Game-Labs Forum

'Historical' Submod of J&P Rebalance mod, release thread

adishee

Yes, as I said in my previous post, this was patched a couple of days ago in the newest version (1.2.hf.2). Forgive, I would have warned you to patch, but you said you had upgraded to the latest version so I thought you were good.

Really, I don't understand what could be causing that bug then. Unless I uploaded the wrong version of the mod. Hmm. @i64man If you join the J&P discord and come to the submods section, I can help you sort this out.

Edited by adishee

@adishee it's all good... somehow I missed installing the second hotfix. Had to reply 1st bull run but now everything is fine...getting ready for Shiloh. My only problem is that I only have 1 corps with 22 beds... I can  create another one, but have no officers....still have 3,000+ soldiers,but not enough for the 48 beds needed... oh well!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, i64man said:

@adishee it's all good... somehow I missed installing the second hotfix. Had to reply 1st bull run but now everything is fine...getting ready for Shiloh. My only problem is that I only have 1 corps with 22 beds... I can  create another one, but have no officers....still have 3,000+ soldiers,but not enough for the 48 beds needed... oh well!

@i64man I'm very happy to hear that you got it working correctly, and that now your only problems are not winning :). 

I've attempted to correct the problem of not enough officers by making it a function of Logistics career, although I'm not actually sure this is working correctly (hard to measure). If you put more Log points, you should get more officers -- but this extra amount will only come after a major battle so it's not instant.

In my current Union campaign with a healthy amount of Log, I've been able to keep enough officers on the field to pretty much use up all my recruit supply. So it is possible. This is part of the equation of making the game harder, too: you can't lose those officers, they are valuable and hard to replace. So you have to make battle decisions that reflect your camp situation.

Keep the feedback coming, I love to hear how it's going. Cheers.

ps - might push a new update soon but it won't break anything, just some balance tweaks. Although 1.2.hf.2 seems pretty stable at least.

@adishee I will keep you informed on the campaign..... what I might try, since generals are so important, is to disband at least 2 divisions that have generals and use them to create a second corps, that way I have 2x corps commanders....most of my divisions have 1 star generals in charge

• Like 1

@ adishee ... good morning. just finished Mal vern Hill and see below.... my second corps is ok, it shows all its units, only my first corps show this.... I exited the game, and went back in, same issue..... i restarted my computer, same issue....all the files were properly loaded including hf 2.

20200330062720_1.jpg

@i64man I think this is because you were using that general pre-patch. The bug was a naming bug and Pizo was probably named wrong after going through a battle before h2 (as in, information applied to the general unit when it is produced in the battle area as a unit).  So unfortunately, I think that you can't really use Pizo anymore *edit* as a Corps commander. Try going back through it again with a different general in charge of I Corps (just cheat if you want to test) and see if the same thing happens. I don't think you'll get the same bug.

Edited by adishee

I

LOVE

IT!!!!!!!!!! 

Thanks for making the perfect game the J&P mod made, an even more perfect game.  Superb.

I love playing at real time and it is like being at a reenactment, so it has to be close to historical (or I would think LOL).  I just love everything.  Thank you.

I do have a problem with a blank I Corps screen.  I played Malvern Hill blind.  I was never able to look at I Corps so I had to hope for the best.  I won, but the screen is still blank.  I am almost certain I downloaded the  v1.2.3 release.  I'm a sailor, not a computer guy. LOL  I can never be sure.  But I think so, I can see a change log for it  in UGCW Data, Mod, Rebalance,.  Is it in the wrong place?  Do I need to restart the campaign?  Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you again.

@adishee Hi good morning. First of all, I did as you suggested, replaced my 1st Corp character with another general and replay Malven Hill, not problem. Now, remember that I am playing as the Union. The battle is the Kettle Run. Have you played the Kettle Run? I am to deploy 9 brigades, so since this is not a major battle, i used my 2nd corps to get them some experience.... surprise! It was a route, the AI had at least double the amount of Bde's. There were at least 4 or 5, plus artillery at the victory point, plus another 6 or 7 Bde's and Arty on top of the hill. I replay the mission with my 1st corps, all 9 units 7 Inf 2 Arty with 2/stars and were able only to draw.

Now, I wanted to check the Confederation side and the 1st mission, capture the fort is suicide. Have you play it?

Hello @i64man!

So, this is the part of my submod that has the least refining, the difficulty, because it is only me playtesting it basically and I don't have enough time to do it. I am just now also at Kettle Run for the first time ever in my playtesting, in my campaign. So, sometimes maybe it is too hard.

I have built some controls into the 'Historical.csv' config file for difficulty. It is in mods/rebalance. If you look, there is

extraHard, 0
northTune, 0
southTune, 0

For all of these, adding to 0 will give you more enemy units and subtracting will give you fewer. So, in your case, changing the zero to '-.5' or '-1' would be helpful.

northTune and southTune only affect the small missions, like Kettle Run, for each side. So if Kettle Run is stopping you, you can try changing northTune to '-.5'. extraHard affects all conditions for both sides in the same way.

Also, keep in mind that the enemy sizes are semi-randomized to begin with. They are randomized by unit quantity, and the # of soldiers in each unit to a degree. My point is that every time you restart a battle, you get something a little different. Eventually you should be able to beat it, but also you must refine your strategies! I wanted my submod to be challenging.

Hope that helps. I released a new version, you can upgrade to it if you want, it won't break your campaign.

Cheers

Edited by adishee

well, your mod is challenging ... Like I said, with my experience units, I was able to draw the Kettle run, the next mission is the thorough gap and I beat the mission .. I am now on the 2nd bull run with 2 1/2 corps... are there a lot of changes with the new update? and the Hotfixes roll into it as well?

No, there are no hotfixes, some small balance changes and graphical updates. 

Well I can't even beat Thoroughfare Gap... I also just skipped Seven Pines because it was more costly to win than to just skip it, in terms of casualties. 

On the Thoroughfare gap, what I have done is starting on the right side of the flag, is put 2 bde abreast and 1 battery behind; then 1 more bde on the right flank to counter any move by the AI. on the left side of the flag, take 1 bde to cover the trail approach to the victory point, then I bring 3 more bde to the edge of the trees with 2 batteries and 1 more to cover any manuevers on the left flank... then is wait til the enemy come at me

1 hour ago, CajunNavy said:

adishee, any suggestions for my blank I Corps screen?

Oh no, @CajunNavy, it got you too. This issue was fixed in the previous patch. Please upgrade to the latest version and replay the battle. If that doesn't work, you might have to demote that Corps commander to a brigade commander because once a commander is bugged, he will always be bugged.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, i64man said:

On the Thoroughfare gap, what I have done is starting on the right side of the flag, is put 2 bde abreast and 1 battery behind; then 1 more bde on the right flank to counter any move by the AI. on the left side of the flag, take 1 bde to cover the trail approach to the victory point, then I bring 3 more bde to the edge of the trees with 2 batteries and 1 more to cover any manuevers on the left flank... then is wait til the enemy come at me

So three batteries and nine infantry regiments? Man, I can't even beat it with more than a draw! I'm not very good at my own mod.

• Like 1

It's hard the first time around. It boils down to managing the units on the flanks and use them to reinforce any weak spot. So you have to pay attention to both sides of the trail. Unlike say 2nd bull run, when playing as the south, you know from where the union is coming.

38 minutes ago, i64man said:

It's hard the first time around. It boils down to managing the units on the flanks and use them to reinforce any weak spot. So you have to pay attention to both sides of the trail. Unlike say 2nd bull run, when playing as the south, you know from where the union is coming.

I can't beat it, I think I didn't put enough points in training (only 3) and my force is just not strong enough.