Game-Labs Forum

explosion

Caranorn

Wow. I just had an explosion with full loss of life.

Earlier in the battle my little battered 28 gun USS Virginia boarded a British 44 gunner, transferring her entire crew except for a skeleton to the prize.

Almost immediately a second British frigate tried to board my fully manned prize and successfully latched on. At the same time one of my 68 gunners came up on a nice tail rake on the British 44er and I thought the angle was safe for my own ship. Unfortunately both ships shared the damage and my prize just blew up. Wham bam! A big flash, three casualty messages for my officers on the prize and a burning hulk in the water. Unfortunately the Brit got away at first, it should probably have taken a nice bit of damage from the explosion, after all they were latched together, but sometime later it also struck it's flag ending the battle.

Three good officers and some 300 men was costly, but I got a 68er and a 44er as prizes. Poor Virginia was sent into ordinary after the battle, her guns going to the recently commissioned 68er Orpheus' upper deck, nothing of her crew and officers left to transfer anywhere.

Really nice to see such catastrophic damage in the game!

Always be careful when your own ships are in your line of fire. I rather hold my fire than to risk hitting my own ships. For boarding actions i try to send two ships against one, from both sides. That eliminates the risk of friendly fire.