Game-Labs Forum

Abilene Paradox - Features that you think others like but personally hate

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 10:21 AM, Angus MacDuff said:

Group activities.  Many (most?) players prefer to be in a group, but I personally like to hunt alone or with one buddy.  This is a huge disadvantage for me as it limits many of the advantages that a group (clan) can achieve.  In order to craft, I must be on a friendly clan list.  This is better now that the lists have been extended, but you still have to go hat in hand to get "permission" to use a clan's port. Sailing alone means I rarely see the chests that the larger groups can claim, which limits the necessary loot required to play on an equal footing against others.  I have NEVER seen a shed or wood permit, although I get numerous Captain's and Gold chests.  It seems you must kill large AI to achieve success in the War server.  Group/clan activities is just not attractive to every player, and you are at a disadvantage if you don't "conform".

Since posting this and being on vacation (in the actual Caribbean!) I have come back and noted that the wood permits seem to be now available from chests and Wood chests are now supplying Seasoned woods.  Thanks @admin! (Hoping for a seasoning shed permit now...)

Loki

Especially in capital zones. Grinding in a new ship in the water with no slots (trying to prep it for action in OW) is no time to find yourself dealing with an experienced enemy admiral, instead of the AI you chose for XP

We don't need magic tricks to make this game fun

Absolute lack of international trade/economics. One of the reasons cited for the American Revolution was Mercantilism.

"For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world" - Declaration of Independence

Alts.  Especially ones in other nations that join battles just to loot any ships that get sunk and not actually participating in the battle.

Demasting meta.  I'm working on a detailed proposal for that, but as it stands demasting is a death sentence in game when irl it was a major hindrance, but ships could still effectively fight.

How rewards for battles are handled.  Losing gets you very little xp, even if it was against a larger enemy force.  Ganking is incentivized significantly more than even fights.  Historically accurate?  Maybe, but from a gameplay perspective it isn't fun.

9 minutes ago, Montagnes said:

Another one.

Forcing players to sail to many ports looking for the missions they want to do.

It is a huge timesink without any purpose. The players use fast ship like basic cutters so they aren't really a "pvp target".

Good call.  I hate this!

• 2 weeks later...

Storms:-

They don't appear when in a port. So looks all sunny and idyllic, then you leave port and its thunder and rain.
There is a short period after leaving port before the storm effects are applied. Surely that period can be left as the loading screen.
You are unable to see a storm before you are in the storm, when out at sea.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Uncapped stacking of modifiers/bonuses.

I accept the rationale of having various mechanisms for generating modifiers: books, modules, woods, rare items, as they drive distinct in-game actions and strategies. What bugs me is that the bonuses add up, and the higher tiers of such stacks are more readily available only to players who are very good.

So players who have an advantage by being just plain competent, get an additional advantage by having access to higher bonuses.

• Like 2

Until today, I would have said the infamous "wind patches", because they're the primary reason I stopped playing.  However, after the announcement of a Chinese faction, I'm going with that, because that's what pushed me to finally uninstall the game entirely...