Game-Labs Forum

Boarding Success Criteria

At the moment for a win boarding diminishes both crews until one of them reaches zero, essentially they fight to the death, which isn’t very realistic since crews would actually surrender way sooner.

So I suggest adding some more surrendering criteria’s but still keep total lost.

• 80% lost  (new).
  • Outnumber 3 to 1 (new). 
  • Rate of lost (new).
  • 100% lost (current criteria).

80% Lost. This criteria is meet if one off the crews has lost 80% and is outnumber by more than 50%, they simply had enough.

Outnumber 3 to 1. This criteria is meet if one off crews is outnumber by 0.66% and that crew has lost more than 20%. This is during the battle and if one side achieves outnumbering. At 3 guns to 1, I know I would stick my hands up into the air.

Rate of lost. This criteria is for if one side has greater weapons or armour, basically a outgunned scenario, no matter how hard an outgunned crew tries, they are never going to win.

100% lost. If both sides are evenly matched in both crew numbers, morale and weapons & armour, then the fight just continues to the death. Also this criteria is needed as the default, incase the other criteria's aren't meet and the fight really does need to diminish to a slaughter.  

Now what we have is a captured ship and 'captured crews', so now we can add in some 'boarded' options.

• Replace crew (currently).
  • Move Troops (current).
  • Commandeer crew (new).
  • Dispatch guards (new).

Note trait, capture crews can rebel.

Replace crew. Essentially kill all the survivors and therefore no chance for dead crew to rebel.

Move Troops. Currently we can move troops & an officer over to the capture ship but now they would have an extra role of supressing any rebellion. While troops are onboard, over time rebellion chance would reduce until crews are fully converted. With an officer and his full unit, this would have the fastest conversion rate and a rate fast enough for this unit and the capture ship to be used again, if applicable. Must have enough surviving crew.

Commandeer crew. Riskiest option, player gambles that captured crews won’t rebel. Game to roll the dice here (maybe based on captain charisma). Overall the game needs this option for as it would still be a real life option, just not a very good one. Must have enough surviving crew.

Dispatch guards. Just like dispatching skirmishers, a player would select a troop unit and then dispatch guards from them, placing them onboard the capture ship as a unit, supressing any rebellion, and at the same time keeping a troop unit intact on the original ship. While these guards are onboard, over time rebellion chance would reduce until crews are fully converted. Would be the best and most used option. Conversion rate is based on force size but generally a slow rate. Original unit to have its skirmishers disable on land. Must have enough surviving crew. 

Note, fully converted crews should be kept after the battle.

Summary.
I’ve played up to campaign EN 2.3 and I think capturing ships is going to be a big part of the game so maybe we need to add some more gameplay volume into this aspect. Secondly, seeing crews reduce to zero during boarding doesn’t seem that realistic, surely crews wouldn’t fight to the death all the time, wouldn’t they surrender as soon as they knew the game was up? 

Land and sea units both have surrendering AI but not boarding!

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, KilroyWH78 said:

i would add that losing officers in battle should influence the chance of the crew to surrender and also decrease the chance of rebellion, in case of the captured crew

Could be done as a ship upgrade, e.g. “Marines to target Officers” upgrade, once assigned there would be a greater chance of an officer kill and/or sooner surrendering, like surrendering with a higher amount of crew available. 

3 hours ago, Skeksis said:

Could be done as a ship upgrade, e.g. “Marines to target Officers” upgrade, once assigned there would be a greater chance of an officer kill and/or sooner surrendering, like surrendering with a higher amount of crew available. 

the way upgrades work id rather not have it that way, more like linked to the skills/experience of the crew