Game-Labs Forum

Need your help: "Too Many Threads" Bug

Dear Admirals,

If you have ever encountered the "Too many threads" error message/crash during your play, we need your help for tracing the issue. 
Please write about your experience by replying in as many questions as possible:

1. In which mission it happened?
  2. How much time passed since start of mission?
  3. How many other missions were played before crashing?
  4. How many ships were engaged for you and enemy (Many/Few/A specific nbr. if you remember)?
  5. What was the distance between engaging ships (close/medium/long range)?
  6. Which speed boost you used?
  7. Were there a lot of gun shootings, or few (e.g all main guns firing plus secondaries)?
  8. Have you ever experienced this error-message outside of a mission? If yes, where (Main Menu, Custom Battle etc.)?

Thank you a lot for your time!

• Like 1

It happened to me twice, in both cases on "The US Super Battleship" mission, I do not remember exactly first time when it happened to me, so I will only tell you about the second time it happened to me as it was not long ago:

1. "The US Super Battleship".

2. About 5-8 minutes in real time (about ~1 hour in game time).

3. Zero, my second try on this mission and first mission of the day.

4. Three Battleships and all DDs were spotted and engaged by my only one Battleship, I'm not sure but the game crashed soon after the fourth Battleship showed up.

5. BB Long, DD Medium.

6. 10x until the enemy fleet was spotted, after that I was playing on x5 speed.

7. Yes, both main and secondaries + torpedoes from enemy DDs.

8. No.

• Like 1

1. custom battle 5 German super battleships vs 3 Italian regular battleships

2. about 5 minutes real time

3. none just went to custom battles to test when this error would occur

4. how many ships were in the battle shooting was 3 enemy battleships shooting at my one battleship while the other 4 battleships I sent away from the battle

5. long range. My ship had 18 inch guns and I had my secondary's on aggressive and they were opening up from hella far away

6. I used 2x speed boost

7.  4 ships in total were firing my BB all guns were firing main and secondary. all 3 enemy ships were firing their main guns

8. I haven't encountered this outside of custom battles

In my encounters errors seem related to a bug allowing secondary guns at some buggy point to fire at any enemy, way out of its intended range, in my memorable encounters. I have been able to fire even 50mm or 2" at 30 nm range. Ofc it takes a while for the shells to arrive, and the 'shooters' estimate of 0% hits are dead on, as I emptied more than 5000 shells with 0 hits, just creating a snowfall effect around the target, as shells are seemingly free falling with no more muzzle ejection force left.

Sometimes this occur, the game fails, other times it does not. But when it crashes, It say Too many threads, following a GC error in a windows splash screen.

In my latest encounter I was able to engage Austria, as Austria, however this bug is a sole encounter, still it crashed with the Too many threads, following a GC window.

Edited by baatsman

Design the H-class

1. How much time passed since start of mission?

Not much, first ranging shot were just fired.

1. How many other missions were played before crashing?

4, I played both ironclad missions twice.

1. How many ships were engaged for you and enemy (Many/Few/A specific nbr. if you remember)?

Only the battleships were engaging.

1. What was the distance between engaging ships (close/medium/long range)?

Long range.

1. Which speed boost you used?

x10

1. Were there a lot of gun shootings, or few (e.g all main guns firing plus secondaries)?

main guns (17"triple), secondairy, (8"triple and 5"triple)

1. Have you ever experienced this error-message outside of a mission? If yes, where (Main Menu, Custom Battle etc.)?

Nope.

It happened to me in the US Super Battleship and in the Design your own H class.  About 5-10 minutes into the battle, speed boost x3, Main guns 18 inch but dont believe secondary guns were firing yet so long range,  I had played from beginning through search and destroy missions without issue.  I never experienced it outside of a mission.

1. Random Battles

2. Seconds after initial contact ~ 30k distance

3. from 3 to 0, restart from previous triggered crashes (multiple retries to provoke this error

4. 1 BB or BC (green)vs (red)1 BB or BC + 2CL + 6DD and/if/or 6-10TR

5. Various, error occurs when or if secondaries are set to agressive, and open fire far beyond intended range(buffer overflow?), error seems likewise in this setting, as this opens for lots of threads as every gun on every ship ,will open fire, thus creating too many threads.

6. Speed boost 30x until lowered by triggered contact reduction.

7. Yes every gun on the built vessel

8. No. If I have time I will try the Game on all my windows computers, just to see if Unity have an issue with different windows versions.

Found a way to reproduce this error, or trigger it quite often.

Your need a ship equipped with secondaries of different calibers, as far as I can figure.

1 Target any opponent, in range of main battery.

2 Set secondaries to 'agressive'

3 Retarget, by mouse selection.If the error procs, the entire battery of secondaries, regardless of range or caliber will now open fire, with 0% chance to hit.

4 Just wait for the error to hard-kill your current game, as this error is not constantly or instanly a gamebreaker, but will generate the too many threads, and the GC error when.

Hope this helps. -Its not an april fools joke, nor would it be any goodone anyway, wasting the time of devs I want to have progress developing the game, not stalled by bug hunting.

Edited by baatsman
More accurate info, and typo corrections

1.In the "US SuperBattleship" mission And twice in the Woulded Beast mission

2. dont Know But the thing is that all the Three times i Almost got the Mission done

3.None

4. In the "Us SuperBattleship" Mission 2 enemy BB and Destroyers  in "Wounded Beast 1BB 3 BC

5.mid to long range

6.  5X

7. All guns were on Argessive Fire Mode

8.No

Edited by Tinorix

I was doing the Dreadnoughts v.s. Modern Heavy Cruisers mission.

1. How much time passed since start of mission?

I'm not exactly sure, but all my guns were firing and I'd already sunk one CA, so I'd guess 10-15 minutes.

1. How many other missions were played before crashing?

None. I had opened up the game and immediately selected that mission.

1. How many ships were engaged for you and enemy (Many/Few/A specific nbr. if you remember)?

There were two battlecruisers and two heavy cruisers.

1. What was the distance between engaging ships (close/medium/long range)?

As almost all of my many secondaries were missing, I'd say long range.

1. Which speed boost you used?

Non-applicable. My BB was going at 36 kts.

1. Were there a lot of gun shootings, or few (e.g all main guns firing plus secondaries)?

Every single one of my secondaries were blazing away.

1. Have you ever experienced this error-message outside of a mission? If yes, where (Main Menu, Custom Battle etc.)?

No, never.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 12:22 PM, Nick Thomadis said:
  4. How many ships were engaged for you and enemy (Many/Few/A specific nbr. if you remember)?
  7. Were there a lot of gun shootings, or few (e.g all main guns firing plus secondaries)?
  8. Have you ever experienced this error-message outside of a mission? If yes, where (Main Menu, Custom Battle etc.)?

1. German Pride

2. It was less than ten minutes in, still firing at long range at the BC.

3. Several, 3-5.

4. Few, the smaller ships we not engaged yet, but my BB and CA were exchanging fire with the BC and BB.

5. Long range.

6. I built a very slow tank of a Bismarck, but I do not recall exactly.

7. Not too many, just the big ones. And I did have 18' guns on mine.

8. First time ever.

On 3/24/2020 at 12:22 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

Dear Admirals,

If you have ever encountered the "Too many threads" error message/crash during your play, we need your help for tracing the issue. 
Please write about your experience by replying in as many questions as possible:

Thank you a lot for your time!

Yes, once so far.

1. Wounded Beast.

2. When the timer was nearly up.

3. Only one attempt at Wounded Beast.

4. At the point of time of the crash there were only 3 ships remaining.

5. Point blank, less then 3 km.

6. x3.

7. What guns still had ammo on both sides were shooting, not an insignificant number even at that late a stage. The main guns of my battleship were off at the time of the crash to conserve ammo for optimal point blank shots.

8. No.

Since this mission was for ongoing youtube series for the game I actually have a video of the entire battle leading up to and including the crash itself with some system specs at the end for reference. The link is provided below, let me know if you cant see it since its set to scheduled but should still be viewable via a link.

https://youtu.be/VmUVh3OhWbg

Good work on the game, its brilliant.

• 4 weeks later...
  1. in which mission it happened? - battle of destroyers
  2. How much time passed since start of mission? - a couple of minutes into the fight
  3. How many other missions were played before crashing? - none
  4. How many ships were engaged for you and enemy (Many/Few/A specific nbr. if you remember)? - 14v14 destroyers and 1 light cruiser
  5. What was the distance between engaging ships (close/medium/long range)? - 10-5KM 
  6. Which speed boost you used? - x5
  7. Were there a lot of gun shootings, or few (e.g all main guns firing plus secondaries)? - Lots of small guns. I notice that if i try equipping my destroyers with side mounted 3 inch guns, the game crashes. if i stick solely with 5 inch guns that does not happen. 
  8. Have you ever experienced this error-message outside of a mission? If yes, where (Main Menu, Custom Battle etc.)? - No

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just been trying to do battle of Destroyers mission. In first instance the game just crashed generationg crash report which is available under link down below.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NWdblRyMXZKxlv5o73-BBebJWuVq9nIv?usp=sharing

Then I did another attempt, but this time I lowered the graphic settings (from Fantastic to Good) and tried again. After some time in battle when all guns were blazing, game crashed again with Too many threads error.

At the time of the crash I have been running at x1 speed and my camera was zoomed out to see large chunk of battle.

Edited by Latur Husky