Game-Labs Forum

Inbalance of single vs twin vs triple

Zak MacKay

Talking late game not early game.

Single turrets I have found to be effective only really when using lighter ammunition. Casemate guns in particular can be quite a bit lighter but tend to cause roll.

Twin guns I find to consistently be the most effective for weight and cost.
Triples are space efficient. The 5% accuracy and ROF reduction is just too much reducing their weight efficiency quite a bit.

I often use triples as I can only fit a few turrets on most ships. If you compare 4 twin vs 3 triples. Twins weigh less, shoot faster, and are more accurate. The size difference is really not that extreme either its a single barrette. So I am often using 4 twins or 4 triples. Twins are just kind of so much stronger then triples right now.

I feel like a mechanic is needed to make triple main guns better. Maybe a overall weight increase as if you give up things like torpedo defense you can have a ton of guns. It would make it harder to make 12 or more gun ships. But compacting the hull and all or nothing around would help remove this weakness.

Generally I find late game tech triples are better than twins because even though individually each turret causes greater pitch, adding more turrets to the hull results in a much increased pitch vs using less triples. For example in the following layout: [2] [2] (Sec) (Pri) [2] [2] you get two pairs of super-firing twin turrets putting 8 barrels on target. With [3] (Sec) (Pri) [3] you get 6 barrels on target, but the pitch is greatly reduced resulting in a significant accuracy buff meaning even after reduction in ROF and accuracy you'll still come out on top since you can use the weight savings for larger caliber guns which is always better in this game than having more smaller calibers. For example, [3x18] (Sec) (Pri) [3x18] will always be better than [2x16] [2x16] (Sec) (Pri) [2x16] [2x16].

I think triples are the go to turret. Maybe if we get quadruple turrets, those will even be better. More output in terms of shots will always beat the small accuracy and reload benefit the twin turrets now have.  If anything I think twin and single turrets should retain some benefit even after introduction of triple and perhaps quadruple turrets to ensure them not becoming totally obsolete. This can even be parameters such as build time and build/maintenance costs.

Edited by Tycondero

Triples are also my go to turret. But I am frequently using 4 of them as their is a bit easy to spam. Twins don't cause that much pitch as their lighter and put a more even placement on the hull. I was just looking at twins and their just good. If I was weight/cost restricted I would use 4 twins instead of 3 triples or 4 triples.

For larger secondaries I am now using twins as I had a nasty tendency to over invest on triple. Some secondary placements I use triples as space is more restrictive then weight. On the side 5-7" gun spam to reduce weight. Where a few key placements of 3-4" triples on the super structure.

More output in terms of shots

4x2 have greater output in terms of shot then 3x3 while being more accurate.