Game-Labs Forum

Will there be one mega-server?

I really hope there is at least one different server for EU and NA.  The amount of off peak conquest and stuff would be ridiculous for both NA and EU players, and Nations will have drastically different populations depending on the timezone. IE In US timezone, US will be strong, in EU timezone Britain, France, Spain will be more heavily populated than the US.

If there was one large server then a way around the timezones could be that each timezone could reflect each area that you are in. For instance if you are sailing within the Caribbean or along the US coast then you should be subject to US timezones and then if you are in the English channel you should be part of the GMT and so on with other areas. That way home ports would have a strong population within each timezone.

• Like 1

As much as I would love one big (non-sharded) community, I would hate to see the technical burden of such a feat eat away resources from other stuff.
Since we know from other MMOs that it is still an enormous technical challenge to try and get every one the same cluster, instead of dividing the the problem and safe on resources. If the community is small enough, this needs not be an enormous problem from the start, however...

Apart from the technical/performance wise issues, there is also the issue of dealing with players split across different timezones in a PvP environment. How would you deal with a EU community mounting an attack on an US controlled port, while just about everybody in that timezones is sound asleep?

Sure, there are solutions for all these issues, but they all require development time and capacity. Since the team working on Naval Action consist of only 6 people*, I think there are more important things to focus on.

Cheers,
Brigand

* last time I checked, correct me if I'm wrong.

If the open world is split into multiple shards then It would be a huge disappointment and I'd doubt I'd play the game. The reason is clans and territory would become pointless. It's not hard to make the game single shard, to follow the world of tanks or dayz model is just lazy and not in the best interest for a game like NA as it would split the community up.

i think the world should be divided into regions. like the us east and gulf coasts for one. the carribean for another. etc etc. that why its not one huge world and the load can be spread out based on wear players want to be in the game world. for instance say you were a merchant from england and u wanted to go to the caribean. all you would have to do is travel to the edge of the map and a window would pop up and you would click wear u want to go. so that way everyone has the potential of meating each other in game and not being divided by servers but by maps instead like eve or something

I don't know if the tech is there yet for a massive server. Maybe so. But as others have said it would take a tremendous amount of time and effort for that and other aspects of the game might suffer.

I think it will be more of a GTA-style online experience. The world you play in will be the same, and your 'career' will cross over to any server you're in, and if you invite friends to your 'squadron' they will end up in the same server as you, on the same team, but you will cross paths with any number of different faces whenever you join a server.

I mostly play with the same people in Grand Theft Auto online, but it still allows you to meet new people. I've never really felt 'split up' from the community.

I really hope there is at least one different server for EU and NA.  The amount of off peak conquest and stuff would be ridiculous for both NA and EU players, and Nations will have drastically different populations depending on the timezone. IE In US timezone, US will be strong, in EU timezone Britain, France, Spain will be more heavily populated than the US.

Eve has simple mechanics for this that work on the whole, All one server would be the best for longevity.

Obviously we aren't at the stage where this is a priority but I would say that having a single server would be the best idea. I would just say to do it like I mentioned in a previous post where each region on the map is correspondent to the region in reality. Make each journey from one area to other areas happen over an increased period of time also so that one population cannot easily impose its will upon a population that is asleep EU vs US. I have not played EVE but its mere name seems to be testament to the idea of a single server.

I don't know if the tech is there yet for a massive server. Maybe so. But as others have said it would take a tremendous amount of time and effort for that and other aspects of the game might suffer.

I think it will be more of a GTA-style online experience. The world you play in will be the same, and your 'career' will cross over to any server you're in, and if you invite friends to your 'squadron' they will end up in the same server as you, on the same team, but you will cross paths with any number of different faces whenever you join a server.

I mostly play with the same people in Grand Theft Auto online, but it still allows you to meet new people. I've never really felt 'split up' from the community.

The tech has existed for years... Making the game like GTA online would be a terrible idea.

Couldn't you have one underlining server for the economy , then another server for each region , so a server for when your sailing in Europe then one for North America , for Asia ect. , this way it spreads the load and doesn't split the community up as you are just grouped via region rather than individual instances. Could have a seamless transfer between the regions as well , as you sail across the border of one to the other.   

It puzzles me so many games with horrendous solutions regarding the MP part of the game are brought up.

WW2Online and Aces High can have large hundreds of players in the same instance - stick it, unless you want a lag fest like EVE, large instances are the way to do it - and deal with as much data as NA does and they are 15 years old or more.

They work.

Nowadays trend is full shared comms instances to give you the impression of one true universe. Truth is you will only play with 32 or 64 others instead of 300 - 600 of the games I mentioned without any lag.

Granted, those games spent rivers of investment money into their "netcode". Most companies nowadays forget that.

Hope the best for NA.

• 2 weeks later...

So any news about the kind of server we are going to play with ?

I really hope to see one huge single server.

The open world seems so vast that it will need a lot of players to bring it to life.

A small server with players limited capacity would be a bad thing :  a few hundred or even a few thousands players wandering in a 16 millions km2 world (which will grow larger i guess) inhabited by bots would make me feel sad, lonely before getting bored. I want to play with human beings, not with bots.

The one mega server thing allow a lot of more interactions, life; make the economy and geopolitic deeper and a lot more interesting.

However, as it was said in previous post, diving the universe in several zone, with one server per zone, and being able to travel from one area to the other is ok.

As long as there is one single universe...

If there was one large server then a way around the timezones could be that each timezone could reflect each area that you are in. For instance if you are sailing within the Caribbean or along the US coast then you should be subject to US timezones and then if you are in the English channel you should be part of the GMT and so on with other areas. That way home ports would have a strong population within each timezone.

Not really. If I'm in Europe and sail along the US coast in the morning, let's say 10 a.m. (GMT+1), I won't meet many US players.

With combat being instanced and the map being so huge I don't see why it couldn't be one large server,  the only issue might be the hub areas, if Port Royal becomes a lag fest if too many ship are idle there then they may have to have a shard system in such places, guess we'll just have to test and see.

I don't really see much of a problem with having many people from different time zones playing in the same server, the population will be spread out among the factions, if you think no Europeans are going to play as America or no North/South Americans are going to play as a European faction then your being a bit silly, even if it is split up there nothing to say no guild will do 'night ops' are take territory at 4am as seen in other games.  Depends on what capture system they go for.

The scale of this game is so huge I feel it would be a shame not to have everyone on the same server, the Caribbean is pretty damn big and would be quite lonely and boring with a small server population.

With combat being instanced and the map being so huge I don't see why it couldn't be one large server,  the only issue might be the hub areas, if Port Royal becomes a lag fest if too many ship are idle there then they may have to have a shard system in such places, guess we'll just have to test and see.

I don't really see much of a problem with having many people from different time zones playing in the same server, the population will be spread out among the factions, if you think no Europeans are going to play as America or no North/South Americans are going to play as a European faction then your being a bit silly, even if it is split up there nothing to say no guild will do 'night ops' are take territory at 4am as seen in other games.  Depends on what capture system they go for.

The scale of this game is so huge I feel it would be a shame not to have everyone on the same server, the Caribbean is pretty damn big and would be quite lonely and boring with a small server population.

Night flips or off peak RvR really kills games. If it's one server and America has a strong American timeline presence and Britain has a strong European timezone presence in the evenings in each timezone the game will be just a merry go round of zerging ports. The nation that is sleeping losing ports or being too under manned to defend them effectively and then those ports being recaptured when the other side is weak in population later that day.

I sincerely hope for atleast us and eu servers for the prevention of population size of a nation being the determining factor at any given time.

I would also have to agree that one server is the way to go in a game such as this....

not only will it support trans-continental player communities (which really keep these games going) but it will also keep the world from being "empty and boring" if you log on to unusual server times for your region!

• Like 2

I would say there are three ways the mega-server could work:

1.) Something similar to Eve Online (one mega server.  that's it.)

2.) Something similar to Global Agenda (where certain times of the day the map would unlock for 3-4 hours for open world pvp)

3.) Something similar to World of Tanks (different servers for different geographic areas, such as NA, Europe, Asia, etc.)

I want to fight Brits, French, Russians, etc.  If it becomes something like DayZ with private servers, then I'm done with this game.

Edited by Shipmate
  • Like 1