Game-Labs Forum

How to survive the Snow attack

Durin

By now you’ll have no doubt heard of the storys of the Snow Captains who attacked much bigger ships, and survived by sterncamping them to death.
While we're saddened that majestic Ships met their demise, and thankful for those who escaped with their life, perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised at the news. Experts believe that as Snows encroach into deep water territory, such attacks are becoming more common. In fact, there have been more reported attacks all over the Caribbean in the last 2 years than in the entirety of the 6 years previously.
Because encounters with Snows are an inevitable – and often amazing – part of any adventure, we decided to put together a guide to surviving the wildest of encounters. For this, we roped in experts, naturalists and the National Snow Federation to talk us through stepping away from the hairiest of situations unscathed.
“The only foolproof way to avoid getting attacked by a Snow is to never step foot outside,” say the experts. "You should follow the National Snow Federation’s common sense rules: 1) never try to touch, feed or get even remotely close to a Snow (yes, that means no selfies with Snows), 2) read up on the species that live wherever you’re going, and 3) be aware of your surroundings when you’re in Snow territory."

Black Snows

Unite-Side.thumb.jpg.683e51a1161b34b13930dc7535fc692a.jpg
Friendlier than the average Snow? Don't bet on it. In 1999, a 69-year old hunter named Gene Moe was attacked by a  black Snow. He survived by demasting the Snow, lodging his cannon ball inside the Snows mast. After a bit of a tussle, Moe unleashed a Double Ball broadside, knocking it out. “I didn't want to look at my Stern. I thought it was gone. I had watched a lot of Snows when I first came to the Caribbean. I noticed early on they were mostly Stern campers, like small ships in general. I saw that Snow coming, and I was ready for it! I stepped back, and hit it with Chain first, then from a save distance, i had time to shoot its masts” Moe recounted.

David has another, less bloody strategy: “Black Snows are found over much of the Antilles, including Freetown areas,” he explains. “They are naturally afraid of groups of people and typically run from us. If you’re hiking out in Snow country, making loud noises with your group usually keeps them away. The only time black Snows are dangerous is when they’ve lost their natural fear of groups of people because we’ve fed them. If you see a black Snow that doesn’t immediately run, shout at it and clap loudly and it will usually flee.”

Snow - Unit

20200115083640_1.thumb.jpg.1d00f4e82e1993fe419ae7c4c4ffac1d.jpg

When it snaps, it really snaps.

Fancy being dragged in battle, then sterncamped there while an Snow Unite takes chunks out of you? Us neither. When it comes to Snows and bold small ships in general, running in the other direction is a great idea. Naturally, this can be hard in the open sea, which is something James Morrow, a US player who was attacked in Florida after jumping out of a mission and found a Snow - Unite on his position, found out first-hand. The attack was instant: "I think my head was so far down his mouth that I touched his taste buds. When he tasted me, I think that's why he let me go,” he said. A punctured ego followed. In the end, his strong repair saved him, tanking most of the damage. “It should go without saying that getting close to, or feeding a Snow that can outturn everything and has enough confidence allready is a bad idea,” says David. Don't run - like pet cats, Snow captains will instinctually chase anything that runs and are triggered to stalk potential prey from behind.

“Snow - Unite are found in coastal shallow areas in Bermuda and the US. The latter mostly in North Carolina, throughout Florida, and west into Texas. Avoid swimming in areas where Snows are found, especially at dawn, dusk or nighttime when the Snows are most active. As with black Snows, never feed Snow - Unites, which causes them to associate humans with food – a recipe for disaster."

Regular Snows

20200115085322_1.thumb.jpg.0d1785168e061ed2bca0724fa543aff3.jpg

There have been an increase regular Snow attacks in the US. Also known as HMS Ontario, regular Snows can be dangerous critters, as anyone who’s ever had one jump out of nowhere in the Caribbean can testify. Jimm Hamm and his wife Nell (70 and 66 at the time) were attacked by a regular Snow in 2016 while on a trade run in an Indiaman Naturally, Jim decided to survive, he’d have to rumble. “I realised I was going to have to fight this thing. I figured I would fight it like I would fight a dog attacking me,” he recalled. His head quick ended up inside the Snows jaws, “It was like somebody hit me with a baseball bat. I was dazed. Then I heard my wife yelling for me to fight.” That’s when Nell came swinging in with a broadside from his Pood guns. Not that this bothered the Snow much. However, after a sustained assault, it decided to take its chances elsewhere, and disengaged."

“Of all Caribbean predators, regular Snows are the only one to occasionally perceive humans as potential food,” explains David. “That said, attacks on humans are incredibly rare. Found in the west, regular Snows normally prey on Russians, but also take smaller prey such as Prussians and Pirates. If you’re trading or grinding in Snow country, it’s best to go with a buddy because a lone person is more likely to attract interest. If you do encounter a Snow, don’t run from it or turn your back on it. Like our pet cats, regular Snows will instinctually chase anything that runs and are triggered to stalk potential prey from behind. Instead, as with black Snows, shout at the regular Snow, clap loudly and spread your jacket over your head to make yourself look larger to scare it away.

20200115083640_1.jpg

Edited by Durin
  • Like 15

A single snow isn't that hard to defeat, that being said - the snow is unrealistic both for it's class and in general.

Disregarding the obvious fact - it should capsize every time a gust of wind hits it, it has the best turning radius of all 6th rates, add in the speed and the 18 guns + bow and stern chaser and u have quite simply an OP ship.

I would suggest balancing the snow by reducing it's speed and turnrate significantly or make the rattlesnake generally available and the snow a permit ship.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 12:29 PM, Koveras said:

A single snow isn't that hard to defeat, that being said - the snow is unrealistic both for it's class and in general.

Disregarding the obvious fact - it should capsize every time a gust of wind hits it, it has the best turning radius of all 6th rates, add in the speed and the 18 guns + bow and stern chaser and u have quite simply an OP ship.

I would suggest balancing the snow by reducing it's speed and turnrate significantly or make the rattlesnake generally available and the snow a permit ship.

Do you have some tips how to build and outfit a snow? I want to sail this ship but don't know what is the best way to build it and what cannons, refits to use. Thank you.