Game-Labs Forum

Trading?

mia389

Question

I was lucky to have a community member give me an indiaman. 

I have been trying to find trade routes but I stopped at 7 ports today and none of them had anything to trade. I did find maize but it wasn't at a good price.

How often do the markets refresh their goods? 

Do players buy up the market and put it all in warehouse? I was getting a bit frustrated going port to port just looking for something to take to South America.

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, mia389 said:

I was lucky to have a community member give me an indiaman. 

I have been trying to find trade routes but I stopped at 7 ports today and none of them had anything to trade. I did find maize but it wasn't at a good price.

How often do the markets refresh their goods? 

Do players buy up the market and put it all in warehouse? I was getting a bit frustrated going port to port just looking for something to take to South America.

you need to visit county capitals. regional towns do not have good supplies of goods. 
County capitals have their goods supplied to them by NPC traders constantly. but of course players compete for goods. Is this your first day trading or you traded before and goods dissapeared today after patch?

ps
Use the trader tool to find good prices too. 

It needs a bit of practice to find suitable trading routes. as admin said, use trader tool to find buy and sell prices. knowing your way in a spreadsheet calculation would be helpful too, but you can manage without.

You probably have at least one outpost in a county capital. Naval Action map  https://na-map.netlify.com/ will show you which goods are dropping in that port. Use trader tool to find the nearest ports consuming these goods. It is an easy calculation then. The goods vary in profitability. the best goods are sold quite quickly most of the time but average goods are often easy to come by. look into the shop fairly often, you will be lucky sooner or later. 

Ideally you are able to buy other goods in your port of destination so you don't come back with empty holds. In that case you need another outpost in that port as you most probably won't be so lucky to find the goods on offer just when you are delivering your's.

15 minutes ago, mia389 said:

I did stop at all capitals. The 7 I stopped at were capitals. Seems they have the best stuff. I used https://na-map.netlify.com/ and the trader tool. Ill log back an and get searching. Maybe things have changed since this morning. This is my first day trading. I was trying to find a long range route and put outpost at both ends. 

btw.. Hit all Enemy NPC traders when you see them. They also carry goods and you can get lucky and hit them on the far leg of the route (with expensive goods). This would be as lucrative as trading itself. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mia389 said:

I did stop at all capitals. The 7 I stopped at were capitals. Seems they have the best stuff. I used https://na-map.netlify.com/ and the trader tool. Ill log back an and get searching. Maybe things have changed since this morning. This is my first day trading. I was trying to find a long range route and put outpost at both ends. 

try short routes first. (Unless you are on PvE that is.) While you gain a lot more on long routes the risk is considerably higher and it takes more time. If this Indiaman is your only ship you won't risk to lose it until you can afford to lose it.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 4:11 PM, admin said:

you need to visit county capitals. regional towns do not have good supplies of goods. 
County capitals have their goods supplied to them by NPC traders constantly. but of course players compete for goods. Is this your first day trading or you traded before and goods dissapeared today after patch?

ps
Use the trader tool to find good prices too. 

Do you consider county capitals to be the main capital that that player starts out with as in Main Capital per Nation? If so trader ships are not allowed there. Enemy AI will sink you in 0.5 seconds

5 hours ago, Sea Fox said:

Do you consider county capitals to be the main capital that that player starts out with as in Main Capital per Nation? If so trader ships are not allowed there. Enemy AI will sink you in 0.5 seconds

no, county capitals are the ports with a white circle ring around the port icon, that are no also a national capital. Also, iirc, the privateer fleets won't attack 6th or 7th rate ships (tbrig, tsnow, and tlynx).

EDIT: Additionally, as players typically hanging around national capitals looking for NPC ships to attack with relative safety, I would caution that sailing any foreign-flagged vessel into a national capital during any time of high activity is a good way to ensure you never make it into the port.

Edited by GrubbyZebra
  • Like 1

There are a number of 'natural' trading partnerships between ports, even ports within your own nations control, without having to go to enemy waters.  For example Port A will have Available (marked as 'A' in the traders tool)  several goods which are Consumed by  Port B (marked as C in the traders tool).

A good way to find trades is to use this tool https://na-map.netlify.com/ (player made map by Felix Victor).  Activate set goods relations and choose a good that you can see is available to trade. It shows you the ports that consume that good. For example, Cuirass are A-vailable in Kingston Port Royal and are C-onsumed by Santiago de Cuba.

A quick check on the trader tool shows the price to buy in Kingston Port Royal is 3991, and the selling price in Santiago de Cuba is 13791, almost a 10k profit for each one.

When you check with Santiago de Cuba on Felix's map yo see that SdC has 'A'vailble Arabian Coffee, Arabian Books and white pepper, all of which are 'C'onsumed by Kingston Port Royal.

I am not suggesting this is a great trade just pointing out the relationships. When you have done a few you will come to learn your favorites.

Good luck

PS - Grubby Zebra has some good advice -  you can take a fleet of T-Brigs and not get attacked by the capital fleets as each ship is under 100 battle rating.  If you take an LGV or Indiaman into enemy waters, and they have a capital fleet, you will get attacked by the fleets.

On 1/30/2020 at 10:53 PM, mia389 said:

I should of clarified Im on pve

Thanks for all your help guys!

If not in one. Join a clan. They will give you a lot of help and advice. Even ships.

On the PVE you do not need to use a full crew for number is says to have. As there are only NPC’s it’s safe to underman when trading. Even in combat as long as not too much under crewed.

It does get easier.

The tutorials are useful and lead to the exams. They are not to bad. The last one is more difficult where you have to sink one ship, then a second spawns. But nice goodies for completing it. You are given 90 minutes for this one, so take your time. It is a bit of a pain but saves a lot of game time in raising your rank