Game-Labs Forum

Quarantine Stories

admin

On 3/13/2020 at 5:02 AM, Lars Kjaer said:

Well I'm a college professor and my students were.. less than impressed, when the schools, colleges and universities were closed down and they woke up to a message from me:

"I've digitalized all our classes for the next two weeks, first paper is due to be delivered Friday at 12 AM".. I've gotten 14 mails so far from students complaining that it's their "day off"....

That being said, give them a week and those classes are going to look mighty tasty when they start to get bored :)

Yep my university is all but closed, everyone sent home for spring break + two weeks, all classes online, it sucks. I'm in calc II and Physics, which are classes I'd really rather not take online but hey, at least there aren't many cases in my area (yet).

I live in the US. All schools are closed in my state. My boss is keeping the tutoring center where I work open.  You think parents would want to keep their kids home. But nope, today we were crazy busy.

People have been buying out all necessities at the stores. I had to actually buy toilet paper through Amazon bc there is none at any stores.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anne Wildcat said:

People have been buying out all necessities at the stores. I had to actually buy toilet paper through Amazon bc there is none at any stores.  

It’s going to get worse on that front for a week or so. For context I’m a trade butcher. Warehouses and packing companies are struggling to resupply at this point because so many things have oversold. You can’t keep a months worth of meat hanging around just in case, case life on suspension primals caps out at around 45 days, and needs to get moved out well before that. Three days in a row we’ve sold 4 and 5 times our projected numbers with trucks running around the clock. Drivers need sleep and the warehouses around here are basically empty. Meatbuyers are scrounging at this point.

in florida USA- the main industry is tourism..Disney,MGM studios,Seaworld...the Cruise ships...mild winter weather....it is all closed down..now private businesses are following this example...people are acting like another Hurricane is upon us..buying any and all food....but we have yet to be ordered to stay inside.....still, with no work to report to  or recreational places to go- it is good times for naval action

Despite our "libertarian" nature here, and our addiction to anything social the majority of my area ( Lisbon ) is fairly solid.

There are slight shortages but nothing extremely major. People exercise daily ( 5 minutes walk from the sea help a lot ) so there's plenty of space.

My building is only a few neighbors and we all care for the general cleanliness of the place ( we always did, is not only now 🙂 )

On the other hand we have a comunal garden of the building to tend to, and lots of tabletop games to play here with the kids.

All sanitations rules are a bit more harsh at home but that's it for the moment.

I'll be working half remote and half location ( IT ) but being a 10 minute drive isn't as bad as many that have to commute for hours. Gladly i don't work on a "profit" organization but rather a "social support" organization which despite all shortcomings ( lower income, etc ) has extreme benefits in crisis events, with zero impact on income and full support from health services and similar protection services.

The walk at the seaside was good today. 2 hours walk opens your lungs, keep the joints working and keeps mental sanity 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sento de Benimaclet said:

xDDD. Do you know what it is to live in Spain? Survivors is an understatement. 😜

Ps. I understand that you mean the great famine in Ireland of 1845-49

no matter how bad it is you are still better of than the people that came before you. 

Well, about Russia, COVID-19 give me time for play NA more, but my case is more likely an exception. All people work, atleast now. The airline canceled flights to many cities in Europe, we start build 1 new hospital for *anycase*. People dont panic, mostly, many people understand that the panic around the COVID is escalating, but they just have their work and no time and no wish panic :)

medical masks disappeared from drugstore shelves....

I know about our Police and National Guards - the government purchased large sets of medical masks for its employees.. But the same measures were not taken for many employees of medicine... i d k .... 😬

My good friend works in one of the hospitals where the first infected in our country appeared - our media is telling the truth about the number of  infected people, sounds good, but..

But im care about the number of patients with atypical pneumonia in Russia Moscow (havent info about all russia) in February 2020 - it is 37% more then 2019.. as my friend - a virologist: aboit it: "no one will say a coincidence or not, but sounds shit..." maybe we just cant test COVIDin time? 🙄 Maybe not only *we* ?🤔

Anyone know about atypical pneumonia in other countries? primarily interested in numbers... thanks...

P.S. Really dont think what COVID so dangerous...

edit:

more about pandemic in Russia: In fact, every 4-th (need check info, maybe it is not true, but i cant do it  and think it is not so important, in any case 99% of this ppl are ok)  person returning from other countries in the last week receives an SMS notification about the need for self-isolation for 14 days, doctors and police go home to such people, check their physical condition and explain the requirements for self-isolation, rights and fines. (you can't even take out the trash from home).

Media every day say about it, but if we say about ppl 50+ old (highest risk), they dont care about pandemic, in main...
Every 2-nd post (in my experience) in media speaks about a COVID in a political context or tries to achieve its political goals, in support of the government or against... from this, some people have a gag reflex... so sad... telegram channels help with it 🙃

almost person understands that if the same thing happens in Russia as in Europe, our medical system will not cope, so I hope that we will have strict requirements for the isolation and self-isolation of sick and potentially sick people, and the rights and freedoms of people will fade into the background for 14 days :)

when i saw a kickboxing qualifier without spectators - was surprised (was few days ago)
Event more then 5k ppl banned only in Moscow, but not recommended in other states...
Sports event is ok but without fans on tribune, ateast now

Withs markets and stores all is ok ( Yesterday I did not find mushrooms in a supermarket near the house, I think this is a harbinger of shortages and empty shelves, just in case I bought 12 packs of toilet paper, came home, calmed down...)

Edited by DreamMaker

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 6:32 PM, Staunberg🇩🇰 said:

But that said abouth all this. Not really sure this debate belong on a game forum.

Use your common sence guys and lissen to your goverment. Pretty sure the have more experct, than we have here. Unless ofc there is one with thst expertice. And stil I rather follow them, than some random guy, I don't know.

No, please keep posting medical advice on this forum.  It is my only source of information and I follow all advice! (cough....)

I could 100% work from home but the couple hours in the morning i go there, check the systems and deliver some good humour to the people at the place. Nothing like a laugh to make a gloomy day much more bright.

Remote school classes started today and the youngsters are busy setting all up and seeing how it all works. They already made a test of French and have a Maths one after lunch. Pretty solid so far and actually the teacher can dedicate time to a couple students explaining stuff without the normal interruptions of a classroom.

An important thing for us citizens of the Free Societies is that we the people make our own safety and protect each other and we don't need to rely on authoritarian measures to provide it for us. We grew up in liberty so we can do what we must to protect all of us when needed. So don't be an idiot and don't force the hand of freedom to act against you by acting against the health measures.

Been spending less time at the PC and way more at the table playing Black Seas ( and painting and modelling the ships ), playing Tank Duel which is a blast and even the kids and gf love it albeit not being wargamers or liking history that much. On the solo side, going through The Last Hundred Yards and learning Wings of the Motherland.

Alberta is now shutting down  or slowing down. Compared to elsewhere just cities getting hit nothing out in our rural areas so far as people are staying home or self isolating coming back from trips.

Most are implementing work from home with those that can't paid vacation or no wait employment insurance payments and those that can't get that other means to make sure they are ok.

Remote school starts today and stores well stocked and implementing no hoarding purchases policy so we are good where I live for now. 

Take care everyone .

• Like 1

I decided to look at people I meet on public transport on the way from home to work. I was wondering if there are many people and what age they wear protective masks in Moscow. 
On the way I met few people with medical masks on their faces. I met 24 people with masks, 16 of them were aged 20-30 years. Mass hysteria works better on active consumers of social networks. Where to launch and distribute fake news or videos is much easier.
For the sake of explanation: age determined on his opinion, this is to the issue of error of my statistics ))). But in general, most people wearing medical masks on the subway are young people. These are the people that I saw.

(Translated with Translator)

• Like 1

My workplace has ordered to work in shifts due to corona. I'm working for the tax administration. Office has been closed for public, only correspondence is through Mail and Phonecalls. Already getting loads of calls of people claiming they cannot or will not be able to pay their taxes..

There is no countrywide "lockdown" as in ban on going out yet. But this might happen soon, as people (especially the young generation) don't seem to care much about what is going on. "Oh I'm young and fit, I won't be affected by Corona" - not realizing the issue is not them suffering (or not) from the virus, but them HAVING and SPREADING it to those who are affected much more..

• Like 2

( is FRIDAY ! woo hoo ! )

All systems nominal at the office. All taken care of.

Morale is high and everyone cheers up everyone else that shows up. Nay sayers and negative chatters are purely ignored. Everyone, including board and directors that were in there today gave a hand to the team preparing the supply bags to be delivered to the elders during the weekend.

We are either part of the solution, or a piece of the problem

Supermarkets are well supplied ( thanks to all logistics workers ) and established a 2 hour for elders. Is working perfectly and everyone is pretty civilized. No one is taking excess so there's enough for everybody. I know some areas are not this peaceful and some situations arose when clients trying to hoarde too much of anything were invited to reduce the quantities - invited meaning, you either do it or you get expelled without anything. "No sir, you do not need all the pineapples in the store!" kind of thing.

A elder lady in the supermarket insisted in not using any gloves as she touched every single piece of fruit until she found the one that please her touch. Kindly had to remind her that is her and everyone and suggested that she used her hand inside a bag to do it. It worked, as she didn't thought of that and was thankful.

On the other hand a young adult male was quite rude when he was told to keep a healthy distance in the queue. But i guess he was just suffering from hard drugs withdrawal symptoms.

My area looks solid following the emergency protocols that entered in effect since today midnight. Sadly there are areas with much higher population density where risk is ultra high and bosses not giving a rat's arse about both public and employees - all non essential commerce had to close. That includes smartphone stores, lingerie and other similar luxury items commerce. These bosses will have a surprise during today or so a bird told me.

We are not confined to our quarter. Which means anyone can make a good walk, by seaside ( in my case ) or along the parks, but circulation is advised to be very low density. Majority of people in my area spread out throughout the day in their walks, which means there's never a lot of people anywhere.

Remote classes are working perfectly, in the cases i follow. Teachers are always on for students. Schedules are maintained although there's more free time overall.

Health personnel keeps working round the clock. Military been side by side with them since the very first day. Same as all social support institutions.

Air is way way less polluted, there's not even a comparison. It feels the same as when one goes to the countryside away from any town.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...