Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cathal Brugha

AI ships, explain this

Posted (edited)

20200406220143_1.thumb.jpg.1c17f6832499a7ef81adb2742b6b5ff0.jpg20200406220140_1.thumb.jpg.d6a9804d1a9428399ee1c93f86f4003a.jpg

Fighting an AI ship. AI have less hitpoints, less armor, less guns, (I have carros on quarterdeck, meds below, AI only use meds) sailing parallel most of the battle so  both of us were hitting each other evenly the whole time. I got the first few broadsides in because the AI ship was targeting my fleet trade ship for the first part of the battle. So the AI ship had damage before I did, yet it did more damage to me in less time. Proof the AI cheats. I get that the AI are up to compensate for the fact that it is, well, AI, but battles vs them become entirely 'how can I exploit the AI' since that is the only way to defeat them since they cheat so much. Actual naval tactics are usually pointless. AI ships should be limited in the upgrades on their ships the same as players, grey 1, green 2, blue 3, ect. When players capture those ships, the upgrades the AI are using should still be on the ships.

Edited by Cathal Brugha
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Illusive Tabby said:

I maintain AI Trincomalee's are armed with a 24lb main battery.

More like they use double shot permanently...without pen debuff on those.

If at least they would give you the ship you are fighting if you manage to cap it. All AIs are equipped with marines so it is not like it is all too easy. But it always make me smile when I meet ship bouncing all my shots from bloomfields while still being faster than my teak ships (I despice live oak) and when you cap them it is green shabby fir bermuda (would expain the speed, but not the armor). 

As I called it multiple times...magic..pure magic. We just need to craft a wand for ourself to keep up.

All in all, what is even the incentive to fight any ship once you reach admiral. Before that it at least yields you XP to level up. But after that? Loot is crappy (oh yeah, another Loki, just what I wanted), ship is even worse, XP goes to waste. I play this only bcs I like age of sail authentic games. Ship models and sailing experience is wonderfull, hats off for that, but with all those magic aroud and lack of end game goals, it is geting a bit tedious 😕 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Trawn said:

Before that it at least yields you XP to level up.

Except that most of the time I do not get very much XP, as (I think) you get more XP from having a lower BR than the enemy, yet I need to outclass the AI with higher BR since the AI cheat so much.

Once you are admiral, xp is only needed to grind ship slots.

There is some content missing for highest rank players, especially since it is not too much of a grind to become admiral.

• Like 1

Sailing parallel - broadside to broadside is not a good tactic.

You can very easily take a battle with a 1v2 or even 1v3 against the AI and win...if you learn to angle and turn effectively.  However, if you continue utilizing such poor tactics...then you deserve to get wrecked by the AI.

• Sad 1

Sailing parallel was for the test. And it is difficult to angle properly when AI cannons rarely ricochet, and out speed and outturn you.

11 hours ago, SFCGunny said:

However, if you continue utilizing such poor tactics...then you deserve to get wrecked by the AI.

This is about the AI ships cheating or about being over buffed, take you 'git gud' talk elsewhere.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SFCGunny said:

You can very easily take a battle with a 1v2 or even 1v3 against the AI and win.

I would like to see proof. It is not possible as the ai are now.

1 hour ago, Cathal Brugha said:

Not possible you say....ok then

Screenshot (107).png

Yeah, that is a start, but I don't see the condition your ship is in, or the ships you fought. You could have just fought three cutters.

5 hours ago, SFCGunny said:

Not possible you say....ok then

Screenshot (107).png

Now take connie, wasa or 3rd rate instead of most OP 3rd rate ingame and show us again. AIs are overbuffed as hell, i can take 1st rate in 4th rate too but i have to exploit stupidity of AI and side by side shooting was main thing how to approach combat in age of sails. But its funny how 18pnd frig deals twice as much damage per broadside than your 24pnd frigate. Hell, at diana event, santa cecilia oddamaged my Leopard in one freaking broadside.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cathal Brugha said:

Ah, so first you claim it's not possible, and then when I show you proof of winning a 1v3 with an Implacable against three third rate ships, now you want to add additional conditions.

You just can't accept the fact your sailing methods, your method of attack, your lack of angling, your inability to execute tight turns with manual sails, and inability to understand the combat mechanics are the reasons you are struggling against the AI...but, hey, you be you.

As I said earlier, this is not about what YOU personally can do against the AI, exploiting them, this is about that the AI are over buffed and cheat.

AI reloads like meds, does damage like carros, has the accuracy and range of longs, with the pen of navy guns + french gunnery sgt

AI turns at least 2x the actual rate of any ship

AI boards like a rabid coyote

Once you know that, adjust your style and its not that complicated

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 11:59 AM, Cathal Brugha said:

As I said earlier, this is not about what YOU personally can do against the AI, exploiting them, this is about that the AI are over buffed and cheat.

And as I said earlier, you need to learn better tactics.  Learn how to beat the AI rather than cry about the AI cheating you...adapt, anticipate, overcome.  Just stop crying already.

The AI can snipe your stern from 600M and drop your hull 10% each hit.

They can also penetrate with broadsides, even though your side armor is intact. With mediums.

It's BS and they shouldn't be so hard really. They're for grinding out XP and farming upgrades; not for wasting repairs.

The current AI are not that hard if you think they are then the problem lies somewhere between your keyboard and chair

• Like 1

The AI are predictable and can be downright boring, that's why players solo AI fleets, to at least provide some consequence for screwing up. I don't expect a new player to go out and kill an AI 1st rate on day 1, but that doesn't mean the AI is OP, it just means the player chose poorly. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 3:59 AM, Cathal Brugha said:

The AI are actually very very predictable, which is why they are buffed, because otherwise it would be a face roll to beat them. 

Yes there are some basic skill elements (manual sails, refuse your stern, watch their timing and angle to defeat their broadside being a few) but it is not 'elite' skill, it is the basics which take a small while to learn when new, but don't require preternatural reflexes or a mind like a steel trap.  

I thoroughly recommend new players join an established clan and PARTICIPATE and LEARN, also the internet is a great resource. Check out some of Michael Sharp's videos on youtube.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 3:15 AM, MysteriousHonza said:

Hell, at diana event, santa cecilia oddamaged my Leopard in one freaking broadside.

Bad example.

At Diana event, all special prize ships Diana, St. Cecilia and De Ruyter were extraordinarily buffed. In some regards even more than our elite NPC (masts...).

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2020 at 8:30 PM, Cathal Brugha said:

765F7C1628D607972FFC7B0E9E97BCB6BBB3AD54

thats  not a 1timer, i farm these 1 vs 2 ai missions, 5th to 1st rate.

AI might use some tricks a player cant...but on the other side, its a bad dancer. Its repertoire is limited to very few moves. Learn these, foresee the next move ...and you win. Even if you make a bad move: in case of emergency you can always kite the ai and repair. Repair is the one thing ai can't do.

Edited by Jan van Santen

16 hours ago, Custard said:

The current AI are not that hard if you think they are then the problem lies somewhere between your keyboard and chair

they are not hard per say, but they teach you wrong things.. like you have to play vs them in a specific way that makes no real sense. if you play like you would vs a player, ai WILL eat you up!

On 4/11/2020 at 3:15 AM, MysteriousHonza said:

AIs are overbuffed as hell, i can take 1st rate in 4th rate too but i have to exploit stupidity of AI and side by side shooting was main thing how to approach combat in age of sails We all know about this though, its a shame, but in this game you get literally no penalty for ramming another ship other then losing your bow spirit (sometimes), you dont even lose crew from falling overboard or breaking bones etc. But its funny how 18pnd frig deals twice as much damage per broadside than your 24pnd frigate. Hell, at diana event, santa cecilia oddamaged my Leopard in one freaking broadside. It did because it was Elite AI. AFAIK they shoot with double balls and charged shot, their performance are boosted in all parameters expect turnrate