Game-Labs Forum
GrubbyZebra

Reading suggestions

So I am currently at a standstill with my audible list, so I was thinking about doing another Age of Sail fiction series. Thoughts on the Alexander Kent novels? I've already done the Hornblower and Aubrey-Maturin series, with the latter being more to my liking. Any others that I should look at?

TIA

Havent read it myself yet, but on my list:

Dudley Pope, Ramage series 

Bolitho wasnt my thing ... cant really say why, made an Impression of shorted-text like some readers digest version ...

• Like 1

Dunno about audible, but I highly recommend The Alan Lewrie series by Dewey Lambdin.  Very good technically and also very funny, if somewhat raunchy.  There is over 20 books.

• Like 2

try historical novels by Bernard Cornwell if you dont find more Age of Sail stuff, that is probably the next best thing, even has some viking longboats :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Earl of Grey said:

Bolitho wasnt my thing ... cant really say why, made an Impression of shorted-text like some readers digest version ...

I get what you’re saying: Kent’s Bolithio does feel like lighter, easier reading.

I’m unusual and just getting around to Aubrey-Maturin. I’m about 2/3 way through Master and Commander. I find it tedious at times and have yet to decide that Aubrey’s my hero. The guy’s a self involved ass and not a particularly complicated one at that. But the jury is still out.

Anyway... Alexander Kent... have you ever read any Louis L’Amour westerns? It’s sort of like that. The tales are wild, the heroes are real, the villains dastardly and there has been some research involved to give you a feel for the era. Fun. 

• Like 1

I’ve been reading Kent’s Bolitho series, currently on book 15 and I like them.  Great stories, characters, plenty of action. Yes, gives you a good feel for the era. Not to tedious to read. I recommend, start with book 1 “midshipman Bolitho”

• Like 1

Its been about 40 years since I read the Alexander Kent Bolitho novels, but I remember them as being a good read at the time.

• Like 1