Game-Labs Forum

Why does the game have long range accuracy?

Skeksis

Seems to me that there should only be one accuracy value, base value, and that diminishes over range.

What is onboard a ship that increases accuracies at long range but doesn’t allow for the same accuracies at short range?

And it can’t be radar since it pings the target range no matter what the distance, meaning adding radar should only increase base value. 

Edited by Skeksis

Long range accuracy actually affects short range accuracy. It appears though that lra has less diminishing effect while starting with less base accuracy, that is why - from my personal experience - the breakpoint for focus on lra is at a firing distance of 10 km in late tech terms (i think generally it is the value in the middle of the list of accuracies and ranges). I admit, though, that i still am in the middle of statistical research. 

8 hours ago, Skeksis said:

And it can’t be radar since it pings the target range no matter what the distance, meaning adding radar should only increase base value. 

Actually, this is not exactly true, because the point is the difference between the accuracy of the radar and the accuracy of using another means of ranging. As the range increases, optical rangefinding loses precision while radar keeps its precision, so the relative contribution of radar does increase with range.

1 hour ago, arkhangelsk said:

As the range increases, optical rangefinding loses precision

WITHOUT USING RADAR, this ^^ is an agreement that long range accuracy parameter is a non realistic and totally fake value.

Because so far no one has posted a realistic reason for LRA so it must an arcade insert, correct?

I wouldn't say that. Both Base and Long-range accuracy are simplified abstractions of a complicated issue. So basically base accuracy should be for things that have roughly an even effect on accuracy in all ranges, while if it is relatively insignificant help in short range but very significant in long range, then long range accuracy is the correct sub-categorization. Thus the stereoscopic rangefinder, which requires less detail to use properly gets sorted into the LRA buff rather than the center buff. And the radar, whose biggest relative advantage is also at long range, also gets a strong LRA buff.

It does, it simply affects base accuracy slightly less than sra. But it looses accuracy at a lower rate, so after the breakpoint lra is more efficient.

I suggest you try the following experiment:

build a full build, only leave out rangefinders, for easy results use latest tech, once ALL is done hover over one of your main guns, check the values, then put in a high level c- rangefinder, check values by hovering over a gun and finally do it using a s- rangefinder. 

Edited by Teckelmaster
  • Like 1