Game-Labs Forum

What are the 8 sails of a T Lynx

Spam Hands

Question

Bear in mind that the questioner is a total landlubber. I have had some replies from chat but there is conflicting information.

The Trader Lynx has 8 sails. I would like to know what each of these is for the purposes of game function only, not real life naming function. This is to better know which sails of the 8 it has will benefit from staysails books and which will do so for squaresails books. Eg the 'Treatise on staysails'

In my mind a triangular sail has 3 points and a square sail has 4 points. The upper sail in between the fore and aft mast on the T Lynx looks like a triangle but the end is cut off giving it four points and making it a square (irregular quadrilateral).  

So the question is, in game terms, what do each of the 8 sails on a T Lynx count as (square, stay, other etc). Replying to the format below and adding descriptors to the ? marks would be ideal.

The three triangular sails at the front of the vessel are: ?

The lower square sail between the two vertical masts is: ?

The upper sail between the two vertical masts is: ?

The upper sail behind the rear mast is: ?

The lower sail behind the rear mast is: ?

Edited by Spam Hands
clarification

10 answers to this question

in game there are 3 types of sails:

• Staysails - both jibs (on bowsprit) and staysails (between masts), also sail above gaff sail (if exists)
  • Spankers - gaff or lateen sail usually attached to mizzen-mast (behind it), also gaff sails on fore-and-aft rigged ships and lateen sails on Xebeque
  • Square sail - sails usually set perpendicular the ship. Lynx has only one such sail - foretopsail

Usually staysails and spankers contribute to sailing upwind, square sails - to sailing downwind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spam Hands said:

The three triangular sails at the front of the vessel are: ? From fore to aft: Flying Jib, Jib, Staysail (all are technically different staysails, name changes with position)

The lower square sail between the two vertical masts is: ? Foresail (=Gaff sail on fore mast)

The upper sail between the two vertical masts is: ? Main Topmast Staysail (=Staysail fixed to Main Topmast)

The upper sail behind the rear (=Main) mast is: ? Main Topsail

The lower sail behind the rear mast is: ? Mainsail

In general every sail has a description of it's shape and position in it's name. In case you wanna know more here are two starting points:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sail_plan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_rigging

a good question, actually. :) The in-game distinction between square sails, stay sails and spanker origins from the fully rigged ships. Following that, I assume that only the one square sail on the yard is seen as a square sail on the T-Lynx. All others are either stay sails or spankers (in the words of the game).

4 minutes ago, Suppenkelle said:

a good question, actually. :) The in-game distinction between square sails, stay sails and spanker origins from the fully rigged ships. Following that, I assume that only the one square sail on the yard is seen as a square sail on the T-Lynx. All others are either stay sails or spankers (in the words of the game).

Spanker = Gaff sail on a square rigged ships mizzen (=aftmost) mast.
Staysails are just that. Sail that are attached to a stay (see wikipedia links in my other answer for more info)
Square sail = Sail that is rigged square to the ships longitudinal axis as opposed to fore-and-aft sails that are rigged along that axis (=gaff sails, gaff topsails and staysails). there are other numerous sail configurations but those few cover most of what you see in game.

TL;DR: What Malcolm3 said :D

Edited by Tom Farseer
  • Like 1

Just now, Tom Farseer said:

Staysails are just that. Sail that are attached to a stay (see wikipedia links in my other answer for more info)
Square sail = Sail that is rigged square to the ships longitudinal axis as opposed to fore-and-aft sails that are rigged along that axis (=gaff sails, gaff topsails and staysails). there are other numerous sail configurations but those few cover most of what you see in game.

Tom, I know all that. But that was not the question that op had :)

Just now, Suppenkelle said:

And now, hopefully even more people will know it 😃 His original questions was already answered above ;)