Game-Labs Forum

No Forts in Shallow Ports

Felt this needed a separate thread.

It's one thing to have a defender's advantage, it's another thing for ports to be nigh impossible to take because of a defensive structure. 

To even think of attacking a regional shallow capital when it has 2 forts is out of the question. Nassau and Morgan's Bluff being 2 shallow ports that with any competent defending force will *never* be taken by the attacker. the attacker literally has to pray that the enemy won't show up to achieve victory.

There is no attacking force in a shallow water port battle that can come close to destroying a fort unless the defenders decide not to show up. unless a nation can prove us wrong and kill a Fort while the battle is being defended.

Forts MUST be replaced from shallow ports in exchange for normal Martello Towers.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 8

The northern Bahamas used to be a very active and fun area for RvR, but now the patrol zone is the only thing keeping that area of the map alive. The forts are too strong for shallow ships. At the very least, the range of the guns should be reduced so it is possible to use the mortar on them again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Latron said:

The northern Bahamas used to be a very active and fun area for RvR, but now the patrol zone is the only thing keeping that area of the map alive. The forts are too strong for shallow ships. At the very least, the range of the guns should be reduced so it is possible to use the mortar on them again.

the forts are decent in the deepwater, it helps with reducing the fort cannons to 9pd instead

1 minute ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

the forts are decent in the deepwater, it helps with reducing the fort cannons to 9pd instead

Yeah I would like that change but a reduction of their range would also be nice. It should still be possible to use the mortar on them in any port battle.

So kill the enemy fleet.. forts are immobile.

EDIT: Have we reached the point where we can ask for changes to the gamemechanics whenever we can't win?

Because in that case - my list of changes are long and still running the tap..

Edited by Koveras
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Teutonic said:

There is no attacking force in a shallow water port battle that can come close to destroying a fort unless the defenders decide not to show up. unless a nation can prove us wrong and kill a Fort while the battle is being defended.

We already did that. In Morgan's Bluff we killed a fort and would have won the PB if not for some accidents such as one ship getting beached and being kept out of the entire fight. Against a competent defender I might add.

What really is needed, is increase the BR of all those shallow ports where forts are extremely well placed. With 3000 BR instead of 900, attackers can bring more mortar brigs, and the BR lost to mortar brigs will have less of an impact on a fleet that size.

Also make mortar brigs stronger again so it takes a little less time to kill a fort.

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Koveras said:

So kill the enemy fleet.. forts are immobile.

EDIT: Have we reached the point where we can ask for changes to the gamemechanics whenever we can't win?

Because in that case - my list of changes are long and still running the tap..

You know the enemy fleet can just sit within range of the forts, right? I see it happen all the time.

• Like 1

Morgan's Bluff is a really good example of forts being well placed -still not enough to grant a 100% win over the attackers.

You just need to play well with your fleet (don't place it in range of the square fort) and properly use the wind. In Haulover opponents have always had the wind on us but didn't take advantage of that, at all. First time we were attacked in Haulover it was iffy, in fact, and the fort wasn't crucial till the end (after swedes kept getting in range of the fort while it wasn't needed). 

• Like 1

Forts can and should be countered by mortar brigs.  the issue is though with some ports being 900BR  you can't afford to have 3 (which is what it takes if you want to kill the fort in 20 mins).  So MB BR needs to be decreased OR port br needs to be upped.  

900 BR is just simply far too small at morgans bluff with 2 forts.   

• Like 2

For some ports yes it is extremely difficult but not impossible. The last Port Battle at Morgan's Bluff will attest to that as that is a port with 2 forts, 2 towers and every single circle is covered by fort fire and Russia should have won.

I personally like the reducing of the guns on forts from 42 pounders to 12 pounders. The towers on shallow water ports are already at 12 pounders so it makes sense dropping forts to that number.

Also the lowering of the BR of the Mortar Brigs from 80 to say 45 where it is on par with Brigs would also give you more flexibility given that most shallow water ports are 900 BR. 

• Like 1

Even if its not impossible to win an attacking shallow pb, its still a too big advantage for the defending team imo. I prefer lowering the pounders for the forts instead of highering the BR since smaller nations rarely have the chance to field three mortar brigs players who know what they are doing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Lowering the BR of mortar brigs I think is the most sensible/easy way of solving the problem.

it wouldnt really help though. If it take 20 mins for 3 MB to destroy a fort from what @Mouth of Sauron knows, say you enter the battle. What ships will soak the damage that obviously cant be soaked by the mortar brigs? the other shallow ships? they will get reload shocked from under 10 42pd cannonballs, so by the time you've killed the fort you wont have any ships left to fight the battle.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:55 PM, Mouth of Sauron said:

Forts can and should be countered by mortar brigs.  the issue is though with some ports being 900BR  you can't afford to have 3 (which is what it takes if you want to kill the fort in 20 mins).  So MB BR needs to be decreased OR port br needs to be upped.  

900 BR is just simply far too small at morgans bluff with 2 forts.   

I been meaning to test out the mortar brig since release but just haven't had a chance.  I know the forts got HP's pumped up big time.  Back when all the guns got bumped up to higher damage, did the Mortars too?  Maybe keep it not so accurate, but bump the damage up.  So it's still very deadly to ships if it hits one (which should be hard unless not moving) and can take down forts, but not super crazy fast (they use to kill them a bit to fast....16-18 hits for towers and close to 40-50 hits for forts I think was the old count.)    Time to kill should be 1 fort for one mortar brig in 20 mins,  not three or they need to change the BR's to allow more in. 

The other thing is we can maybe get a bigger ship that can take one mortars too.  Third rate could be a great ship or even one of the SOL have a refit that has less guns but carries mortars too.  That would at least help for the deep water battles where the little mortar brig is pretty much dead first thing in the battle.