Game-Labs Forum

Additional DD and CL hulls

Shaftoe

This game has all kinds of hulls for battleships, and great variety too choose from for BCs and CAs. 

But DDs and CLs have very limited hull options, and at the moment it is essentially impossible to recreate some of more iconic ships of these 2 types. This looks especially badly in battles set in 30s-40s, as the only available DD and CL hulls look woefully outdated for that time. 

In order to rectify this issue and improve variety, I suggest to include new hulls for DDs and CLs into the next major update. Maybe even instead of BB/BC/CA hulls, which are already plentiful. 

Personally, I would like to see at least 1 modern DD hull for USA, 1 for British Empire, 1 for German Empire, and 1 for Japan. 

UPD: Also, I think more modern destroyers need new superstructure options, including those with integrated barbettes for 5' (and 6' for Germans) turrets. That would enable to to build DDs like Fletcher, Tribal, and so on. 

Without new superstructures new hulls alone won't be much of improvement.

Edited by Shaftoe
  • Like 7

I think they are still trying to flesh out capital ship models from other navies. At this point, they have a good chunk of iconic Great Britain hulls, a hand full of USA and German hulls, and a couple generic ones that I cannot identify. At this point, I would not be too surprised if French hulls like the Courbet Class or Italians like the Littorio Class are next on the to-do list. Maybe a couple of the crazier designs like the German Deutschland Class or the French planned Lyon Class battleship with a frankly ridiculous planned main armament of 4 quad 340mm guns. Actually now that I think about it, introducing the French BB hulls would be the perfect excuse to implement quad turrets and the all-forward main armament sine that was a French thing from 1920's-1940's.

Ship hulls are being produced very slowly tbh. I hope Game-Labs would ramp up hull/component production in future updates. At least those of most prominent naval powers. For example, US Washington Treaty cruisers all have very similar hulls - you need to make just 1, with 2-3 different superstructures. German Nurnberg and Koln CLs have very similar hulls and even superstructures. Japanese Mogami-class hull is literally supposed to be used for CL and CA at the same time. Kako and Atago are also very similar. 

As for destroyers... Russian, German and British DDs tended to have quite similar hulls between different classes. Once again, no need to make too many different hullds. Just pick those that were mostly the same of different ship classes, and players will be happy.

Edited by Shaftoe

1 minute ago, HusariuS said:

In my own opinion, devs should focus now on adding more CL and DD hulls because they are not only the most outdated but also very limited to the few versions of the same hull, and the only difference is the size of the hull between them.

Yeah, a bunch of 1910s DDs sailing alongside a 1940s BB looks rather poorly. While the game is in alpha state it is acceptable, but as the game approaches Steam release, it should be rectified. At least in my opinion. Otherwise, it would feel rather scarce. 

15 hours ago, Tomtom said:

I cannot wait to build some Fletcher , Isokaze or some Type 34 Zerstorer ;)

Same.

14 hours ago, RedParadize said:

I hope they fix the dd first, with late tech they get sniped at 20km

That is a double edged sword. Modern DDs shouldn't be able to safely get up close to an advanced capital ship. I think now DDs are in a good spot. But modern hulls just add some extra survivability, so late DDs would be able to more-or-less tank incoming 5-6' shots, without suffering engine crits and bad floodings immediately. 

Edited by Shaftoe

I want to see more hulls in the game.
But I almost would rather have more generic ones with more utility if it means you could have more variety in ship design because at the moment there are several hulls were it's bordering on restrictive, especially the current cruisers and destroyers, and I feel some of the historical ones could fall into a similar trap.

Maybe just have a generic option on top of the other historical ones that'll inevitably be added, but being railroaded into using one specific historical hull for a nation's destroyers or light cruisers would probably lead to some real same-y feel to most ships build of that hull after awhile.

Also, I think more modern destroyers need new superstructure options, including those with integrated barbettes for 5' (and 6' for Germans) turrets. That would enable to to build DDs like Fletcher, Tribal, and so on. 

Without new superstructures new hulls alone won't be much of improvement.

• Like 1