Game-Labs Forum

Mast and Rig Port Investment

I feel that this port investment is really underutilised compared to the other bonuses.

Most likely due to it being an awful choice compared to the others once you look at the hard numbers.

This is how it is now

HP Thickness
Mast 0 1 1
Mast 1 1.01 1.01
Mast 2 1.03 1.02
Mast 3 1.05 1.03
Mast 4 1.07 1.05
French 1.07 1.1
Elite French 1.15 1.15

What I propose it become like

HP Thickness
Mast 0 1 1
Mast 1 1.09 1.09
Mast 2 1.1 1.1
Mast 3 1.13 1.13
Mast 4 1.15 1.15
French 1.07 1.1
Elite French 1.15 1.15

This would allow it to become a competitive investment and not just a, "meh, may as well add it because we can't think of anything else to do".

Positives, competitive investment so there's a bit of diversity of port investments depending on the needs of the people who use the port. OW and PvP investments would differ because what's good in a PB is not necessarily what's good for OW, speed, mast, etc...

Negatives, mast rig 4 would be on par with Elite French which would impact the market for that upgrade. You may see less masts falling in battles but I don't know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

It's more the fact that in reality in terms of mast protection, the current port bonuses provide nothing. They're simply not worth having.

I would say it's more about sacrifice of the other bonnuses and the lv3 to lv4 jump(Crew 4 is must have for rep and board, probably Gunnery 4 for juicy 5%pen with all those S woods, and the choice is left with Sail or Hull 4). But yeah, mast protection is no pen or no mast, really. In some cases Elite French bonusses are not even worth it, bumping mast hits from i.e. 6  to 7 for takedown.
Personally i would go for more HP buff than thickness. Adjust and see might be the approach 🙂

Edit:
I think you meant it for the lesser ships wich could sacrifice a bit of sailing speed and close quarters pen for better masts. In that case another (+/-)50pp apart form the RvR one is needed (Nassau FTW).

Edited by Atimk
addition

2 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Drama creates content!

Drama creates toxicity. Part of the reason why the population is decreasing, again.

Creative ideas create content. Ideas that allow players to work together on a common goal, that creates content.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Drama doesn't really create content in any significant way. It's more of an act only those already invested are interested in. If drama created content NA would have no shortage of it, but chart numbers show stagnation for many months. Has anything substantial been added as of late that could be considered significant? The only thing that comes to mind is DLC macro transaction which tore big chunks out of the eco game. When was the last considerable step forward for NA? It wasn't port bonuses, it wasn't gold ships. It wasn't extra currencies. Not really seeing anything ground breaking. So maybe that explains the lack of growth.

As for the topic, mast resistence is already almost nearly zero-sum. All it takes is an any combination of mast mods to become immune in a battle of equal tonnage. Though it could be a useful investment in shallow battles where mast are flicked off anyways thanks to oversized carronades.

Edited by Slim McSauce

On 3/31/2020 at 3:33 AM, Slim McSauce said:

All it takes is an any combination of mast mods to become immune in a battle of equal tonnage.

Do you mean any combination of Heavy Rig, Elite French, Kiritimati, and navy mast bands?

Short of that, 32lb+ long guns are still perfectly able to penetrate in equal rate fights keeping in mind that most mast sniping is done at 50 meters, or at 100-150 with the addition of charged shot. 

• 1 month later...