Game-Labs Forum

Naval gun questions

FailKnight

Thanks to the Equipment Mod, I had acces to this readout of the naval gun stats and I have a couple of questions about some of them:

"ID": "4 pdr Woolwich Gun",
    "crew": 2.0,
    "groundBatterySize": 3.0,
    "horizontalTurnMax": 25.0,
    "navalBatterySize": 1.0,
    "reloadTime": 80.0,
    "threat": 235.0,
    "type": "Cannon",
    "verticalTurnMax": 10.0,
    "verticalTurnMin": -5.0,
    "weight": 2.0,
    "goldPrice": 60,
    "Ballistics":
  {
      "verticalSpread": 0.7,
      "radius": 0.04,
      "mass": 3.5,
      "horizontalSpread": 2.6,
      "gravity": 1.0,
      "distance": 950.0,
      "baseY": 0.0,
      "armorPiercing": {lots of stuff}
    }

crew: Fairly obvious that this is the required crew to man the gun, but I wonder, is this an all or nothing number or more a gradient? e.g. a gun has crew 10, if I only have 9 crew available for it, does it cease functioning immediately or has it simply got reduced performance?

groundBatterySize & navalBatterySize: the only ones I'm really clueless about. Since the naval one is always 1.0 and the ground one varies between 1.0 and 3.0, with smaller guns having the higher value I suspect it perhaps has to do with model size?

threat: I am assuming this is for the AI to help in choosing its targets based on equipment, but I want to be sure.

goldPrice: Quite obviously the price of the gun, but I wonder how it is adapted to each campaign, since I recall vastly different prices between British and US campaigns even with the same economic skills.

mass: Looks to be the damage number that is reported on the details screen, but how does this mass interact with (over)penetration to determine actual damage to planking and/or hull?

armorPiercing: This seem to be datapoints for certain % of the guns range, with tangents describing the incoming or outgoing function line, but these tangents currently seem to imply linear progression between all points, though I do see a tangentmode modifier, so I assume it is possible to go for exponential and other forms as well?

10 minutes ago, FailKnight said:

Thanks to the Equipment Mod, I had acces to this readout of the naval gun stats and I have a couple of questions about some of them:

"ID": "4 pdr Woolwich Gun",
    "crew": 2.0,
    "groundBatterySize": 3.0,
    "horizontalTurnMax": 25.0,
    "navalBatterySize": 1.0,
    "reloadTime": 80.0,
    "threat": 235.0,
    "type": "Cannon",
    "verticalTurnMax": 10.0,
    "verticalTurnMin": -5.0,
    "weight": 2.0,
    "goldPrice": 60,
    "Ballistics":
  {
      "verticalSpread": 0.7,
      "radius": 0.04,
      "mass": 3.5,
      "horizontalSpread": 2.6,
      "gravity": 1.0,
      "distance": 950.0,
      "baseY": 0.0,
      "armorPiercing": {lots of stuff}
    }

crew: Fairly obvious that this is the required crew to man the gun, but I wonder, is this an all or nothing number or more a gradient? e.g. a gun has crew 10, if I only have 9 crew available for it, does it cease functioning immediately or has it simply got reduced performance?

groundBatterySize & navalBatterySize: the only ones I'm really clueless about. Since the naval one is always 1.0 and the ground one varies between 1.0 and 3.0, with smaller guns having the higher value I suspect it perhaps has to do with model size?

threat: I am assuming this is for the AI to help in choosing its targets based on equipment, but I want to be sure.

goldPrice: Quite obviously the price of the gun, but I wonder how it is adapted to each campaign, since I recall vastly different prices between British and US campaigns even with the same economic skills.

mass: Looks to be the damage number that is reported on the details screen, but how does this mass interact with (over)penetration to determine actual damage to planking and/or hull?

armorPiercing: This seem to be datapoints for certain % of the guns range, with tangents describing the incoming or outgoing function line, but these tangents currently seem to imply linear progression between all points, though I do see a tangentmode modifier, so I assume it is possible to go for exponential and other forms as well?

Where do you find this information?  How do you access it?

With the caveat that I haven't dug into any of this very seriously yet, and don't intend to until the development pace has slowed down.

1 hour ago, CajunNavy said:

Losses in crew probably reduce performance on a sliding scale. More work than I want to put in currently to provide more details though.

1 hour ago, FailKnight said:

Currently unused

AI decison making related

Several components have this price fed into a randomizer and there are others that have campaign specific evaluations. Someone would probably need to go in and print out the curves to see what exactly is happening.

Someone would need to spend far more time researching to explain.

1 hour ago, CajunNavy said:

This is what the penetration charts in the tooltips display