Game-Labs Forum

these things definately need to stop happening

Mooncatt

hi guys,

so far im really happy with the game, and like most im looking forward to the next patch and all the exciting things it will bring. so far every new version has been very good, so credit to the devs for that.

but there are a few things that seriously need sorting out which I might of mentioned in previous threads. they might be small to some, but for me they are a constant frustration.

1) fully locked on and all guns fire, then after a few salvos the guns seem out of sync, only one turret fires, extremely frustrating especially when it happens on numerous salvos each time for 2-3 salvos. when you've got big enemy ships with huge firepower this is a concern and a big one! (no, they are not restricted by towers etc, its just something that needs addressing)

2) I find this a total disaster. I know better than the A.I, ILL CHOOSE which target to shoot at, I don't want the A.I to take over and decide to target a different ship. seriously! wtf? this of course means range finding all over again, even if you switch back to the ship you were targeting. this sucks MASSIVELY and needs changing asap!!!

3) torpedoes, what is going on with them? I want to choose when to fire torps. even when your abreast an enemy ship, within range they don't fire for ages (yes, they are pointing in the right direction) even set to aggressive it seems to take an EON for them to fire. there needs to be an icon to fire tubes as and when I want them to fire.

4) as been said before numerous times. the ship building is far too restrictive. placement of towers, barbettes, guns etc etc needs to be zonal rather than snap points. if devs think this would be too easy to make ridiculous OP ships then increase the weight of components or cost etc.

looking forward to alpha 4 , fair seas to u all!

• Like 1

1) I havent noticed this problem myself, this usualy happens when your ship turns and one turret fires a little later or earlier than the rest but i have to admit i have noticed this all too much.

2) Yeah this is an ongoing issue, had this on friday when my ships thought targetting something else would be a good idea when i was trying to kill of their semi dread so i could focus on dem smoll boutes.

3) Yeah this game badly needs manual torps i could careless what others say, im not suiciding my ships into the enemy just for the bloody torps to launch (unless they are out of range but it should tell you this (well i guess you can look at the range circles but somekind of notification or minimap with range circles like wows wouldn't hurt).

4) Hopefully they address this in alpha 5 unless they have done so already in alpha 4. Plus you aren't able to recreate some ships totally (unless they need a certain hull) and i also want to make a proper nelson style ship that isnt too funky or restricted.

2 hours ago, Mooncatt said:

1) fully locked on and all guns fire, then after a few salvos the guns seem out of sync, only one turret fires, extremely frustrating especially when it happens on numerous salvos each time for 2-3 salvos. when you've got big enemy ships with huge firepower this is a concern and a big one! (no, they are not restricted by towers etc, its just something that needs addressing)

Because the King George V's class turrets were just so reliable, were they? Yes it does happen and at least some of it is likely to be a bug. I think they are working on it. I have recommended better instrumentation for the turret situation, so we can tell when they are bugs and when they are features.

2) I find this a total disaster. I know better than the A.I, ILL CHOOSE which target to shoot at, I don't want the A.I to take over and decide to target a different ship. seriously! wtf? this of course means range finding all over again, even if you switch back to the ship you were targeting. this sucks MASSIVELY and needs changing asap!!!

The funny thing is, the computer isn't that bad here. It sometimes does know better than the player. Since you had not managed to describe your situation I can't guarantee its choice is right or defensible in your concrete case but I do notice sometimes the computer knows better than me when to switch targets because

a) My selected target already has structure significantly down and it might be a better idea to start weakening the other battleships.

b) It has changed target selection to hit an armored cruiser (with 11 inch guns) away from my initial choice to hit a battleship (with 11" guns) - the armored cruiser can be killed relatively quickly for a quick loss to enemy firepower.

c) It switches fire to some destroyers, quickly taking them out of the game (no more torpedoes!)

Humans have a tendency to lose track of everything or become target fixated. They see a half dead dreadnaught as a bigger threat than it really is. So ask yourself. What were you shooting at? What did the computer want to shoot at? What were the objective pros and cons of its choice.

3) torpedoes, what is going on with them? I want to choose when to fire torps. even when your abreast an enemy ship, within range they don't fire for ages (yes, they are pointing in the right direction) even set to aggressive it seems to take an EON for them to fire. there needs to be an icon to fire tubes as and when I want them to fire.

Are you sure they were within range? (I mean more than "inside the range circle", really in range considering the target motion).

4) as been said before numerous times. the ship building is far too restrictive. placement of towers, barbettes, guns etc etc needs to be zonal rather than snap points. if devs think this would be too easy to make ridiculous OP ships then increase the weight of components or cost etc.

Be careful what you wish for - you might find that this can be more restricting of your ship's capabilities than some restrictions on the design. Having said that, I do understand the wince when trying to make a typical ABXY ship and having to put Y way at the back in an attempt to balance. Maybe the new Hood and Bismarck hulls will do the trick, and a Nelson/Dunkerque hull optimised for all forward won't hurt.

point 1 i experience quite often. it really is painfull each time, sometimes it hapens as much as 5 out of 10 salvoes. I was trying to find out, if it occurs more often, when i manually switch between he and ap shells, but currently i can not confirm. And Arkhangelsk, currently the mentioned points obviously are bugs, please do not defend bugs using historic excuses. If we want duds and malfunctions in the game, programm them in on purpose, knowing what you do, but not by accident, unaware of what is happening. And what is wrong with people wishing to have more liberties, THAT is historically accurate, many things have to be done by trial and error, i do not remember exactly, if it was hood, but how else would she get the name "biggest u boat in the navy"? The same goes for the german navy changing the bows of a few capital ships to make them more atlantic proof - trial and error. On point 3 though, you gave me something to think, i will totally check in future, where torpedo and enemy actually would collide, thanls for the headsup.

Edited by Teckelmaster
  • Like 2

I agree #1 is a bug, and in fact am asking for more diagnostic tools to check it thoroughly. Still, if it is going to give me my shot back with a few seconds delay it's not the end of the world. And in the meantime, we can choose to either think of it as a world ending event or in a pleasant way. I intend to just think of them it as some unintended Realism until it gets fixed.

For #2, I disagree it is a bug. The system is designed for the computer to select targets. I've seen bugs in the algorithm before (once I caught it alternating between two cruisers with nothing really to select between them), but the ones I see have not reappeared for some time. Just because it changed targets on its own does not mean it is a bug - there might be a perfectly good reason for it to do so.

For #4, first I disagree with his method (making things cost more) because that may actually end up being more limiting in vital areas (capability) rather than eye candy. You'll be gazing at your ships for only a small amount of time compared to fighting them. Guess what you'll be missing in the latter.

I also am a little cautious with just allowing too much free reign. To give an example, there is a person who wanted 8 mounting points on the centerline so he can rebuild Arethusa or Atlanta or something. Well, great, except in this game, 8 mounting points means up to 8 triple 8-inch guns, especially if we are completely unbound by anchor points. While I understand the desire to build "historical" ships, I find the need to ensure realistic capabilities (for example a reasonable total number of guns) more important than recreating a historical ship exactly.

Maybe one solution is to allow you to "buy" entire completed ships. For example, when Dreadnaught-type hulls become available, you will be allowed to buy a special Dreadnaught with everything preinstalled.

#2. This happening gives me "ptsd" from Rule the waves 2 when trying to manually fire torpedoes. As in the "Friendly ships in line of fire".

Though this comparison seems unrelated to one and another the point im trying to make is:

Taking control from the player is frustrating without any means of overriding the AI. I would like to be able to say: "I appreciate the warning Mr. AI but in this case im willing to take the risk". A la pressing some form of master override button. 

Whilst i totally agree with arkhangelsk that the AI knows things the player dont such as switching targets after a "soft kill" or when a higher threat approaches the threshold which calls for a target change. A "Force Attack" or/and some form of note beforehand would be a welcoming compromise. 

Edited by Mindstrip
Grammar
  • Like 2