Game-Labs Forum

Best Historical Movie

felelo

Kingdom of Heaven, its surprisingly accurate not just in the locations but the events and the characters themselves. A few dates are changed but, still quite accurate. Definitely one of my all time favorite movies.

Regarding this movie, the director's cut of it is amazingly much, much better. If somebody wants to watch it, pick this.
  • Like 1

its hard to find ... on net..  Michiel de Ruyter

Is it even possible? There's no way I'm waiting six to eight months for a DvD of this film to maybe filter down to a hipster video rental store in Greenwich Village. Want to watch the damn movie, any way possible.

Charge of the light Brigade, 1960's version.  Sharpes Rifles.  And by far the best period nautical movie, Mutiny on the Bounty 1962, Master and commander was very good but they REALLY actually sailed the bounty for just about every shot in the movie except in the storm which of course at the time was done with models, I watch this movie over and over just to watch the sailing shots of bounty.  In master and commander they shamefully used CGI for a number of sailing shots, one especially where the sails are barely full and she's putting out a wake that makes her look like she's running 12 knots on a flat calm sea.

Is it even possible? There's no way I'm waiting six to eight months for a DvD of this film to maybe filter down to a hipster video rental store in Greenwich Village. Want to watch the damn movie, any way possible.

it's out there if you know how and where to look. i wont give details as that would be pirate like and probably get my comment deleted anyways.

Empire of the Sun. Great movie about war from civil viewpoint. Hystorical and biography based.

And maybe Rurouni Kenshin 4 OVA about some Japanese civil war (there was a lot of it). Based on hystorical romane about one samurai killer.

Little east wind here :lol:. Actually i'm Vanessa Paradis and Leo Dicaprio fan <_<

From a naval theme; battle of the river plate and sink the bismark are my top favs.

Other favs are Zulu, Tora tora tora, Battle of Britain, a bridge too far, band of brothers, glory.

I have to say I've seen a load of foreign language films that are really really good, unfortunately I don't know their names "downfall" maybe?

The hornblower and sharpe tv series are worth a watch.

The best in-general historical movie I've seen that I can think of right now (I watch a lot of movies and shows, so I've probably forgotten something good) is Apollo 13, which is downright excellent, IMO. 

The best historical movie/show set in the Age of Sail era that I've seen is the Hornblower TV series with Ioan Gruffudd. I've been watching those episodes on YouTube lately and falling in love with them again, having not seen them in quite a while until recently. 

Das Boot.

And, as BusterGut said, "The Cruel Sea".   The Cruel Sea really gets to the heart of sea duty for 99% of ships in war.   Months and months on convoy duty, and years of hardship and boredom without seeing an enemy ship.  great movie.

Edited by Yankee Jack Tar

Enjoyed Michel Strogoff by Carmine Gallone (adaptation of Jules Verne book, about tsaric Russia). Also watched multiple times The Longest Day by Ken Annakin (about the D-Day), and 55 Days at Peking by Nicholas ray (about the Boxers revolt). Those were some of my favorite youth films.

One of my favorites is probably Kagemusha by Akira Kurosawa (around medieval Japan). Rashomon is excellent too, although not a traditional historical film.

Will look for The Cruel Sea for sure. Seems quite a good evening choice.

Has anyone seen Field of Lost Shoes ? Any opinions ?

Yes. It was fair. There have been better Civil War films, this one focuses on a very specific incident - the VMI cadets at New Market - so the scope is kinda small. It is worth a watch though. My wife enjoyed it. 

I'm surprised I forgot, The Last of the Mohicans. Though not a true story it does represent the combat of the times well and is even true to how the French used the Native American tribes during the Seven Years War. I also like how the name of the movie played on what the Newark Daily Advertiser wrote in 1842. 

That and it has Daniel Day Lewis in it and a superb soundtrack to boot, whats not to enjoy?

• Like 1

+1 def the best age of sail movie. and easily top 10 war movie.

another great movie.

i love anything from WWII. Fury was amazing(i'm a tank fanboy). i really liked Red Tails, even though it got alot of hate.

the 1981 Galipolli, and to the same extent the new 7 part mini series being aired in Australia atm called Galipolli as well.(currently up to part 4 tomorrow)

The Monuments Men was brilliant. if you haven't seen it, put it to the top of your list.

The 'true' stories i enjoy the most, the ones that actually make you appreciate what these men and women went through.

but i also like the re-imagined movies too. like Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, Company of Heroes, Inglorious Basterds ect.

All exelent choices exept Fury. Fury is not that good movie compared to the rest that you mention and he is a good class down from them.

Wow....Hard to pick a fav.... Off the top of my head:

Age of Sail (I'm sure there are many of these I haven't seen)

- Master and Commander

- The Bounty

WW2

- Das Boot

- A Bridge Too Far

- Midway

- Saving Private Ryan (More for what I feel is the best depiction of the time, immersion quality)

- Enemy at the Gates (I'm a sniper fan so.....still waiting for a Simo Häyhä movie)

- Schindler's List

Vietnam War

- Platoon

- Full Metal Jacket

Political

- Salvador

- Dry White Season

- Munich

- The Last King of Scotland

• 2 weeks later...