Game-Labs Forum

Campaign "balance"

WelshZeCorgi

Could the difficulty work sort of like the paradox games? Where it tells you how difficult playing a certain nation will be? 

I don't like the idea that all the nations available to play as in sp campaign all start at the same basic level. 

Probably should clarify: nation's that historically had more trouble dominating the waves should be counted as higher difficulty, as the nation in the actual game will have more limited resources, manpower, low political points, whatever was actually a problem in history. 

Me being opposed that all nation's start with the same money, tech level, ship parts, etc...

Edited by WelshZeCorgi
  • Like 2

I definitely agree with the "Realistic Resources" tack. In fact, looking through the slightly different ships thrown out to different nations, my sense is that the developers are going the same tack, while (apparently) sneaking in small advantages to the less favored powers whenever they can get away with it.

Though I hadn't ran through all of them, for example resource poor nations like Japan and Spain got the semidreadnought hull while almost everyone else subsisted on the predreadnought. That would allow them an advantage in that phase and keep the semidreadnoughts they built somewhat useful even in the dreadnought era (compared to four main gun predreadnoughts).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arkhangelsk said:

I definitely agree with the "Realistic Resources" tack. In fact, looking through the slightly different ships thrown out to different nations, my sense is that the developers are going the same tack, while (apparently) sneaking in small advantages to the less favored powers whenever they can get away with it.

Though I hadn't ran through all of them, for example resource poor nations like Japan and Spain got the semidreadnought hull while almost everyone else subsisted on the predreadnought. That would allow them an advantage in that phase and keep the semidreadnoughts they built somewhat useful even in the dreadnought era (compared to four main gun predreadnoughts).

I don't really like the idea of nation specific hulls or components. I noticed this particularly with USA and their masts, that happen to give better bonus to long range accuracy. I am however open to the idea of the tech tree having specializations. So on top of generic additions for that level of tech you can choose to focus on an aspect of that tech. So for instance, if you place long range accuracy as your focus then you could unlock specialized components that give better bonus to long range, such as the US masts.

I feel that this would keep the choices of how you want to build a navy for your nation open and help prevent the same, same for each play through.

26 minutes ago, Ruan said:

I don't really like the idea of nation specific hulls or components.

This is normal if it will be possible to build ships in other countries. Like japanese ordered  Kongō in Britain, for example.

Edited by TAKTCOM
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ruan said:

I don't really like the idea of nation specific hulls or components. I noticed this particularly with USA and their masts, that happen to give better bonus to long range accuracy. I am however open to the idea of the tech tree having specializations. So on top of generic additions for that level of tech you can choose to focus on an aspect of that tech. So for instance, if you place long range accuracy as your focus then you could unlock specialized components that give better bonus to long range, such as the US masts.

I feel that this would keep the choices of how you want to build a navy for your nation open and help prevent the same, same for each play through.

Experience with foreign tech (hulls and components) through building in foreign yards, acquiring plans via intel or just outright encountering foreign ships in war or peacetime should have a chance of allowing a nation access to different hulls and components other than those in their normal progression.

Edited by akd
  • Like 1

Maybe as in RTW there should be an option to play a campaign starting with historical resources or a equal/balanced start. 

I do feel that it would be ok if nations would start with a certain headstart in tech, however I am outright against giving nations flat out bonuses or penalties that persist thoughout the entire campaign. We are the head of the Navy in this game so we should be able to develop/steer the strengths and weaknesses of the nation we lead over time (which is almost 50 years or so). It shouldn't be that Germany always has a fixed submarine or armor quality bonus. Maybe it should be encouraged by starting out with a bit higher level tech in those areas from the start, but a flat out +10% research speed bonus or whatever that persists should be avoided. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ruan said:

It seems the main difference is that Japan and the US have access to Modern battleship and the Japanese Super Battleship as well while everyone else is restricted to realistic sized dreadnoughts (and thus are stuck with those towers) :)

And the American tower does perform better than the Japanese tower. But it pays a price. The thing's a monster in size compared to the Pagoda tower.

5 hours ago, Tycondero said:

Maybe as in RTW there should be an option to play a campaign starting with historical resources or a equal/balanced start. 

I do feel that it would be ok if nations would start with a certain headstart in tech, however I am outright against giving nations flat out bonuses or penalties that persist thoughout the entire campaign. We are the head of the Navy in this game so we should be able to develop/steer the strengths and weaknesses of the nation we lead over time (which is almost 50 years or so). It shouldn't be that Germany always has a fixed submarine or armor quality bonus. Maybe it should be encouraged by starting out with a bit higher level tech in those areas from the start, but a flat out +10% research speed bonus or whatever that persists should be avoided. 

Agreed, didn't think about that. Would be nice to have the freedom to pursue your own personal naval development history rather than be completely railroaded by history itself.