Game-Labs Forum

Best Historical Movie

felelo

Stalingrad:

German film of their experiences in Russia, said to be more of an anti-war film becuase it is so persuasively gruesome to watch

Are the Germans allowed to make anything but anti-war films, when it comes to that particular conflict? :P

Are the Germans allowed to make anything but anti-war films, when it comes to that particular conflict? :P

well I know you are probably half joking

but taking that aside, there is no doubt Germany has an 'unfortunate' herritage when it comes to WWII

in general what we see, are films that are available in english language

perhaps a certain genre are selected to 'better fit' english speaking audiences

while at first glance that seems likely,

I cant help thinking that if one wanted to make that statement, the situation at the fall of Berlin would describe that better

for that would be the anti-war film of all time,

Edited by HMS ZULU

So many great movies and so little time.

My first love in films is Sci Fi,  and living where after they closed the local cinema meant a 109 mile drive to the nearest one, so I built my own :)

But anyway, to films I have loved

Shogun: not a lot of naval action in it but it does start out on the stormy sea.

Band of Brothers: an excellent mini series.

Hornblower: this one I have as a German boxed set as the transfer to DVD is of much better quality than the one that was released in the UK

Letters from Iwo Jima / Flags of our Fathers: they should be watched together, two sides of the horror of war.

Last of the Mohicans: enough to say that my wife used the theme tune for our wedding last week :)

Sharpe: Sean Bean in a series that he didn't die before the end of the first reel - it's all win!

Master and Commander: really great sea tale, have the books queued on my Kindle to be read. I think they missed a great opportunity for a great series of films.

(First post here)

OK it's not a feature film, it's two seasons of one of the best shows I've seen and if this doesn't give you a salty taste in your mouth by Season 2 then you need to hit yourself harder.

Something for everyone in this.

Get watching!

By no means the best movie listed here, but argubly the most accurate movie made of this story, possessor of some fine performances, an excellent soundtrack and recently released on Blu-ray -

The Bounty (1984).

Edited by JupiterJoe

I have many favorites, from Waterloo to the awesome HBO Series Generation Kill.

But I wanted to post Culloden as it's very entertaining, fairly unknown and I didn't see it posted yet. It's viewable on youtube:

Edited by Hra_N

• 2 weeks later...