Game-Labs Forum

Rules of the sea

Suggestion:

I'd like some individual, either @admin or a trusted member (not a mod - I don't think I need to explain why) of the community to gather all rulings, all comments and all decisions regarding the mechanics and abuse/use of them in a lawbook, a rules of the sea, so as to govern in some small way, our divided community of warriors. We all want to win - but we need guidelines to do it in an honourable manner.

My nominations for the challenging responsibility would be:

@admin or @Ink - should be selfexplanatory.

@Anolytic, I may have had my differences with him in the past and present, but I respect him and know he would do the task with the utmost care.

@Liq, I believe no one in the community really thinks Liq wouldn't be able to do the task in an unbiased and completionistic manner.

@Staunberg, same as with @Liq, ppl may have sunk to them or sunk them, but I believe everyone knows them for honourable individuals.

If any1 else can come up with a nomination for an honourable individual, pls post in comments. Do NOT derail other ppls nominees by starting arguments of who touched who where and wether it was alright - only positive suggestions.

I don't usually pay attention to tribunal too much so the areas I think we need governed is:

RvR:

Host gen

Port swapping

Alt abuse in PBs (I believe that was solved with the friendslist, but I may be wrong)

Alt abuse in screening? (I don't know if that is really an issue)

Abusing gamemechanics in general

PvP:

Farming

other? (I mostly do PvP but atm I honestly can't think of anything)

Economy:

Not really sure if we need rules here? I think it functions as intended (although I'd ofc like an overhaul of economics but that's not a mechanical issue)

Have I forgotten anything?

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I think most players don't know this forum at all.
Therefore I think rules are worthless. 
Only game mechanics will work.

You won't get mechanics that covers all aspects of the game. Not imo atleast.

And a rulebook could be introduced in the game by fx. having a rule book just below the tutorial fx.

1 minute ago, Montagnes said:

One of the nominees is sorta interesting, given the last tribunal.

Despite @Liq latest inability to read what @admin has posted before I believe he's able to do the task at hand.

But please refrain from discussing any nominees, you can post your nominee if u'd like tho.

I like the rules loose and poorly defined thank you very much. So do the swedes until they get screwed by something. Then its incessant wailing in tribunal as if they didnt use the same exploits on others beforehand.

Edited by Potemkin
  • Like 2

There is no consistency in rulings. If you look through all the tribunal posts majority just end with "will be investigated" and then you hear nothing more. Even tribunals where a ruling is given you find inconsistencies and contradictory rulings and levels of sanctions. Even the moderation leaves a lot to be desired, in the recent ongoing case of the Truxillo hostility a mod steps in and wipes all posts quoting the rules for tribunals, yet if you look through other tribunals there are still others open with many people commenting that have nothing to do with original post.

The Truxillo case is quite important and has many ramifications for the gameplay, but it also comes about because there was never a proper ruling on the previous similar case regarding San Juan. 

I do not think it is an easy task to give rulings as people dissect what is said and twist it to suit themselves, but I do think the Dev team should address issues quicker and give their views on what they feel is acceptable game play as they are the ones who designed the game. Leaving these questions open to be debated among the community for so long just leads to bad feeling and bitterness and is not good for the overall game.

4 hours ago, Lars Kjaer said:

Despite @Liq latest inability to read what @admin has posted before I believe he's able to do the task at hand.

But please refrain from discussing any nominees, you can post your nominee if u'd like tho.

I wasn't pointing at liquicity, precisely. 

Rules must be written by the game creators and only by them. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Montagnes said:

I wasn't pointing at liquicity, precisely. 

Rules must be written by the game creators and only by them. 

Hence they are the first of my nominees.. Going through all tribunals and thinking of all the ways a rule can be used/abused is however a gargantuan task.. As for the "exploitation" it really req a players eye for the grey areas..