Game-Labs Forum

What would you think if single, twin, and triple turrets where slightly different sizes?

Zak MacKay

Right now if you can fit a double you can get a triple in. What if their was a size difference to greater diversity options.

So on some narrow places of hull only a double would fit. Like the pensacola cruiser with superfiring triple over twin turrets. Or on some narrow hull designs you could not fit a triple so have to use twin if you want the biggest guns.

Even if the actual mounting options did not change. A smaller twin turret would have better arcs. So on something like the bismarck you may pick twin to get better arcs and 

The standard barbette right now can use triple 15" guns. With the size difference it could also be able to use twin 16", and if added quad 14". I think this would give more options in which size guns you use

For secondaries you would not be as locked into a single size. It would hopefully mean if you want the strongest secondaries you don't just cover it in tiny triple mounts but instead single.

Not totally sure on the implementation but variable turret sizes would be a nice additional layer to ship design. Perhaps just a basic standard or cramped toggle with cramped turrets sacrificing rof and dispersion in return for being a bit lighter and taking up less space. Obviously a standard turret is preferable but when an arms treaty or inadequate infrastructure is limiting how big you can build such tradeoffs are worth exploring.

The Kirov's triple turrets are a perfect example of this irl

• Like 1

I was thinking simpler of just single, double, and triple being different sizes. Easier to implement and more straight forward. Not a large mechanical change like doubling turret options. Just increase the difference between existing.

Right now once you get though tech singles are just bad with little advantages. Doubles I calculated have some weight/cost advantages and triples have space. With the change you can use smaller turrets in places where triples would not fit. Getting better arcs or on smaller hulls.

I think the british 18 inch monitors and large light cruiser mounts where adapted from the 15". So instead of needing a yamato sized turret for a single gun it's much much smaller and would fit on most barbettes.

Triple secondaries would no longer fit everywhere meaning you use doubles or singles. Unless you downsize for smaller guns.

• Like 1