Game-Labs Forum

No Forts in Shallow Ports

8 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I been meaning to test out the mortar brig since release but just haven't had a chance.  I know the forts got HP's pumped up big time.  Back when all the guns got bumped up to higher damage, did the Mortars too?  Maybe keep it not so accurate, but bump the damage up.  So it's still very deadly to ships if it hits one (which should be hard unless not moving) and can take down forts, but not super crazy fast (they use to kill them a bit to fast....16-18 hits for towers and close to 40-50 hits for forts I think was the old count.)    Time to kill should be 1 fort for one mortar brig in 20 mins,  not three or they need to change the BR's to allow more in. 

The other thing is we can maybe get a bigger ship that can take one mortars too.  Third rate could be a great ship or even one of the SOL have a refit that has less guns but carries mortars too.  That would at least help for the deep water battles where the little mortar brig is pretty much dead first thing in the battle.

I haven't personally tried the mortars since prior to the release but I've been told that their rate of fire was nerfed.  2 Balls instead of 4 even with the books.  It takes about 40-45mins now for 1 mortar to kill a fort.  and that is with ships running interference because the mortars do not outrange the forts anymore.

In the shallows a MB is basically useless.  You need 3.  Most of the BR has been reduced to the point where 3 MBs will nerf your fleet too much to take them.

• Like 1

Sort of related: forts and towers which are damaged/destroyed in a port battle should require the defender to repair them later. Sometimes prolonged siege (repeated multiple port battles) needs to be the answer.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 11:00 AM, Mouth of Sauron said:

I haven't personally tried the mortars since prior to the release but I've been told that their rate of fire was nerfed.  2 Balls instead of 4 even with the books.  It takes about 40-45mins now for 1 mortar to kill a fort.  and that is with ships running interference because the mortars do not outrange the forts anymore.

In the shallows a MB is basically useless.  You need 3.  Most of the BR has been reduced to the point where 3 MBs will nerf your fleet too much to take them.

The MB was over nerfed, imo. I get the elimination of the double shot, fine. But the range needs to be increased to be out of fort range, especially given the reduction to accuracy as well.

On 1/16/2020 at 11:25 PM, Redman29 said:

For some ports yes it is extremely difficult but not impossible. The last Port Battle at Morgan's Bluff will attest to that as that is a port with 2 forts, 2 towers and every single circle is covered by fort fire and Russia should have won.

I personally like the reducing of the guns on forts from 42 pounders to 12 pounders. The towers on shallow water ports are already at 12 pounders so it makes sense dropping forts to that number.

Also the lowering of the BR of the Mortar Brigs from 80 to say 45 where it is on par with Brigs would also give you more flexibility given that most shallow water ports are 900 BR. 

This is the ideal solution. The defender will still have a material advantage but not the 42lb overpowered advantage.