Game-Labs Forum

Best Historical Movie

felelo

There are so many different historical movies to chose from such as master and commander to Saving Private Ryan and Fury. All of these films show the brutality of war, combat etc.

However the film Zulu will and always has been my favourite historical movie.  

Edited by SCL

Stalingrad (1993, the German Version, not the crappy Russian 3D-version): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_(1993_film)

Downfall: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downfall_(2004_film)

Letters from Iwo Jima: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letters_from_Iwo_Jima

Black Hawk Down (honestly,... not even mentioned so far)

Charlie Wilson’s War

Intimate Enemies

I also enjoyed "Behind Enemy Lines" with Owen Wilson.

For a bit crazier receptions there are some good Asian movies, but the style is quite different:

The Front Line (South Korean)

Prisoners of War (don't expect much in the realism department, but a pretty good story based on a true story)

Shall try put things in uncommon or not already covered

The Cruel Sea:

the story of WW2 Flower Class Corvette HMS Compass Rose and her successor

In Which We Serve:

a little stiff, an account told in reflection in a lifeboat of a Royal Navy destroyer. Fictional but said to be based on Mountbattens ship HMS Kelly lost in the Battle of Crete. Coward earned an Acedemy Award

Ice Cold in Alex

An ambulance crew making their escape from advancing Africa Corp in the North African desert. Starred John Mills, and probably one of his best performances as a drunk army Captain

Master & Commander, The Far Side of the World:

Meant to be the basis of other films that never eventuated.

I had the pleasure of videoing a quartet playing 'Musica notturna delle strade di Madrid at The Prince of Wales Lodge; In the Year of Our Grace 2012', that was featured in the film,

I cant play music worth a damn, so this was just facinating

Stalingrad:

German film of their experiences in Russia, said to be more of an anti-war film becuase it is so persuasively gruesome to watch

Valkyrie

Well only for the organisation of the Tomahawk (P40) air attack at the beginning, Im really not that fond of Cruise and can happily sleep through the rest

Dark Blue World

Czech film about Czechoslovakian pilots and the experiences in the RAF fighting in England in WW2.

If your into Spitfires its got some great scenes, it is as the best of war films are funny at times and yet incredibly sad

War Horse

I guess commonly known, but I knew ppl like that, and my grandparents used to breed clydesdales at that time

Passchendale

Canadian war film, pretty powerful combat and some real whoa moments

Beneath Hill 60

Prelude to the the Battle of Messines gigantic mines are dug beneath the opposing German garrisons to predictable effect

Kokoda, 39th Battalion

IMO more important an engagement that the entire Galipoli campaign, and tells the story of an army now prepared to go it alone against the tallest odds

Dunkirk

Television series that goes pretty much all the way with it and available on youtube.

your into tanks? check out

The Beast:

an interpretation of the Soviet experiences in Afghanistan from the point of view of a tank crew

Fury:

seems like a lot of folks arent happy with this film, myself I quite liked it. On my inf it took 4-5 Shermans to knock a Tiger, so ok maybe theyre rarer that I thought.

But it was good to see a real Tiger on the move instead of the modified T34 in Saving Private Ryan

Fury:

seems like a lot of folks arent happy with this film, myself I quite liked it. On my inf it took 4-5 Shermans to knock a Tiger, so ok maybe theyre rarer that I thought.

But it was good to see a real Tiger on the move instead of the modified T34 in Saving Private Ryan

Honestly:

Fury was a really good idea for a movie... probably destroyed by Hollywood.

Nearly every fighting scene, except the one with the kids with panzerfaust killing the platoon officer, was crap but with a good idea behind it... but on the other hand it wasn't the worst movie ever (except maybe the last combat scene which was so much over the top that it doesn't even fit to the movie in itself).

Finally watched Master and Commander for the first time last night. So many references on the forums make sense now :P

I wish they had continued and made more movies. It could have been a great series, unlike other movies that simply try to capitalize off of the original.

If you enjoyed the movies the books are absolutely fantastic and really delve into the relationship between Maturin (who is in fact one of the top secret agents in the British Empire) and Aubrey who later becomes Maturin's brother in law.

• Like 1

Honestly:

Fury was a really good idea for a movie... probably destroyed by Hollywood.

Nearly every fighting scene, except the one with the kids with panzerfaust killing the platoon officer, was crap but with a good idea behind it... but on the other hand it wasn't the worst movie ever (except maybe the last combat scene which was so much over the top that it doesn't even fit to the movie in itself).

seemed to me to cover a given list of points

instructions to writers felt a little like, make sure you mention this, this, this and this, report back at 20.00

in that way they got to deal with (for instance) enemy camo skills and the issues of visibility of targets

selecting rounds within the tank, things of that nature

no it wasnt suble, but descriptive

but I guess I was just pleased to see a bunch of tanks rockin around :)