Game-Labs Forum

Prince vs Snow Carronades

2 hours ago, Macjimm said:

This is an entertaining thread.  I don't sail Snows.  I used to sail Traders Snows.  Can they carry 32 pound carronades?  Thats fair too right? No?

Yeeeeah, no. Not when it also has the insane maneuverability that it does. And honestly, no ship that size should be able to carry 32pd carros anyway; it makes 5th rates look silly by comparison.

I killed an AINC player using a 32pd carro Snow today in my Prince, and it was the most painful experience I've ever had. Side armour was gone in 3 broadsides, so roughly 2.5 minutes. Only reason I won was because I was able to throw him into the wind and then juke the pull mechanic so I ended up offset and behind his broadside. Otherwise, he would've sunk me in one more broadside while boarding combat was underway.

Using the 24pd carros on the Prince, I didn't manage to destroy even a quarter of his side armour before he'd entirely deleted mine.

No, it's not balanced. At all. Not even close. Hope you're listening, devs; ya dun hello kittyed up.

I mean for historical counterparts, the 100 ft Cruizer-class brig-sloops (1797) also wielded 16 x 32 pdr carronades (while also being 100T larger), The 90 ft Cherokee-class (1807) had 8 x 18 pdr carronades. Both had 2 6pdr long guns fore and aft for chasers. The Ontario could have theoretically been outfitted with such had it survived long enough to be around when these contemporaries were launched (although I doubt that given its smaller size, it would have stayed a 22 gun ship). The ship type was definitely ocean-capable (look at the HMS Beagle for an example of a similar brig-sloop that plied the open ocean), so its service on the Great Lakes (which are really freshwater seas), should not be a consideration.

Also, I've always wondered why the Ontario is called a snow, when it was considered a brig-sloop, while the Niagara is named in game, while it was considered a snow?

12 hours ago, GrubbyZebra said:

I mean for historical counterparts, the 100 ft Cruizer-class brig-sloops (1797) also wielded 16 x 32 pdr carronades (while also being 100T larger), The 90 ft Cherokee-class (1807) had 8 x 18 pdr carronades. Both had 2 6pdr long guns fore and aft for chasers. The Ontario could have theoretically been outfitted with such had it survived long enough to be around when these contemporaries were launched (although I doubt that given its smaller size, it would have stayed a 22 gun ship). The ship type was definitely ocean-capable (look at the HMS Beagle for an example of a similar brig-sloop that plied the open ocean), so its service on the Great Lakes (which are really freshwater seas), should not be a consideration.

Also, I've always wondered why the Ontario is called a snow, when it was considered a brig-sloop, while the Niagara is named in game, while it was considered a snow?

Well up until this patch the Snow (Ontario) was armed like the Cherokee class with 18 pdr carronades. Historically 6 pdrs because she was lost before carronades came into widespread use. As you noted smaller than the Cruizer class and half the tonnage of the Niagara. 

https://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=5617

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ontario_(1780)

I think they had it right the first time. @admin gave all the ships the choice to arm carros whether they did historically or not. One way to balance the older ships. There was some formula to it ie; 6 pdr ships got 24 pdr carros, 9 pdrs got 32 pdr carros.  What throws this off is the allowing main gun deck carronade armament on all ships like the Trincomalee, Constitution and Indefatigable. Historically only the smaller ships did this because it allowed them to carry much heavier ordnance at the expense of range. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Mad Dog Morgan said:

Should of used bold I obviously didn't highlight this point enough. "Considering the Prince is the larger ship with more crew and deck space? " 

And as for me, I am sure you noticed what I've just wrote in a thread on the same subject : according to reliable source, IRL Prince had only 2x6-pdr (guns) + 16x12-pdr (carro). So have fun with your in-game 24-pdr Prince.