Game-Labs Forum

Officer skills require rebalance

Guardian54

I don't mean the "+ -90% accuracy" and such obvious problems that somehow comes from Marksman Training (which I didn't dare take on my fusiliers in case they went full stupid somehow).

I'm talking about how "+5% rewards from Admiralty" is OP as hell compared to "+5% casualty recovery" or "5% discount".

Because you need +100% income vs -50% cost i.e. 10 ticks before the discounts start eclipsing the income upgrade, and you don't get nearly that many ticks.

This seems to make it so that your first thing to fill after Luck (superbly useful for making money and reputation on side missions) and maybe technology is going to be gold income, every single British campaign, because it's the primary source of income.

Gold is used for everything, so item-specific discounts should go 10% per tick to make it more worthwhile to pick and to snowball faster to "you can afford 2x as much stuff (additional fees may apply though)!" at the top end, compared to gold income which is universal.

You can spend a skill point on a 5% discount on any one of those items, to a max of 25% discount... or you can spend the same 5 skill points to get 25% more funds which allow you to be more flexible and buy more overall. It's very obviously not balanced.

Yeah...those things are kinda hard to balance and atm it is relatively obvious, which skills are the best. It was (and still is) the same for Ultimate General Civil War though. Of course Politics and Medicine are better in that game than Economics and Training. 

On the other side: If those skills get balanced out it makes almost no point in giving the player a choice in the first place.

A little off topic but just know not everybody is going to be on the same page as you.  Some want this game much harder and some want it more easy and not everybody will be happy. Try to remember all the people whom refunded the game on steam because of how hard they made the starting battles let alone some of the other crazy battles. My point is I don't want this new game to turn out like UGCW!  Don't get me wrong about this I have over 2k hours playing it over the years since it was released so yes I got my moneys worth with that game.

Edited by doublebuck

10 hours ago, doublebuck said:

A little off topic but just know not everybody is going to be on the same page as you.  Some want this game much harder and some what it more easy and not everybody will be happy. Try to remember all the people whom refunded the game on steam because of how hard they made the starting battles let alone some of the other crazy battles. My point is I don't want this new game to turn out like UGCW!  Don't get me wrong about this I have over 2k hours playing it over the years since it was released so yes I got my moneys worth with that game.

Yep I use the money boost in US play,  but I never had an issue with money really in UK so I pump up my officers training and survival more than anything, than the industry stuff to get better guns.   US play you just don't get good choices for the industry so you have to work on what saves you money crew, rewards and reputation to keep ships and sale them.   Which I still think US play needs Reputation boost since UK gets so much resources.  That and why do we not have boarding tools in US play when your Privateers for freaking sake?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Yep I use the money boost in US play,  but I never had an issue with money really in UK so I pump up my officers training and survival more than anything, than the industry stuff to get better guns.   US play you just don't get good choices for the industry so you have to work on what saves you money crew, rewards and reputation to keep ships and sale them.   Which I still think US play needs Reputation boost since UK gets so much resources.  That and why do we not have boarding tools in US play when your Privateers for freaking sake?

Weird.

Even on Easy in the British campaign, due to presumably poor purchasing decisions or preferring to rely on grapeshot instead of boarding pushing my repair costs up and reducing money gain from selling obtained ships due to damage, I kept running low on money even after getting +25% income with a +20% income bonus from total success in "Dinner For Admiral".

19 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

According to recent patch notes they reduced the rewards from the British campaign.

Obviously there is still a lot of balancing to be done and some thing strongly depend on how successful you are during your campaign that will probably lead to some form of snowballing in the end. For example capturing the Arrogant makes a couple of other missions down the line a lot easier, probably enabling you to capture even more SoLs that you otherwise might have to destroy if you don't have one SoL of your own. So now you might end up with two SoL in one playthrough and someone else might not have even one in his playthrough. Good luck balancing the game for both of them from this point on, even with scaling.

Edited by Garm