Game-Labs Forum

Abilene Paradox - Features that you think others like but personally hate

Lack of the ways to do RVR and absence of proper economic warfare, that were IRL (mostly by France).

Nowadays the only way to do RVR is Port Battles with 1st - 2nd rates mostly. That effectively cut many players from participating in it and nations that don't have enough active skilled and organised players of proper rank, have quite little chances of doing it.

Hence we need some system that makes commerce raiding/guerre de course an effective way of doing harm to the enemy, when you can infest enemy waters with cruisers and undermine his economy and making his precious developed ports ineffective.

P.S. Actually I've suggested such system well before here:

Ā 

• Like 17

Another thing that I don't like

The lack of interaction between Open World life and players' activities. Actually OW is pretty much dead and barren static arena where NPCs concentrated around ports serve as placeholders for players. NPC traders don't trade, NPC-warships don't react on players' actions (except for Privateer Fleets). When you sink NPC, it simply respawns - that's the only influence on OW life players can do. While actually NPC activities should have some purpose and when you sink them, there should be some consequences for the OW life

Same is true when it comes to trading and economy - there is no way to influence dropping rates and prices of goods (as it was suggested and for a moment even implemented by Devs).

In short - Open World is too static and players can't ruin it or protect it.

Edited:

Also lack of game events generated by OW life such as Treasure fleel etc, so players will have feeling that the World they are playing in is alive and busy

Edited by Malcolm3
  • Like 18

Lack of missions types.

All missions are actually the same - sail out and sink certain number of certain enemy ships (both in missions and in OW) or sail out and deliver smth to destination port. Lack of variety leads to growing boredom and sense of grind. Especially when connected with previous problem I mentioned.

• Like 10

Lo que menos me gusta es la penalizaciones que tienen los jugadores solitarios, pues tienen la necesidad de hacer misiones con otras personas para poder conseguir algunos elementos que solo puedes conseguirlos en misiones o flotas (permisos de maderas secas) o tienen que pagar cifras enormes de "reales" para poder conseguir el permiso de un "secadero de maderas".

Naval action no esta creado para poder jugar solo, teniendo que jugar en colaboraciĆ³n cooperativa o en Clan obligatoriamente.

Lo que menos me gusta es la "ObligaciĆ³n" por lo expuesto a jugar con mas personas de forma cooperativa o en Clan.

Aprovecho para darles las gracias por el magnifico entretenimiento que tenemos gracias a sus trabajos y esfuerzos en el desarrollo de Naval Action.

Saludos

Ā 

• Like 1

the whole grind and hard to get upgrades that finally mean you fight captains that not only are more experienced or even better than you, but have way better gear. which is doubly sad in a game that is genuinely skill based like this. it also directly incites behaviors we all (i guess) find nasty, like poeple acting selfishly, stealing loot, alts, etc.

since this is endemic in mmo type games i'm pretty sure this is a case of abilene paradox, driven by the fact that it is an easy and obvious path to monetization and serves as a placeholder of progress, so completely embraced by the industry, including a lot of indies. this is not progress, it's mere accumulation. progress is learning about sailing, strategy and tactic, and constructing meaningful relationships and have a good time. playing is learning.
Ā 

• Like 7

AFK sailing.

Reason: empty, lifeless, boring and uninteresting OW. OW is a barren wasteland.Ā 

Others may like to watch some series while sailing but if I logged in I would like to enjoy the game, not something else.

Edited by Montagnes
  • Like 8

Boarding, IĀ hate it. You made the best age of sail combat ever but the boarding is so simple and boring. It also renders your awesome combatĀ useless because most of the time it is way easier to just board someone and the fight is over inĀ seconds.

Thatā€˜s why I rather fight than play a stupid rock paper scissors mini game.

• Like 23
  • Sad 3

1. Loki runes - it is forced PVP upon players who chose to do PVE to build up. So instead of challenging themselves against a strong AI to get experience they get raped by a player who joins in and risks nothing.Ā 

2. The decision to make mortar brigs completely useless unless it hides behind another ship. No other ship in the game requires that another ship aid it in its function. Due to the very weak side cannons on the ship it makes it where 87% of the ships in the game have equal or higher damage ability and only 6% are slightly weaker. This means that there are only 4 ships in the game that the mortar brig can engage to grind and have an equal fight. Again, no other ship in the game requires assistance to grind or doĀ its assigned duty. Just giving it 2 more cannons on the side would increase the number of equal ships to 7, that is almost double making it easier to gain experience in without having to replace it multiple times due to the odd loki rune that shows up.

• Like 8

RvR. It's repetitive, and unfun.Ā 

Regular PvP is great, and I love the rush from it, but the rvr port flipping aspectĀ just seems like a necessary evil at the moment. The BR limits on ports doesn't make sense without a dynamic BR system accounting for upgrades/woods. I'd rather see the current system go away, if more work can't be put into making it more intuitive.Ā 

• Like 11
  • Sad 2