Game-Labs Forum
Bubba Smith

Port Battles - is this the Best Port Battle system?

Just a question; for hostility missions and consequential port battles, is this the best that can be developed? I've been watching port battle after port battle won by timing rather then, um , lets say skill, accumulated hostility points, numbers in battle and so. It seems 2 may 3 Nations on PvE server have the exit timing down to the second on how to win port battles. But yes, life isn't fair you say - suck it up. Well, I tend to agree that life isn't fair, however, can THIS be better? Can port battles use better improved system? I think so, and from conversations with numerous others the consenses seems to be there must be a better way? I watch the Spanish take The Settlement by a mere second or two. We went into a battle with 5 ships total and I dropped out 3-5 seconds past the time click over; who was  in sight... the Spanish they were already out and had won the port battle - again.  So I ask you can a weighted system be used that could combine total damage inflicted, ports already won (more consecutive ports gained the damage to win increases by a certain %), and even experience of clan(s) entering battles, smaller clans could have a "RIp" bonus of lets say X% for numbers under 20 members total for example. 

We're just discussing here so don't get your gitch tied in a "not". I really believe there is a better system for new and more experienced players alike and the majority would be benefit from a more rewarding Port Battle System. 

Edited by Bubba Smith
  • Like 5

PVE Server:

He means the preparing fight from the hostility missions for the port battles.

Right now , the missions can be taken and done bevor! the official time window for the hostility mission starts.

Goal of the mission is to kill an amount of X ships in the fastest time. Winner of this competition will get the right for the portbattle against NPC.

Now with the nations doing this battle bevor the mission timer,  with their amount of damage done, they instantly end the missions when 

the official time window for the missions starts. Result is, system looks at the accomplished missions (will be fulfilled by any nation) and then

after the time, the nation took to kill the ships. This time is from mission window open to player exit mission...in our case..some seconds.

With all nations doing this, the nation with the fastest time between mission time window open and exit wins. 

->winner is the nation with the fastest clicking mouse and internet connection with low ping.

->winner is NOT the nation with the best abilities to kill ships as fast as possible.

right now, totally crap and bullshit system. It's even unknow if the devs know about this stupid stuff. If yes..they don't care. maybe because its PvE only.

We have nations here sitting in front of the computer with server time syncronized stop watches to exit the battle on the right time.

again..Pve port battle system is totally broken. Ping and fastest mouse click wins, not ability to sink ships as fast as possible.

• Like 1

PvP Port Battles on PvE when? :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Liq💋 said:

PvP Port Battles on PvE when? :)

against the raiders is my guess

PVP Hostility missions work the same way.  I get why you're complaining - in a PVE sense...  sure...  who can complete the missions faster is a way more fun thing to compete on than who can click 'leave battle' faster.   Maybe they'll change it. . It does make more sense over there.

To put it in context, though, the point of the hostility timer window on the PVP server is to allow the defending human clan to make sure their ports only come under attack during a time when they're not at work or asleep...  so it IS the intended behavior that you can take a hostility mission positively anytime, but only raise hostility and set a port battle during the timer window... because the timer is for the port battles, not the hostility missions.

What be this?

I've had my fair share of Port Battles and host grind the last 2-3 years but i have never encounterd any thing that has with an exit timer to do, except in those cases where you make hostility and the port timer is running out so that those with kills have to jump out befor the timer ends to make the sunk br count...

Imo this port battle system is so far off realistic gameplay as we could get, you're literally sending a message to the nation for all to see that you are planning to attack the port in several weeks in ingame time on before hand. 

I think a tweaked version of flag approach for port battles would be alot better. Maybe it should cost x VM to pull the flag for a port, maybe depending on the amount of point the port has? This would create a much more spontanous approach for the attacker instead of grindig through what ive experience from others annoying pve for rvr content. It also takes much longer time as you would have to plan 2 days after another for rvr. 

Now this sounds like problems for the people defending the port. But remember 5 lineships and some shore batteries fended off over 30 british warships at the battle of Cartagena. 

So for what i think about this is that the forts/towers should be placeable by the port clan owner, it sits there until destroyed.

It should also be player controlled in rvr activities, and instead of losing hp, it should rather lose cannons and crew until it cant operate efficiently, of course damage from above would be alot more efficient then a ship broadside. 

There should also be certain levels of the fort and different designs, the square fort is clearly not the best for all ports we have ingame and certainly not covering circles as it should be. 

Tldr; better with retuned flag mechanic, player controlled forts their hp and different designs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McGuinness said:

PVE Server:

He means the preparing fight from the hostility missions for the port battles.

Right now , the missions can be taken and done bevor! the official time window for the hostility mission starts.

Goal of the mission is to kill an amount of X ships in the fastest time. Winner of this competition will get the right for the portbattle against NPC.

Now with the nations doing this battle bevor the mission timer,  with their amount of damage done, they instantly end the missions when 

the official time window for the missions starts. Result is, system looks at the accomplished missions (will be fulfilled by any nation) and then

after the time, the nation took to kill the ships. This time is from mission window open to player exit mission...in our case..some seconds.

With all nations doing this, the nation with the fastest time between mission time window open and exit wins. 

->winner is the nation with the fastest clicking mouse and internet connection with low ping.

->winner is NOT the nation with the best abilities to kill ships as fast as possible.

right now, totally crap and bullshit system. It's even unknow if the devs know about this stupid stuff. If yes..they don't care. maybe because its PvE only.

We have nations here sitting in front of the computer with server time syncronized stop watches to exit the battle on the right time.

again..Pve port battle system is totally broken. Ping and fastest mouse click wins, not ability to sink ships as fast as possible.

I criticized this all last year, called it an exploit and people defended this. ^^ Here we go again...

58 minutes ago, Svennik said:

What be this?

I've had my fair share of Port Battles and host grind the last 2-3 years but i have never encounterd any thing that has with an exit timer to do, except in those cases where you make hostility and the port timer is running out so that those with kills have to jump out befor the timer ends to make the sunk br count...

Wrong wording by thread starter. HOSTILITY MISSIONS mechanic is meant, not port battle (which come later).

I agree we need another measurement for success in preparing hostilities, but I don't like the idea there should be a bonus from other, previously won port battles. This only will lead to more dominance of one big clan or two per nation, which ism with current speed of port gains, already taking shape. On the contrary, we need a mechanism which gives a better chance to small clans. But certainly just perfect exit timing is bad as decisive detail who will win.

• Like 1

It's the same system PvP has the only difference  is that ya'll have a bunch of port greedy folks trying to get one port.   Just from my little time over there I seen clans arguing over ports in the same nation cause some of them are being port greedy to the point they even remove other clans off the friendly list if they don't get there way.  It's really funny cause ya'll talk about drama on PvP and I actually seen way more drama on PvE than on PvP.....lol

What makes it even worse is I notice most of the windows tend to be in EU times so those folks that are in say US prime time or even Aussie/SEA prime times have been screwed out of chances to get ports.  As said it's a race of who's on line and can get the missions done the fastest before any one else can.

• Like 2

On PVE server, each time the hostily as validated on millisecond, is so bored, the talent and team fight are not highlighted.

Is very frustated to play the hostility for millisecond each time the on end timer on exact timer..... .

• Like 1

It seems a simple fix - you can't do hostility outside the window, but there are all sorts of reasons why you want to be able to. Can the game not log how long it took to do that hostility before the window so the right people still win? (And there must be a way for defenders/other attackers to see that this is happening so that they can defend against it). Or some kind of hybrid system where you can do up to 50% before the window, but 50% has to be done in the window.

in other online games where there is a PVE server you can usually turn on PvP in neutral and hostile zones and can turn it off, but it will wear off after x minutes. Maybe this is a solution to PvE server, maybe even boost the production/taxation/rng for ship building until a point so it turns to a port that would be attackable by other nations?

So if a clan wants to go full ham on a port and turn up everything to boost their own gain, they are risking that other nation players can eventually attack their port?

Edited by erelkivtuadrater

3 hours ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

in other online games where there is a PVE server you can usually turn on PvP in neutral and hostile zones and can turn it off, but it will wear off after x minutes. Maybe this is a solution to PvE server, maybe even boost the production/taxation/rng for ship building until a point so it turns to a port that would be attackable by other nations?

So if a clan wants to go full ham on a port and turn up everything to boost their own gain, they are risking that other nation players can eventually attack their port?

hmm. ... no

the players on the PVE server have chosen it for a reason.
any suggestion to introduce PVP there would contradict exactly this
and nobody of them wants to be forced to play PVP indirectly, by getting disadvantages otherwise, at least that's how it is with me

sorry, but from a PVE player's point of view this is not a good suggestion, even if it is well meant

Edited by Holm Hansen
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Holm Hansen said:

hmm. ... no

the players on the PVE server have chosen it for a reason.
any suggestion to introduce PVP there would contradict exactly this
and nobody of them wants to be forced to play PVP indirectly, by getting disadvantages otherwise, at least that's how it is with me

sorry, but from a PVE player's point of view this is not a good suggestion, even if it is well meant

im just trying to find solutions to the problem, there are no options to lose a port other then npc raid or doing the mistake of having no cash in the warehouse

If you want my 2 pence for what its worth I will offer it.

Port timers and having to book a reservation to take a port removes any chance of surprise attacks and any chance of smaller nations grabbing important  ports.

Why not allow some ports to be captured without timers at odd times,  perhaps the smaller ones and save the timers for region capitals?

The ability to Tow ships instantly across the world makes it to easy for one group to dominate huge empires. (towed ships should take 24 hours for the ship to arrive )

The ability to teleport people  around the map again simply makes it easier for every man and his dog to intervene in other peoples port battles.

The same people can be everywhere and defend almost everything in the same ships in a short space of time and it simply should not be possible.

Ports should change hands a lot more often than they do but for the above reason its hard.

I thought the old conquest flag system and trying to get it to the target port was fun, so was trying to intercept the flag (perhaps) it could be used for raids

Just some of my thouights

• Thanks 1

i think every war ship has to be taken away on the peace server...(its ridiculous showing guns and no real war )

only traders are allowed ...and i bet pve server captains will not even  complain ... 

it are just 2 different scenarios.

for everyone its a way of looking at things. and that will always be the case for choosing a scenario

49 minutes ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

im just trying to find solutions to the problem, there are no options to lose a port other then npc raid or doing the mistake of having no cash in the warehouse

I know... and thank you for that.
but PVP on the PVE server is not an acceptable solution for everyone

36 minutes ago, Holm Hansen said:

I know... and thank you for that.
but PVP on the PVE server is not an acceptable solution for everyone

The problem is that the way the current game mechanics are there is indirect PvP on the PvE server because what a certain group of players do can adversely affect what other players can do. If I can capture a port and limit your access to it then my game play is affecting yours and we are in conflict with each other. This was always going to be an issue on the PvE server when certain features from the PvP server were requested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thonys said:

i think every war ship has to be taken away on the peace server...(its ridiculous showing guns and no real war )

only traders are allowed ...and i bet pve server captains will not even  complain ... 

it are just 2 different scenarios.

for everyone its a way of looking at things. and that will always be the case for choosing a scenario

Worst proposal ever.

If you think we aren't fighting and only trading is of interest, you are completely wrong. Have a look on Peace Server for yourself before writing such nonsense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Archaos said:

The problem is that the way the current game mechanics are there is indirect PvP on the PvE server because what a certain group of players do can adversely affect what other players can do. If I can capture a port and limit your access to it then my game play is affecting yours and we are in conflict with each other. This was always going to be an issue on the PvE server when certain features from the PvP server were requested.

yes unfortunately ...

Exactly the same I had written before these conquest mechanics were transferred to the PVE server. My suggestion, at that time, was instead of an exclusive port ownership, a kind of investment rights, which you can earn and lose in the same way as now. Which then also provide the same opportunities for port improvements. But this does not block other players in their interests for the same port. Of course then also without tax revenues.

The whole thing has been rejected. Now we have it as it has then been introduced. It also works for the most important ports, and is ok for me (at least so far), thanks to the cooperation of the community.
But for the ports that are only interesting for conquest, this part of hostility-mechanism is still annoying. ...whereby, however, without the exclusive port ownership, this conquest-interest would not even exist in the first place.
However, accumulating bonuses from previous portbattles don't seem helpful to me. But it was just a first suggestion, maybe they'll find a way here.

Edited by Holm Hansen

I dotn really see why those hostilities can even be started before the window. What is the window there for then?? I think best fix would be to allow the hostilities to start only in the window, so it is just so the best fighters finish it first.

At the moment it works like that, that everybody have all the time in the world and then just differs in (mili)seconds in pressing leave button. There is no skill to that, at least not gameplay wise.

• Like 1