Game-Labs Forum

Cannon reload rates per ammunition

I suggest there be a difference in the reload rates for the variety of different munitions being loaded into the guns.  The single ball round would be the fastest, and use the least powder, where the double ball takes longer to load (even if only a couple seconds), and uses a little more powder.  Chain takes the same amount of time to load as double ball, and grape take even more time than double shot (considering the balls have to be poured into the cannon, but uses the same amount of powder as single ball).  To offset the additional loading time for grape, increase the amount of damage done to opposing crew (remembering, grape is not just killing crew members, but also rendering them incapacitated and not able to perform their duties).

Sometimes, when the differences are small, and the action intense, it's hard to see.  Maybe a timer on the reload clock, or some other indicator may be in order.

But thank you for your reply.  It seemed the same to me, but I would loose crew and it slowed anyway.

I suggest there be a difference in the reload rates for the variety of different munitions being loaded into the guns.  The single ball round would be the fastest, and use the least powder, where the double ball takes longer to load (even if only a couple seconds), and uses a little more powder.  Chain takes the same amount of time to load as double ball, and grape take even more time than double shot (considering the balls have to be poured into the cannon, but uses the same amount of powder as single ball).  To offset the additional loading time for grape, increase the amount of damage done to opposing crew (remembering, grape is not just killing crew members, but also rendering them incapacitated and not able to perform their duties).

FYI - grapeshot was tied together in a bunch or placed in a closed bag.  I posted a photo in another thread showing shot types used by the Constitution.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/3205-fused-explosive-shells/#entry65504

#17 Grape is in the bag on the left. There is also canister shot in the can of course, which is similar to grape (anti-personnel).

We do of course need to have reload rate effected by crew skill once that is implemented.

Thank you.  Good to know.  Was all canister (grape) shot pre loaded into bags? or just implemented by the smart people on the Constitution?

Yes. Just because of the time and extra effort it would take to load them separately. I haven't heard about any navy or other group which would not used either canister or bagged grapeshots. Maybe somewhere during the history somebody has been fool or desperate enough to do it without a container, but it's not an effective way of loading the cannon.