Game-Labs Forum

Overpenetrations

WelshZeCorgi

It seems like overpenetrations are a bit too simplified IF they're operating the way I think they're operating. 

I think that penetration is only really is calculated on the very part the shell makes first contact with and doesn't factor in the structures past it.

I notice that in long range chase scenarios, causing high angle plunging fire, if a shell over-penetrated the smoke stack or the towers, the shell didn't simply continue into the deck and either explode there or somewhere below. 

I'm wondering if anyone can clarify if over-penetration does not factor in structures and parts of the ship behind the component that has been over-penetrated. 

Does the game engine continue modeling the shell as it passes through the ship during the event of overpenetrations? 

There are sometimes events where direct fire to the belt over-penetrated, but it doesn't represent that visually, because shouldn't you be seeing shells punching through the other side and tumbling into the sea/ exploding just as it exits the other side of the ship?

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

The workings of the armour and damage models are rather opaque at present.

In part I suspect it's because they aren't finished and the devs (rightly enough) don't want to have to defend/explain things they aren't viewing to be close to the final. We know they don't have proper citadel or bow/stern armoured transverse bulkheads, for example, which is why so many ships go "bang" when hit from bow/stern with large calibre HE (or even small calibre AP on things like CAs).