems: Poor firing arc - those guns with poor firing arc should be shining yellow so try to move these guns a bit

Weight ofset: I don't relly understand  what help do you need. This massage means that  parts placed at the bow or stern are too heavy, so you have to remove some of these or move them little closer to the center or add some parts to opposite side of the ship.

Edited by Aceituna
Mistakes in writing

I also sometimes have the problem that the game complains about guns having poor firing arc, without any turrets or launchers being highlighted in yellow... and with all of them having good arcs.
Seems to be a UI bug that happens from time to time. Unless it does highlight something in yellow, I just ignore it.

7 hours ago, Aceituna said:

About those problems: Poor firing arc - those guns with poor firing arc should be shining yellow so try to move these guns a bit

Weight ofset: I don't relly understand  what help do you need. This massage means that  parts placed at the bow or stern are too heavy, so you have to remove some of these or move them little closer to the center or add some parts to opposite side of the ship.

Guns were not highlighted - i put 11" guns 2 turrets with 2 guns each on the 1st hull.

It was not intuitive in what needed to be changed, but I was able to continue anyways, it let me put to sea so i assume it was minor... though I do not know for sure.  I tried to move the main guns at the front back and forth I also moved funnels about and it made no difference.  Now I think about it, perhaps i used different weight towers between front and rear... perhaps that was it.

6 hours ago, Norbert Sattler said:

I also sometimes have the problem that the game complains about guns having poor firing arc, without any turrets or launchers being highlighted in yellow... and with all of them having good arcs.
Seems to be a UI bug that happens from time to time. Unless it does highlight something in yellow, I just ignore it.

Thanks, i see a lot of warning messages about weights and such that appear after placing something, that just go away when you select something else from the component selections.

Edited by SKurj

I went back to review the ship and found the only way I could get around it was to put the rear gun out of position.. or at least so it seems...

See screen... if I put the rear gun in the more traditional location I get the fore weight imbalance.  oh my guess it doesn't matter... auto-design gave me a ship with a 17.7% fore weight offset, so i will just ignore it for now.

image.thumb.png.eeec991b96f45d67b4f6bc58ee86b381.png

image.thumb.png.415ade5a701c5b5cd737820d47b6fdf7.png

Edited by SKurj

The game already counts the weigh of stuff that is "on your mouse curser" but not yet placed on the ship itself. That's why you get weight offset warnings and such until you rightclick into empty space to clear your mouse curser. Apart from that there are still a few kinks they are still in the process of working out. It is still in Alpha after all.

Weight offset isn't the end of the world, especially not if you can keep the warning in grey. It will reduce your speed and some other stats, but not to a completely dibilitating degree.

Oh and if you try to build a ship with offset turrets, then the game will complain about massive side-offset in the designer, but work perfectly fine ingame, just in case you ever want to build a ship with such a turret layout:

/------X------------\
< X                 X   >
  \-----------X-------/

excuse the rough line-art, but it should bring across what I mean. And if not, look up the HMS Invincible (1907 battlecruiser - not the more modern Carrier), SMS Moltke or SMS Kaiser and you'll see in real pictures what I tried to describe here.

• Like 1