Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Ink

Suggestions on texts, data, historical tidbits, and other non gameplay related issues.

Recommended Posts

Dear Admirals,

If you encounter a mistake in text, date or you think something need to be rephrased - please post your suggestions in this thread

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've seen quite a few examples of things that require correction, but they're usually popping up on screen so I can't capture them in time.

If you have some sort of text file you can email me I'd be happy to go through all of it for you. I've done lots of proofreading over the years for friends and colleagues as I'm somewhat old school and obsessive when it comes to language.

Even if it's 100 pages that ought only take a few days I'd think; not as though I'm doing anything else important at the moment. Can mark it up and return.

Let me know and I can PM you an email address.

Cheers

Edited by Steeltrap
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Steeltrap said:

I've seen quite a few examples of things that require correction, but they're usually popping up on screen so I can't capture them in time.

If you have some sort of text file you can email me I'd be happy to go through all of it for you. I've done lots of proofreading over the years for friends and colleagues as I'm somewhat old school and obsessive when it comes to language.

Even if it's 100 pages that ought only take a few days I'd think; not as though I'm doing anything else important at the moment. Can mark it up and return.

Let me know and I can PM you an email address.

Cheers

Thank you for the offer, its very kind and we appreciate your support. We will start localization after campaign is finished, and we will provide the full text file to the community so it can we worked on and improved. 

Hold on until then please

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Steeltrap said:

...they're usually popping up on screen so I can't capture them in time...

THIS. I do not always have enough time to read, the loading screen go away too quickly. 

I like more "Click to Continue" system.

9e8k4gy.jpg

Edited by TAKTCOM
WAR FOR IMPROVEMENT
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Somewhat esoteric (or picky), but I noticed that in battles involving a British convoy that the merchant vessels were flying the White ensign which is reserved for the Navy. The proper flag for British merchantmen (the Merchant Navy) is the Red ensign. There is also a Blue ensign which would be for merchantmen commanded by Royal Navy Reserve officers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_ensign

The location of ensigns should also be at the stern rather than at the bow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_ensign
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_flag

:)

 

Merchant.jpg

Edited by DarkMaid
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed that when pressing f11 for screenshots during any loading screen they don't seem to get saved on my end.

Ill check tommorrow after work, but just a heads up incase other peeps have the same issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

I've noticed that when pressing f11 for screenshots during any loading screen they don't seem to get saved on my end.

Ill check tommorrow after work, but just a heads up incase other peeps have the same issue.

Try with PrtSc button, press it, open Paint, select area and then press Ctrl+V.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, HusariuS said:

Try with PrtSc button, press it, open Paint, select area and then press Ctrl+V.

ill use gimp since i can edit things there better.

Paint is a bit smoll for my liking atm.

I hope we get a replay function at somepoint that would be pretty cool and you can speed it up, go free cam, speed it down etc like in-game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love you forever if you could make the ships split sometimes, Titanic style, or just down the middle. (Side note, it would be cool to have the C.S.A as a naval faction in custom battles.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2020 at 6:38 PM, Ink said:

Thank you for the offer, its very kind and we appreciate your support. We will start localization after campaign is finished, and we will provide the full text file to the community so it can we worked on and improved. 

Hold on until then please

You're welcome. It's simply more efficient to do it as a document than trying to grab things off the screen. I assume such a document will include tooltips and the like, in fact EVERY text element that appears on screen?

I saw one that was written in a way that appeared to suggest the Baden class was the first armed with almost 15 inch guns and the most powerful of WW1. That's true for German ships, but the way it was written technically didn't limit it solely to German ships, in which case it's obviously not true (say hi to the Queen Elizabeth class). I'm sure the intent was to point out it was the most powerful German class of the war, it's just the wording technically didn't achieve that.

p.s. As an aside, are you sure you want a localised, Australian version? Careful what you wish for. 😁 😎

(don't worry, we use "UK English")

Edited by Steeltrap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New guy!!   to Dreadnoughts as of about an hour ago...

The loading screens with historical information go by too fast, a confirmation button would be good and/or a "library" or "encyclopedia" the player can read through at their leisure would be good.  Even if the information had to be "unlocked" by progress in the game, sort of like achievements

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had the game auto-name a heavy cruiser of the Austro-Hungarians as "Tyrol". But in German it's written "Tirol" with an i.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The loading screen that shows the information for SMS Sankt Georg is incorrect. It states "The armament comprised two twin 9.5" guns, 5 7.5" guns..." It actually carried 1 twin 9.4" (24cm) gun, and 5 7.5" (19cm) guns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Norbert Sattler said:

But the loading screen does stay until you make a click already... I don't think Steeltrap was talking about loading screens.

I think peeps want a button so that even if accidently click the mouse you won't be put into the battle scenario. Which is fine in my books.

But yeah he was talking about grammar errors and spelling mistakes, some which i found myself but screenies werent saved and also too busy with other stuff atm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad UI is getting some love. Tooltips or an encyclopedia explaining some of the principles of ship design would go a long way to initiating the non-grogs. Explaining what secondary armament is, with recommendations for mounts, calibre and a quick summation of its usage would go a long way to mollify complaints that secondary guns aren't accurate or hard hitting (historically, they weren't and weren't expected to be). 

Just one example but there are so many examples of posts here like "Why can't my ship (do thing no ship could be expected to do or has ever done)?" Top speed is an example of this, where people who have never been at sea and haven't previously been interested in warship design think that "speedy" and "manoeuvrable" ships made 55kts and handled like Ferraris. Explaining that a ship that made 30kts and could turn in radius xyz were handy would help. 

These little educational prompts help match expectations to reality, rather than making the game purposefully unrealistic to match uninformed expectations.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 10:49 PM, Norbert Sattler said:

But the loading screen does stay until you make a click already... I don't think Steeltrap was talking about loading screens.

Was talking about the historical bits that flash on screen but don't wait for the player to do anything for them to vanish. Found a few errors but didn't get time to screen shot them.

On 5/20/2020 at 11:04 PM, Cptbarney said:

But yeah he was talking about grammar errors and spelling mistakes, some which i found myself but screenies werent saved and also too busy with other stuff atm.

Correct.

On 5/21/2020 at 6:26 AM, DougToss said:

I'm glad UI is getting some love. Tooltips or an encyclopedia explaining some of the principles of ship design would go a long way to initiating the non-grogs. Explaining what secondary armament is, with recommendations for mounts, calibre and a quick summation of its usage would go a long way to mollify complaints that secondary guns aren't accurate or hard hitting (historically, they weren't and weren't expected to be). 

Just one example but there are so many examples of posts here like "Why can't my ship (do thing no ship could be expected to do or has ever done)?" Top speed is an example of this, where people who have never been at sea and haven't previously been interested in warship design think that "speedy" and "manoeuvrable" ships made 55kts and handled like Ferraris. Explaining that a ship that made 30kts and could turn in radius xyz were handy would help. 

These little educational prompts help match expectations to reality, rather than making the game purposefully unrealistic to match uninformed expectations.  

Have suggested elsewhere that the community here would be a great place to assemble an FAQ, not to mention potentially redesign the Naval Academy to make it more of a tutorial. I think the game will need a LOT of explaining when it comes to the intricacies and hidden interactions of the shipyard.

As for unrealistic expectations, I posted this a while back, but it didn't really attract much comment.

Cheers all

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...