Game-Labs Forum

How will the campaign work?

subnorminalnt

It definitely won't play like you "control" the nation. In the description talking about the game, you control the admiralty. Which means you don't declare war or come to peace terms but build your navy while the politicians do the country running. They can give you more funding or cut funding, depending on several factors like if you're liked by the ruling political power. There are other aspects as well, but it's an alpha and highly subject to change but that's what they have in mind currently. 

10 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Probs similar to RTW's. Im hoping its a mixture of RTW's HOI 4 and maybe some or a few aspects of Total war.

Well, I hope the strategic-tactical link will be more like at least Atlantic Fleet than Rule the Waves. In RTW, what seems to happen is that your ships will never have to participate in more than one very randomly generated battle per month. After which they are all in port.

Because you remember when RamJB said we will learn to use secondaries once we are in the campaign and we have to conserve ammo and barrel life? Well, we are not going to need to do that if the ships only get into one battle per sortie with at least a whole month (and more if they have to repair) between successive fights :)

12 minutes ago, arkhangelsk said:

Well, I hope the strategic-tactical link will be more like at least Atlantic Fleet than Rule the Waves. In RTW, what seems to happen is that your ships will never have to participate in more than one very randomly generated battle per month. After which they are all in port.

Because you remember when RamJB said we will learn to use secondaries once we are in the campaign and we have to conserve ammo and barrel life? Well, we are not going to need to do that if the ships only get into one battle per sortie with at least a whole month (and more if they have to repair) between successive fights :)

Neverheard of the former, also similar doesn't mean the same, just most attributes are the same. Also i've never really read any of his posts in depth to be honest. Plus they can have it real time with the ability to pause like HOI4 or total war.

Consdering how long battles take so far and little info on how the campaign will function in general. I'd rather not fight multiple battles each turn otherwise, i would end up turning off the game pretty quick either due to irl stuff that seems to crop up at annoying rate or boredom/frustration at having to fight a battle every few secs. (Hense why real-time would obviously be the best way to go for the campaign system in general so im hoping its more like HOI4 actually)

Anyways i have no clue how it will function. Im just basing this of basic observation.

Edited by Cptbarney

• 2 weeks later...

I’m 'hoping' for Naval Action Open World (OW) style, I think that would be very impressive, an OW in 3D and gameplay of searching out the enemy and tagging them for battles, vice versa for enemy searching you out. I mean exactly like NA with ports to enter and to organize stuff like ship building, fleets, repairs, crews, logistics, fuel supplies, shipyards, and takeovers. Just like NA, your ship you sail in OW is your fleet, more to the point, each ship in OW will represent each fleet and you will command all these ships-fleets in OW. And they would be able to combined in the tag circle for multiple fleet battles (with max limits). 

The world divided into global regions of OW 3D maps where you search out screening enemy fleets and then some kind of (multiple) port/area takeover requirements, for region control. And you could use NA teleport menu type of system to move between maps (or entry/exit portals/gates) to maintain the 3D perspective, and to move fleets in and out of regions. We'll still need the 2D map for plotting a general course and overall map (static) view.

Such a campaign style would be indefinitely variable, repeatable and very realistic (as realistic goes). Definitely something I can imagine and think of all of the possibilities that could be done in such a 3D world/campaign.  

NA has all the background work done, UAD could feed of that tech, it's plausible (except maybe reduced maps to suit PCs). Even NA aggressive AI development could be applied in its fullest application.

There would be no other game of campaign genre out there that would have its world maps in 3D😊

Edited by Skeksis

turn by turn campaign, as opposed to real time, has already been 100% Confirmed, it's in the devblog.

and i don't see it likely they will change their minds on that, concidering how much ressources and effort it whould take to do real time. friendly reminder that the entire dev team for this game is a whole 3 peoples, according to one of the past stickied threads.

now as much as i want to see a real time campaign like HOI that goes trough the years quickly at peace and slow down to individual days of sailing your fleets around the world during wartime, total war games prove to me that even turn by turn can be fun, and at least feel adequately authentic, if done well.

now i've never played naval action or age of sail, but if that has already a working real time campaign, then Maybe just maybe there is a chance they could re-purpose it for this game too without impossibly high developement time, i guess...

skesis, you probably already know about it i imagine, but the game you are describing (where the entire ocean and every ship and fleets are modelled in real time, basically like the silent hunter campaign map but where you control the whole fleet) is what the upcoming Task Force Admiral game is trying to accomplish, so i guess we can look forward to that one as well.

(PS: with "Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts", "Task Force Admiral" and "Sea Power: Naval Combat in the Missile Age" all upcoming, these truly are exiting times for the niche genre of naval warfare strategy games! we rarely ever get new games at all, and now we suddenly have 3 Fantastic looking ones on the horizon!)

• Like 1

If you presented me with the text describing the campaign from the devblog and I didn't know what it was, I would have thought that you were talking about the Rule the Waves campaign.

That said, the devil is in the details. Even seemingly minor differences can have far-reaching effects on what sorts of force compositions and doctrines are favored. Even today, the ships that come out of the UA:D designer are vastly different than the ones that come out of Rule the Waves's.

Edited by Evil4Zerggin

2 hours ago, Accipiter said:

i don't see it likely they will change their minds

Yeah exactly. 

But I do like real time (AI by trigger apposed to turn base AI) and it had occurred to me that within GameLabs they actually have all the knowhow to do it, real time open world theater, in hindsight aye.

23 minutes ago, Shaftoe said:

RTS strategy layer is superior in many ways. It's a shame devs chose turn based system.

yeah, i guess it is easier on the man power which is highly understandable. I wonder if they could eventually make it real time? Unless it will be like total war and only the fights are in real time i guess.

Oh well, whatever they can do they might as well for now.

32 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

yeah, i guess it is easier on the man power which is highly understandable. I wonder if they could eventually make it real time? Unless it will be like total war and only the fights are in real time i guess.

Oh well, whatever they can do they might as well for now.

Whatever they choose to go with now will likely be what we're stuck with, as a change from turn based to Real-time would pretty much require an overhaul of everything outside of battles.

I took a look at Age of Sail and the campaign map really turned me away and it's turn based as well. That said, a full open world map, like the one used in Naval Action, isn't really that appealing to me either. I find myself doing other things outside of the game to keep myself entertained and that's never a good sign. So I do hope that turn-based was taken in the light of gameplay only and not due to something else like a programmer taking one glance at Real-time and saying "Gee that looks to complicated". Which brings me to the argument that "it's easier on man power", or something similar. That I quite often see here. While I understand that the Devs have to make a decisions that they feel they can reasonably accomplish as a company. It's none the less, to me, an poor excuse. Even more so when I realize UA:D is their 5th game and Games like UBoat, for example, have small teams and still manage to add in mechanics that some might feel is difficult or complex.

This is just me rambling on, but it's how I feel. This might be my last Game-labs game I pick up, if UA:D doesn't give me that itch I've been looking for. Just like their other games, it's a great idea and fun but just seems to miss the mark.

On 1/25/2020 at 4:06 AM, Ruan said:

a full open world map, like the one used in Naval Action, isn't really that appealing to me either. I find myself doing other things outside of the game to keep myself entertained

As OW, for PCs maps/regions would be scale back significantly, wouldn't have that open expanse, also with multiple regions covering the glob you would be switching between all these regions to command your fleets, plus with managing all the RTS stuff, that NA doesn’t have, these regions/oceans wouldn’t have that downtime, in fact you would probably be using the ‘pause’ button, alot! (hypothetically).

On 1/25/2020 at 4:06 AM, Ruan said:

if UA:D doesn't give me that itch I've been looking for

Biggest problem with alpha games is ‘expectations’, forums histories have shown us that after an update it can be hard going from ‘dreams’ to ‘game’!  

Edited by Skeksis

1 hour ago, Skeksis said:

As OW, for PCs maps/regions would be scale back significantly, wouldn't have that open expanse, also with multiple regions covering the glob you would be switching between all these regions to command your fleets, plus with managing all the RTS stuff, that NA doesn’t have, these regions/oceans wouldn’t have that downtime, in fact you would probably be using the ‘pause’ button, alot! (hypothetically).

Biggest problem with alpha games is ‘expectations’, forums histories have shows us that after an update it can be hard going from ‘dreams’ to ‘game’!  

True, As long as the core mechanics and premsises is still there, then i will find myself playing this game still. I doubt it will be like weegee or other game companies who ignore 90% of the suggestions.

We need to make sure decent and well thoughtout suggestions that go with the ideas and theme of the game are slotted in and also make sure they enhance and power the game rather than the opposite.

• Like 2

Hmm...
RTS campaign map can cause some issues. If we have naval port raids and naval invasions or being navy liaison for army. Maritime patrols would become really important and micro managing many fleets for coastal defense? (can be balanced with loads of different options)
HoI concept can work but the ratio of man power and money/ resources to allocate to navy is also open.
I am quite sure army and navy will need to compete for resources and research (political actions).
Prestege could boost the allocation of resources and inspire men to join navy but lets not repeat Italian navy or IJN vs IJA complications.
The more i think about the campaign you kinda have to balance with uncontrollable story teller army and player controllable navy. Decisions starts to matter.

I would go with HoI concept just to make politics and nation wide tensions to matter more.
Ship positions and training can either improve or decrease relationships or result in accidents that initiates wars. Rescue missions to gain prestige like Dunquirk (heck the more i think the more ideas i get....).
Ruler preference in resource allocation which can be change depending on admiralty's performance.
Improvement of sailor training and naval academies for better offices (I need to stop >_<)
Influence of naval bases and construction of said bases compared to army bases....

Losses in battles would have impact on prestige (failing in naval landing will cause friction between army and navy, losing capital ships and flag ships). Small competition with performance of army and eventually with air force.
I have hard times seeing you win a war with only naval superiority. (USSR did not give toss and still did "relatively" well) Armys presences will still be necessary (meta player / AI rival).

Heck i will take NDA to know how much i was right.
Coz this rubs my pickle in a good way (sorry for that :P)