Game-Labs Forum

Mission-by-Mission Milestones (British, Easy)

So I'm a first timer to the Ultimate series, and I'm noticing as I'm slowly learning my way through my first campaign that you need to have won "by enough" in previous stages to be in a decent position in later stages. I've restarted a few times, using what I learned to do better in earlier stages so I could advance. It feels like at an entry level of skill that you can find yourself in a place where you need X for a mission but don't have the gold to buy it unless you've planned ahead 2-3 missions. What are good target benchmarks for the campaign?

I'm thinking things like "you need 2 full troop transports (and decent troops) for Crossfire" or "you need at least a 5th rate if you want to capture a ship in Fireworks" or "you need 5-6 land units for Snatch".

Thoughts? Obviously I'm a noob playing on Easy, so I don't know if what seem like reasonable milestones for me are silly to more veteran players (maybe some of you are out there capturing 5th rates with 7th rates?)

• Like 1

Ending up in situations where a campaign can not be progressed and needs to be restarted is somewhat common in the UG series. I would recommend getting in the habit of making, and keeping, saves after every battle. That way you can go back a battle or two if you get stuck without having to restart the entire campaign.

Those benchmarks seem reasonable. What you need for fireworks will vary greatly depending on if you are destroying the third rate with fire ships or trying to capture it. You've definitely got the right idea though, the more you play the battles the more ways you'll find to optimize your results.

22 minutes ago, ZachPruckowski said:

I had enough difficulty capturing the 5th rate, LOL. I doubt anyone looking for a beginner's guide is gonna be capturing that 3rd rate.

Based on some of the steam forum comments there seem to be plenty of people trying that exact thing, but I agree.

I don't know if anyone is capturing 5th rates with 7th rate sloops but it's probably possible. You can definitely do it with a 7th rate brig, but it isn't easy.

Edited by pandakraut

It might be really helpful to have some general guidelines in terms of milestones then - to someone who is unfamiliar with the concept, "not winning early missions by enough to build for later missions" looks like "I was advancing and then suddenly hit a brick wall of impossible missions".