Game-Labs Forum

Upcoming Alpha-5

The nerve of him delaying an alpha patch for several days! Shameful display! Dishonorable!

I’d rather this game be delayed months than rushed out early, buggy, and incomplete. I want the public to see this game polished, and if it takes until the winter, then it does. We bought this game in this state and have seen it improve drastically and to test it for this reason! We can wait. We’re just excited!

I don’t think ANY of us are concerned that this game is gonna be suddenly abandoned. The sheer transparency and responses from Nick and the rest of the team prove that. Take your time, Darth. I’ve played every single one of your Total War mods; I know what quality you can do. And you’ve proven it again with this game.

Seriously, your AI in your mods were... frightful at times.

Edited by KiltedKey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2020 at 9:40 AM, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello Admirals,

We would like to share information about the upcoming major update of Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts. Here is what is included:

Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts Alpha-5
SPECIAL NEW FEATURES
Shells that seem to follow targets during evasive maneuvers: It should be completely fixed and more improvements will follow to address any related issue.

• Ramming damage: Finally, ships receive damage when they collide with each other. There is not a special visual effect yet but you will hear a distinctive sound effect after the collision. Known issues of inconsistent ramming damage will be addressed in a next update. (Note: Damage will happen against hostile ships only).

SHIP DESIGNER IMPROVEMENTS

• Operational Range is locked in “Medium” for Naval Academy (it will work fully in campaign). The player will no longer exploit the system by setting it at minimum range and create overpowered ships versus the AI.

BALANCES/COMBAT IMPROVEMENT

• Torpedoes can now cause ammo detonation, if they penetrate the hull. Torpedoes of large diameter will be extremely dangerous, even to large and well protected battleships.

Evasive maneuvers - so does this mean that hits now are not precalculated as I think Steeltrap indicated elsewhere and chasing the splash is now possible?

Now it works like this: system calculates an aim point based on target behavior at point of system targeting, short delay to when guns actually fire, probability model determines where shells actually land with respect to the targeting aim point, a hit occurs if where the shells actually land coincide with where the target ship actually is where/when shells land? 

Ramming - can imagine there's a code reason why friendly ships can't damage each other by collison now - but  friendly ships should damage each other if they collide at some point - especially for campaign. Historically this happened a good deal especially during evasive maneuvers, Mikuma/Mogami for example, and really affect ship speed - bad news in a battle. For the campaign - this could mean losing a key ships availability right when its needed.

Operational Range - have been designing mine with medium-long range anyway to train for campaign, can live with this, but how hard to just allow medium and up?

Torpedoes - to the extensive discussion above - how does the system determine if a hull is penetrated by torpedo?

1 hour ago, skg02 said:

Ramming - can imagine there's a code reason why friendly ships can't damage each other by collison now - but  friendly ships should damage each other if they collide at some point - especially for campaign. Historically this happened a good deal especially during evasive maneuvers, Mikuma/Mogami for example, and really affect ship speed - bad news in a battle. For the campaign - this could mean losing a key ships availability right when its needed.

@skg02While yes it would be historically accurate, there are many moments I am thankful for no ram damage. The path finding is terrible leading to many ships colliding even when you give the ships a heading at the start of a battle. Also AI controlled ships like to barge any units that cause an obstruction, especially destroyers sending it through a battleship division. its best to smug realism to avoid massive frustration of damaging your own ships during the campaign due to circumstances that are most likely not the player's fault. Now this isn't even mentioning the hostile force maybe committing mass suicide in a bid to change formation to begin their attack. Now that would make battles a lot less interesting, Especially  when a major fleet battle turns into picking off stragglers before a shot is even fired. I believe this is the right decision from a game play standpoint to relieve stress during complicated battles.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ThatOneBounced said:

@skg02While yes it would be historically accurate, there are many moments I am thankful for no ram damage. The path finding is terrible leading to many ships colliding even when you give the ships a heading at the start of a battle. Also AI controlled ships like to barge any units that cause an obstruction, especially destroyers sending it through a battleship division. its best to smug realism to avoid massive frustration of damaging your own ships during the campaign due to circumstances that are most likely not the player's fault. Now this isn't even mentioning the hostile force maybe committing mass suicide in a bid to change formation to begin their attack. Now that would make battles a lot less interesting, Especially  when a major fleet battle turns into picking off stragglers before a shot is even fired. I believe this is the right decision from a game play standpoint to relieve stress during complicated battles.

Fair points. Would agree that the current pathfinding would have to be fixed before implementing collisions between friendly ships.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:40 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

SHIP DESIGNER IMPROVEMENTS

• Operational Range is locked in “Medium” for Naval Academy (it will work fully in campaign). The player will no longer exploit the system by setting it at minimum range and create overpowered ships versus the AI.

I'll patiently wait, but here: How many people seriously think they were able to make "overpowered ships" versus the AI in the recent scenarios?