Game-Labs Forum

Returning to UGCW

CSX4451

Been gone for awhile and returning back to play some more CSA campaigns. When I left, the game had been fully updated by the developer. I was a solid BG level player although I constantly struggled with Antietam and Washington at the end.

i noticed now there are some outside mods  to enhance the game play. Any guidance on which mods are recommended to make the game the best and most realistic  and also the best way to enact them will be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

aSO544

• Like 1

The UI & AI Customizations Mod is mostly bug fixes and quality of life changes. It leaves the original game balance relatively intact, though some of the major balance outliers and exploits have been fixed.

Past that it comes down to user preference. The Rebalance mod adds numerous features and changes up quite a few things, but it tends to be more focused on gameplay over historical accuracy. There is also a submod which focuses on regiment sized units and is a bit more historically focused which can be found on the mod's discord.

All mods are standalone and cannot work together, though many of them share the same quality of life changes. Installs are manual zip extractions or file copying.

• Like 2

I had a lot of fun with the UI&AI mod before moving on to the Rebalance mod which is more challenging but also more rewarding I think. The commander skills also matter much more as they all do more, I really like this.

Both are great improvements on the base game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I keep hoping some modder would add more battles to the game.

Adding more battles appears to be impossible so far. No real ability to alter spawn point locations or objectives is the main limitation. We can mess with timing and unit types/numbers so the overall experience of a given battle can be altered decently at least.

• Sad 1

On 1/26/2020 at 2:48 PM, Sir Texas Sir said:

I keep hoping some modder would add more battles to the game.

Shortly after the games release I requested that the battle of Franklin, Tennessee - fought on November 30, 1864 - be included with the game. It was one of the worst disasters of the war for the Confederate States Army. It also led to the end of the Army of Tennessee a few days later at Nashville. Five Confederate generals were killed at Franklin: Cleburne, Strahl, Gist, Adams and Granbury.

For those interested, there is a great mod available for 'Total war: Napoleon' called, 'North & South: American Civil War'. This mod includes the Battle of Franklin as well as the other major battles of the American Civil War. Also, regarding Franklin, John Tiller Software offers 'Campaign Franklin' which covers, Spring Hill, Columbia and the Franklin battles. It is an older hex based game with dated, but recently polished graphics. The game is very historically faithful to the battles.

Let's hope that the Battle of Franklin is ultimately included with, UG:CW.

Edited by Captiva
  • Like 2