Game-Labs Forum

Development plans update - First half of 2020

Nice post !

I would support :

- An update for better looking town models. (maybe more diverse forts & towers too ! )

- Access to santa Cecilia & Diana too

- Fixthe 2pd swivels firing arch

- Ability to operate lynx/cutter/privateer/pickle  from enemy ports &/or use false flags to give them something.

- Rework lineships thickness disparity so hp pool & firepower is the main difference not artificially boosted "armor"

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec
  • Like 2

My annual post on the need for Exploration of the Open World. The game is incredible from so many standpoints, especially the open world the developers have built.

So here's what I recommend for Exploration:

The free camera works in the OW. Essentially you can anchor near a port or an island, and send an exploration party or a group of spies (via the free camera) from your ship into the nearby hills or port and watch enemy ships come and go. This feature could be harnessed by the devs in our gameplay content. We could be assigned OW Exploration missions:

• drop off spies or soldiers in enemy ports - raise national hostility
  •  pick up spies
  •  find caches of weapons or loot or buried treasure in the port or on deserted islands
  •  find shipwrecked sailors
  •  establish lookouts and outposts
  •  find new sites for mines
  •  find new species of animals or vegetation
  •  obtain secret orders or maps

The options are endless. The modeling of the ports and vegetation is adequate for all types of new OW game content. The OW pickup mechanic itself could work much like the Sealed Bottle mechanic. One other idea is to seed these missions in the OW so people can randomly search them out without being assigned a mission - make them hard to find - sailors like a challenge. This idea is just as important for PVP players since it entices more people and potential targets into the OW.

Mission Example - "Anchor next to the island just south of Las Tortugas. Send a party to the top of the hill - pick up the secret map. Take the map to the port of Bahia Honda and deliver the map to the back room in the beach shack with hanging fish in front. Payment - Reals and Exploration Credit.  

Thank you Devs for this great game - looking forward to its future.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Callaghan92 said:

The Safezone privateer fleets. I understand why they are there, and i like them there. But they should not be going super speed, its just ridiculous AND nor should they be tagging traders

They only tag over 100BR.  If you are running a big fat trader through an enemy's Capitol zone, you're just a gift for them anyway. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Callaghan92 said:

The Safezone privateer fleets. I understand why they are there, and i like them there. But they should not be going super speed, its just ridiculous AND nor should they be tagging traders

If they didn't have the additional speed, they would not catch anyone in fast ships. They don't join ongoing battles so they have to make their own tags or they can't help the rookies. They only tag indiaman not smaller traders. An Indiaman has 18p guns and around 400 crew, so it technically a warship. 

One thing that might work is if the Indiaman BR could dip below 100 while at minimum crew. And if the game would show this change in BR while in port. 

59 minutes ago, Never said:

If they didn't have the additional speed, they would not catch anyone in fast ships. They don't join ongoing battles so they have to make their own tags or they can't help the rookies. They only tag indiaman not smaller traders. An Indiaman has 18p guns and around 400 crew, so it technically a warship. 

One thing that might work is if the Indiaman BR could dip below 100 while at minimum crew. And if the game would show this change in BR while in port. 

What the br of the LGV and refit?  That could be how folks can avoid them, but they where traditional troop transports more than merchantmen.

6 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

What the br of the LGV and refit?  That could be how folks can avoid them, but they where traditional troop transports more than merchantmen.

LVG is at 120BR. I don't know if being undercrewed would affect if they are tagged by the privateers, but I would assume so. 

17 hours ago, admin said:

As a result our focus will only be on to following priorities

• New ships

+100

I'm really happy this is at the top of the priority list. 

Small quality of life improvement: I'd like to be able to select people/ships by selecting/clicking them in the battlegroup list - sometimes its hard to select a clan mate when everyone is stacked

13 hours ago, admin said:

what do you disagree with?

On skills and progression and rules for new content (promised in 2h of 2019)

• We have cancelled work on changes in progression, current skill book rework, and perks for the following reason
    • Changing anything players already have causes immense negativity as it is taking something away from them.
    • Features made for new players can feel that they are done at the expense of old players, who feel they are unfair to the existing community (people who supported the game before), So even if the new progression is amazing it could feel like a robbery for old players even if it is better.
    • Thus...
  • We will only add new content if it fulfills the following rules
    1. It must solve a specific problem of the majority or reduce negative outcome for the majority.
    2. It must be beneficial for both new and old players
    3. It must not take anything away that players worked hard to get. 
    • One example for a skill tree that fulfills the above mentioned rules could be a Bravery Skill Tree
      • Bravery skill tree gives benefits and bonuses to crew when fighting outnumbered
      • Bravery skill tree levels up when fighting outnumbered
      • These two things reduce negativity for the majority as everyone is ganked from time to time and everyone would love to get higher chance to sink someone in those situation

•  

Mainly this part and honestly I feel your reasoning for discontinuing some content or adjustment is flawed. I don't mean to be rude here. 

I can attest that players will accept changes or stuff being nerfed/taken away, if the difference makes the game more enjoyable for everyone as a whole. Let me give an example to what I mean and based on your proposals, also try and suggest a solution to them.

1. Many players that participate in RvR believe (rightly or wrongly) that some ships are essentially useless compared to others. That there is an imbalance that we believe could be solved with simple changes. @rediii is one of those players who made a suggestion that "we" believe is an easy change for you and a change that many people accept as reasonable. That is:
BR changes on lineships

the proposal is to increase BR on 1st and 2nd rates by quite a large margin (Rediii goes further into adjusting 3rd and 4ths rate BRs too). I am aware that some players think of it as a negative change, but a sizable group also believe it was help add some diversity to Port Battles, and even Open World Battles to a degree. The main goal in mind was to allow all players the ability to choose and decide on Fleet Setups that could all "work." Whether someone decided to have a 3rd rate heavy 25 man fleet, or another team decided on a 10 man 1st rate fleet. 

What I am getting at here is that I really do believe what has been proposed in increasing BR of lineships will be a net-positive for the community as a whole.

You already adjusted BR on ports and reduced them and I thank you for that. It has allowed my friends, clanmates, and nation to participate in more battles than before. I also hope you can see based on the data you gather that there has also been an increase in port battles fought since the change. The only major Gripe we have left is that BR on ships could be looked at. We believe that you DO NOT have to change any stats on ships, but instead just tweak some numbers (and you already changed the Pavel BR so we know you can do it 😘).

BENEFITS
A. New Players start off with small ships, By adjusting BR of ships for both shallow and deep water we could come to encourage newer players or those who have low rank to participate even in just a privateer or niagara because the "BR" of the ship better reflects the use within both OW and Port Battles.

B. Old Players will enjoy this more as a way to both adjust their tactics as well as encompass a wider range of ship choices. Currently many of us dislike that fact that 1st rates are the only choice when it comes to fighting in port battles (even greater now is the Christian because stats and BR are WAY too efficient). Old Vets will accept the change because it makes us go back to the drawing board and find new secrets to "unlock."

C. This DOES NOT take anything away from players. No ships are taken away, no one player has less of an experience than others. This instead increase the chance for all types of players to be in all types of ships (if we continue to balance BR).

To sum this up.

Increase BR of lineships (ex. 1,200 BR for ocean) will allow all players/nations a greater choice in ship decisions for both OW and PB PvP. Further adjustments of BR will also allow for continued changes for all players to experiment and be engaged in the game for time to come. by CHANGING BR it will allow both New and Old players to actively participate in a wide arrange of PvP conflict that we all like (on the War Server).

If I had to think of a Downside, I guess it would be that BR changes would affect the NPC Raids. I know that @admin just changed BR on ports to compensate NPC Raid fleet setups.... but I really do think just BR balancing for ships and continuing to balance over time is something everyone can agree on to be something we would like to see happen.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

Increase BR of lineships (ex. 1,200 BR for ocean) 

In the one hand I do agree that BR of ships is strange atm. L'Hermoine 220 while an Endy has only a handful of BR more.

A bigger BR would make it possible to assign proper BR for ship capabilities. Furthermore BR for upgrades is needed as well.

On the other hand the feeling of the all mighty first-rate like after the introduction of shot weight is all gone. It feels like we are back to a diameter sized (old system). So such a huge BR for lineships isnt really justified anymore.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

Will the loyal Captains who are here since early access get something exclusive in exchange for the loss of the exclusiveness of the Pandora? Just asking, already happy as it is. :)

And will there be paints for leopard?

Edited by Yorkshire Studding
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, z4ys said:

In the one hand I do agree that BR of ships is strange atm. L'Hermoine 220 while an Endy has only a handful of BR more.

A bigger BR would make it possible to assign proper BR for ship capabilities. Furthermore BR for upgrades is needed as well.

On the other hand the feeling of the all mighty first-rate like after the introduction of shot weight is all gone. It feels like we are back to a diameter sized (old system). So such a huge BR for lineships isnt really justified anymore.

and I don't disagree with you.

But I feel a larger "BR Spread" would really help to solve some minor BR irritations, such as your Hermione and Endy example. Although I absolutely would advocate that DLC ships are not "BR Efficient." meaning that they have a higher BR than other ships of similar weight.

the current 900 is "max" BR spread seems too limiting. 

I believe the goal that Redii had in mind was to make 3rd/4th rates the most "BR Efficient" wise, but 1st and 2nd rates would be the most "Stat Efficient" per player. Trying to find that exact balance may be difficult, but at least adjusting the balance to get closer to that ideal seems more enjoyable for more people.

*EDITED*

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, admin said:

New ships

1. Redoutable - Imported ship
    • (this month subject to Valve Approval)
  2. Implacable - crafted ship
    • (this month)
  3. Wrecker - crafted ship
    • (February)
  4. HMS Victory Classic Edition  - Admiralty Gift ship
    • 1st half of 2020
  5. Rotterdam - Combat Indiaman
    • 1st half of 2020
  6. Gross ventre refit will return this or next month 
  7. Pandora will become available on Steam for purchase

Can we expect to see more smaller ships in the second half i.e. different corvettes, sloops, brigs?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Despe said:

i have the yatch DLC, but im not sure how, probably because i have all dlcs?

Where you in sea trials and pod by PayPal before steam EA release?  That how you get the yatch DLC.  I miss it by a day cause I was down in Brazil working and got back the day after and it went to steam.

though I still think pandora should not be a dlc folks can buy.  It should be a special ship for EA testers only.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Plaxice said:

Can we expect to see more smaller ships in the second half i.e. different corvettes, sloops, brigs?

Unfortunately I expect not, as most think bigger the better, want to fire big broadsides and that small ships are no fun. So the revenue for devs is to release more ships of the line. Add to that the one really good area for small ships (Bahamas)  was ruined by making the Herc, Requin and Surp shallow water. 

Edited by Mad Dog Morgan