Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum

How many balls do you posses


Recommended Posts

Hi,

One of the most unrealistic aspects of NA is the possession of balls > who are unlimited 

unless you play with chain double balls or charge where everybody is restricted heavenly (too much)

but ball are unlimited and do not even capsize your ship .lol

or slow  down your ship by weight .

where 10 bananas weigh so much it slows you down  like being  a snake

 

similar complaint were found randomly on the internet of being one of the complaints at video games in general  

but NA posses some of these mechanics too , for example  : the ammunition complain keengamer  TOP 20 UNREALISTIC VIDEO GAME MECHANICS.

AMMUNITION

Militaries must be developing some incredible technology because Call of Duty and Battlefield will convince you that soldiers can run around with 30 extra magazines, that somehow fit universally into every single rifle ever made, including the foreign weapons wielded by your enemies. Not only that but ejecting a half-empty clip will magically redistribute the leftover ammunition into your remaining arsenal of magazines. Not a single bullet wasted then, admirable.

 

and somehow i agree..

let's get rid of those weird mechanics who ad nothing to the believability of a game anno 2020 .

if bananas and coconuts have weight ...

than ball should have weight to.

 

be realistic about your game.  you play

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Thonys said:

Hi,

One of the most unrealistic aspects of NA is the possession of balls > who are unlimited 

unless you play with chain double balls or charge where everybody is restricted heavenly (too much)

but ball are unlimited and do not even capsize your ship .lol

or slow  down your ship by weight .

where 10 bananas weigh so much it slows you down  like being  a snake

 

similar complaint were found randomly on the internet of being one of the complaints at video games in general  

but NA posses some of these mechanics too , for example  : the ammunition complain keengamer  TOP 20 UNREALISTIC VIDEO GAME MECHANICS.

AMMUNITION

Militaries must be developing some incredible technology because Call of Duty and Battlefield will convince you that soldiers can run around with 30 extra magazines, that somehow fit universally into every single rifle ever made, including the foreign weapons wielded by your enemies. Not only that but ejecting a half-empty clip will magically redistribute the leftover ammunition into your remaining arsenal of magazines. Not a single bullet wasted then, admirable.

 

and somehow i agree..

let's get rid of those weird mechanics who ad nothing to the believability of a game anno 2020 .

if bananas and coconuts have weight ...

than ball should have weight to.

 

be realistic about your game.  you play

The question is, how could you possibly limit ammunition in a game that lets people repair so much damage to their ships? Before you even think about reducing ammo you would have to reduce or remove the magic ship repairs that take place in a battle.. We already have the imbalance of limited chain shot but unlimited sail repair. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ships were designed to carry full stock of cannon balls, why would that make them slower. And even if without any balls left, the ship would not necessary be faster, just sitting higher on the water, so less performant in most of the case.

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The question is, how could you possibly limit ammunition in a game that lets people repair so much damage to their ships? Before you even think about reducing ammo you would have to reduce or remove the magic ship repairs that take place in a battle.. We already have the imbalance of limited chain shot but unlimited sail repair. 

that's exactly the point (limitations and restrictions on one side and unreal other mechanics on the other side )

ad weight to ball (is a solution)

make your own discussion about weight, what has  a deeper effect>>   on you sailing a ship  .

so >> more realism is brought back to NA 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

Ships were designed to carry full stock of cannon balls, why would that make them slower. End even if without any balls left, the ship would not necessary be faster, just sitting higher on the water, so less performant in most of the case.

not true..

after a day s fight every ship needed to be  replenished with new ammo and food and crew, gunpowder ,sail.(mostly done by waiting ships at a given point)

what also included ammo. 

Edited by Thonys
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Thonys said:

mostly done by waiting ships at a given point

Applies in blockade duty and being brought up necessaries by tenders.

At operational level the captain of a frigate had to be resourceful regarding supplies. Some could be arranged at natural anchor points away from any ports - usually for wood, water, forage - and then to ports - again water and forage but also tools and any specialized items and repairs - and also major ports - ad-hoc refits, repairs and replenishment of whatever ship needed IF said port had the facilities ( a major trade hub is not necessarily also a naval base ).

At operational level, a SOL fleet would sail with purpose, not to just cruise around. If strategic objective not met, they would return to base.

All of this cannot be simulated in the game.

Design choice of infinite ball meets realism as you may shoot, say, 180 broadsides during a full engagement, 2 per minute, 90 minutes. That is not far from any realism. If anything is "realistic design not considering exceptions that might have happened"; and a few did.

More important, for any ship in all ages, than the amount of ammunition is the amount of water. And we don't have to manage that.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Applies in blockade duty and being brought up necessaries by tenders.

At operational level the captain of a frigate had to be resourceful regarding supplies. Some could be arranged at natural anchor points away from any ports - usually for wood, water, forage - and then to ports - again water and forage but also tools and any specialized items and repairs - and also major ports - ad-hoc refits, repairs and replenishment of whatever ship needed IF said port had the facilities ( a major trade hub is not necessarily also a naval base ).

At operational level, a SOL fleet would sail with purpose, not to just cruise around. If strategic objective not met, they would return to base.

All of this cannot be simulated in the game.

Design choice of infinite ball meets realism as you may shoot, say, 180 broadsides during a full engagement, 2 per minute, 90 minutes. That is not far from any realism. If anything is "realistic design not considering exceptions that might have happened"; and a few did.

More important, for any ship in all ages, than the amount of ammunition is the amount of water. And we don't have to manage that.

So .....why is chain limited ? 

do we [{dont]} have to manage that too....????

ohw wait............. it is managed ....sorry

 

ps. ball is not chain,  chain is a chain with a ball . totally different... is it not.[ oranges or potato = oranges weigh nothing but a potato is limited  ]

how many balls do you have ...ohw.... its limited  i guess.(nothing personal but in general) :)

Edited by Thonys
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Thonys said:

So .....why is chain limited ? 

do we [{dont]} have to manage that too....????

ohw wait............. it is managed ....sorry

The reason chain was limited was to  take away the ability of noobs to shoot out the sails of the expert gankers and their expensive ships that hang around outside nation capitals. You have be an elite mast sniper if you want to play those sort of games

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The reason chain was limited was to  take away the ability of noobs to shoot out the sails of the expert gankers and their expensive ships that hang around outside nation capitals. You have be an elite mast sniper if you want to play those sort of games

that's a skill

also a way to sink the nebies>>  in favor of the greatest EGO`s

lets sink the newbies song over and over 

 

ps .if you don't have guns on your ship ,how on earth are you going to demast (snipe ) a vessel...(thats managed)

for me it is very simple>>  to have a deeper realistic game [[just like realistic wind and sails are coming to]]>>  we need limited ball introduced to the game. and take the amount of ball by choice of the captain.(and where ball has weight also)

it closes the gap from a  fantasy game >>   to a realistic game.

(solving [and closing] one of the unrealistic mechanics in NA )

Edited by Thonys
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Thonys said:

that's a skill

also a way to sink the nebies>>  in favor of the greatest EGO`s

lets sink the newbies song over and over 

 

ps .if you don't have guns on your ship ,how on earth are you going to demast (snipe ) a vessel...(thats managed)

for me it is very simple>>  to have a deeper realistic game [[just like realistic wind and sails are coming to]]>>  we need limited ball introduced to the game. and take the amount of ball by choice of the captain.(and where ball has weight also)

it closes the gap from a  fantasy game >>   to a realistic game.

(solving [and closing] one of the unrealistic mechanics in NA )

the amount of powder and shot in this game is realistic for a 90 min fight, HMS victor carried 35 tonnes of gun powder and 135 tonnes of round shot when it was fully restocked

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reorx Redbeard said:

the amount of powder and shot in this game is realistic for a 90 min fight, HMS victor carried 35 tonnes of gun powder and 135 tonnes of round shot when it was fully restocked

 

and what would 170.000 kg do on a snow ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Thonys said:

not true..

after a day s fight every ship needed to be  replenished with new ammo and food and crew, gunpowder ,sail.(mostly done by waiting ships at a given point)

what also included ammo. 

[..]One of the most unrealistic aspects of NA is the possession of balls > who are unlimited 

[..]similar complaint were found randomly on the internet of being one of the complaints at video games in general  

but NA posses some of these mechanics too , for example  : the ammunition complain keengamer  TOP 20 UNREALISTIC VIDEO GAME MECHANICS.

[..]

?? source pls

I'm sorry but I think you need to take a look at reality before shitting on a game in caps.

SoL carried plenty of round shot, in British service at least 50 per gun off the top of my head plus extra bar, grape and chain and the required gunpowder. Spare sail cloth and rigging was also carried. If a SoL was unable to get jury rigs working and limp home on its own power it tended to be towed back home by a friendly Frigate or other SoL.

Fights in NA are limited to 1:30 - it would be almost impossible for a real life crew to empty the ship's magazine firing their guns. There is plenty of things that are unrealistic about NA .. but this isn't. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Snoopy said:

?? source pls

I'm sorry but I think you need to take a look at reality before shitting on a game in caps.

SoL carried plenty of round shot, in British service at least 50 per gun off the top of my head plus extra bar, grape and chain and the required gunpowder. Spare sail cloth and rigging was also carried. If a SoL was unable to get jury rigs working and limp home on its own power it tended to be towed back home by a friendly Frigate or other SoL.

Fights in NA are limited to 1:30 - it would be almost impossible for a real life crew to empty the ship's magazine firing their guns. There is plenty of things that are unrealistic about NA .. but this isn't. 

 

 

first : go and see and read for yourself

the ball is as light of a feather when it hits your hull and feathers don't do harm...

second you are in denial.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Thonys It's not the amount of balls you have that the chicks digs... It's the size and calibre of them...

68pd carros here, short, thick and slightly leaning to the left.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reorx Redbeard said:

another thing you should take into consideration is that many naval battles ended with captains surrendering rather than ships being sunk. 

Or running out of balls..

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

How would limiting balls improve the gameplay ?

Survive a fight, get revenge ganked in ow, you have no balls left.. how is that good for the game? Its a big no, we are all here for battling, we don't need more running.

i can save your ass someday.

its a strategic implementation when to quit a battle.... knowing moore is there to come... :)

it goes deeper than you think.hey

Edited by Thonys
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Thonys said:

first : go and see and read for yourself

the ball is as light of a feather when it hits your hull and feathers don't do harm...

second you are in denial.

HMS Victory: 100+ tonnes of ammo. How many times does a 32 pound, a 24 pound and a 12 pound ball fit?

Edited by Snoopy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here they fought for 4 Days, ammo is not mentioned once, so it probably was not a problem for them to fight for that long without running out of ammunition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Days'_Battle

In this icident brought to my attention by  Liq, two frigates fought eachother for 14 hours straight, until the danish frigate ran out of ammunition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Tordenskjold

also not a problem for us, or do you know of anyone who spends 14 hours in battle without docking inbetween?

 

Edited by Durin
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh33333 said:

Without limited cannon balls how else are aspiring Norwegian captains supposed to run out of ammunition, ask there opponent to borrow some, lose the fight, get court-martialled and end up receiving a promotion for it!

He didn't loose the battle, it was a draw. When he ran out, the swede was in pritty bad shape, If he had more ammunition he would have sunk him or forced a surrender. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...