Game-Labs Forum

Stern Damage

CAPT E.

To the game developers:

On several occasions, I have used my ships to force an enemy ship aground, bow in.  I've then pulled in and anchored perpendicular to the stern of the grounded ship and sat there bombarding the grounded ship with my cannons.  My impression is that damage to a ship's stern may not be accounted for realistically by the game mechanics.

First, I tried using canister shot to rake the decks and take out crew.  Canister shot appears very ineffective in this instance.  Given that the quarterdeck and poop deck are elevated, the lack of effect due to canister shot at the stern might be reasonable, as the crew working on the main deck might be protected by the ships superstructure astern.

But I have also tried using regular round shot, and it also seems rather ineffective, particularly considering that stern armoring is thinner than side armoring.  As a minimum, one would expect that continuous bombardment of a ship's stern by round shot should disintegrate the rudder and damage the steering tackle beyond any hope of repair at sea.  But the shot should also destroy the captain's and mate's cabins, and probably the infirmary, which should have a consequential effect on crew morale, disability, and mortality.  And I would also think that continuous bombardment of ship's stern with round shot should be able to sink the ship (which has never occurred in my attempts).

Given these observations, you might wish to reconsider whether game mechanics are properly accounting for cannon damage to a ship's stern.  Also, a damage indicator for the stern---similar to those for port and starboard armoring---would be helpful, so the warfighter could assess how much damage was being done to the enemy ship.

Thanks for a great game and particularly for being receptive to concerns and suggestions by the "rank and file."

Regards,
CAPT E.

Edited by CAPT E.

Some details that would probably help to provide.

• When you were using canister how much armor had been stripped off?
  • When you were using solid shot how much armor had been stripped off?
  • Was manual being used?
  • If manual aim was used, where was the focus point? Screenshots would probably be best.

Edited by pandakraut