Game-Labs Forum
Fletch

Is there any ship that can hold its own against a snow?

How the hell are you supposed to get a Snow off your arse in this game?

They seem to turn like dodgem cars, they are fast they hit hard, I have tried to fight them a couple of times in a 5th rate and you are lucky if you get a shot off on them after the initial closing.

Is a fleet ship the answer? 

Sail a Prince de Neufchatel for a bit....  you can whoop their ass to your heart's content.

• Like 1

I tried A Niagara but the front mast gets rammed off very easy   A prince cant fit the 32lb carros can it brawl with the Snow? 

Try a Snow...

I ever dismasted a snow with a carronade based Pandora. I chained her then ran in zigzags, striking the masts at each zig and each zag. The panda had only the 32 pounds carronades, not the smaller ones, nor the stupid 2 pounders (to save reload time and optimise the precision of fire)

Edited by Aquillas

5 hours ago, Fletch said:

I tried A Niagara but the front mast gets rammed off very easy   A prince cant fit the 32lb carros can it brawl with the Snow? 

You don't have to brawl against a snow with carros…   nor should you.  You need a fore-aft rigged vessel like the Prince.   However, most players have the attention span of a flea and get really pissy when you stay just outside of carro range and peck away with your 6-lb longs.  The best way is to pull away upwind and turn and put single shots through his bow, slowly taking away his structure.  The trick is to save enough chain for when he inevitably starts swearing at you and calling you a pussy for not going yardarm to yardarm with him.  Its great fun.

Edited by Vernon Merrill
  • Like 1

Thank you Vernon

It works, I kept 2 seal clubbers  in battle for an hour they cant kill you as long as the masts stay up witch they did,  I was not able to get a kill but with practice and control perk I think I can.

Or if not at least keep them in battle for an hour and a half and that will keep other players safe.

Prince with longs and mast upgrade mods did very well indeed

Edited by Fletch

There are ways to fight snows, still I think the turn rate should be decreased. Even ai snows turn like crazy. 

From the gameplay point of view fast and fast turning ships shall only have small guns, while the sluggish, bad turning ones should be able to carry the big cannons, at least my opinion...

• Like 4

On 2/27/2020 at 12:33 AM, BoatyMcBoatFace said:

niagaras are good for it. they are mostly obscured by water making them hard to hit by snows. and snows are tall... mmm tasty. 

Tried this, the Niagara is a good brawler but its weakness is the mast sticks out a long way in front. The result is the Snow can ram the Niagara and almost always come out better off.

Snow reminds of a kid playing with remote controlled toy-car, .. you know ones accelerate really fast, instant-stop and turn back and forth. If snow was a spaceship it would be awsome. But it's supposed to be a ship from 17th century. 

That's why i would never sail it, absolute zero feeling of sailing a ship. I can see why alot of people can't stand sailing it even though it's OP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/27/2020 at 1:28 AM, Sea Archer said:

There are ways to fight snows, still I think the turn rate should be decreased. Even ai snows turn like crazy. 

From the gameplay point of view fast and fast turning ships shall only have small guns, while the sluggish, bad turning ones should be able to carry the big cannons, at least my opinion...

I kinda agree, from a balance standpoint I think snow is over-gunned.

SNOW FAN TRIGGER WARNING: (i'm gonna throw some shade here)

I also kinda doubt the real HMS Ontario had weather deck guns other than small bow and stern chasers, I know "technical schematics" you find online and models people build show 4 guns + two chasers at the stern up there and two bow chasers...but pictures of the wreck you can only see two chasers bow and stern (and drawings). So what does that mean? did people read the records saying it's a 22 gun ship and count the guns on the wreck and just assume "oh well those 4 must be missing". I just don't think there is any solid proof that the real HMS ontario was as armed to the teeth as the one we have now...hell...it was a glorified transport.  If you wanna roll a real HMS Ontario build you get the trade version, nix the weather deck guns and stuff the hold with passengers. When she went down there were 130 people on board, but something only like 30 were actual crew, the rest were passengers/troops (allegedly rebel prisoners too) 4 Native Americans and some children. But of course this translates in game to a looney toones-esque  turn-on-a-dime gank boat with, of course, 4 possibly made up cannonades at the top. on and by the way it foundered in a storm...but it's not torn to bits on the bottom so i kinda wonder just how seaworthy is really was. the cannons are there, bell, masts, yards,glass in the back..... basically the whole ship. it's not like it was smashed in some crazy "100 year" storm.

now I get it, "but Gimpy just because it didn't have those guns when it foundered doesn't mean it didn't have them". 

well she was basically brand new when foundered so i would think that if at any time it was gonna have the full 22 guns it would be then.

or: "maybe they slipped off when it sunk". well, then were did they go? why is the railing not shattered if they fell off...how are chasers still there but no broadside weather deck guns? 

so: IRL the Snow (Ontario) is/was a 18 gun 6th rate trade ship. 

ontario drawing.gif

ontario stern chaser.png

ontario stern.jpg

ontario weather deck.jpg

ontario bow chaser.jpg

Edited by Gimpy117
  • Like 4

@Gimpy117

The Snow was much closer to her IRL version and better balanced when the carros were limited to 18 lb. 

• Like 3

The Snow is in need of some serious balancing; not just with the comically fast turn rate and acceleration, but with regards to battle rating and what battles it should be allowed to enter into.

Or do people really believe that a Snow captain would take on a redoubtable with a tiny brig by stern camping?

I realize I'd lose my fun by saying this, because I love making people suffer in the Snow, but they are just plain OP.

I had the pleasure of having 3 carro snows on the ass of my redoubtable for an hour or so until they ran off hurling insults.  They had turned up in the capital zone seeking easy targets while avoiding the Imperial fleet (of course).

I found it impossible to counter them, they were simply to nimble to bring into the arc of shot. They chain dis-mastered me at least twice maybe three times (i'm talking canoe). The only reason I did not sink is because of the inherent godliness of the Redoubtable. 

I've thought about it since and i think if I am ever in that situation again a possible tactic is to sail backwards.  Not sure it would turn out any better but somehow I feel like it might make their camping a bit harder, and a SOL travelling backwards is a lot more maneuverable.

That's my plan anyhow.

• Like 1