Game-Labs Forum

Reason for surrendering your ship

16 hours ago, Celtic said:

Except there is literally 0 incentive to surrender, If you read what I suggested it would be 1.5x whatever they would have gained had they not surrendered and fought the ship down to a sink - which probably would have been more XP anyway.  

Basically the concept I'm suggesting is to make it worthwhile for after fighting a bit and knowing you'll lose you get a little perk for not just getting your boat sunk out from under you. If all you do is surrender without fighting you get 0 xp - and 0 x 1.5 is still 0.  but 100 xp from fighting would net you 150 is you surrender. 

Major problems with your idea:

1. XP for surrendering can be easily exploited.

2. As an Admiral, XP is useless.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:57 AM, Syler said:

Major problems with your idea:

1. XP for surrendering can be easily exploited.

2. As an Admiral, XP is useless.

How is that any more exploitable than the current system? Hint: it really isn't. If a player was so inclined they could use 2 alts and just get a ship near to sunk end the battle, rinse wash and repeat ad infinitum. 

As for your second point - yes lets balance the game around the fact that everyone is playing is admirals. 

6 minutes ago, Celtic said:

If a player was so inclined they could use 2 alts and just get a ship near to sunk end the battle, rinse wash and repeat ad infinitum. 

There's more than meets the eye working on the unseen parts of the code. I advice never to try this ad infinitum ;) ... actually not even as a regular practice, but you know... it'ss, your account.

16 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

There's more than meets the eye working on the unseen parts of the code. I advice never to try this ad infinitum ;) ... actually not even as a regular practice, but you know... it'ss, your account.

The point I'm making is that it's not really any more exploitable than the current systems, and is a bit of a strawman argument. You're gaining a modicum more XP for clicking one button, or you actually fight the battle out and gain likely more XP, at the cost of time.  If people are going to go to the lengths to exploit for XP grind there are far better ways to do it. 

I have had some great fights against captains who refuse to surrender REGARDLESS  of the odds. I have escaped from 5th rates in my Trader and fought off fast soft wood 6th rates with carro armed t Brigs.

Those who hoist the white flag should get nothing for quitting without a fight. 

Rather, why not increase rewards for fighting and trying at lower BR ? Encourage a brave do or die attitude and NOT a 'quit because I cant win' attitude.

Quitters should get what they deserve. NOTHING.

Edited by Stars and Stripes
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 4:28 PM, Celtic said:

How is that any more exploitable than the current system? Hint: it really isn't. If a player was so inclined they could use 2 alts and just get a ship near to sunk end the battle, rinse wash and repeat ad infinitum. 

As for your second point - yes lets balance the game around the fact that everyone is playing is admirals. 

Sure, some safeguards could be put into place to prevent farming.

But how do you incentivise Admirals to surrender? Looks like you are back to square one.

On 2/2/2020 at 9:31 AM, Macjimm said:

How is surrendering more exploitable than sinking?   

Keep the explaination(s) simple and thorough.  I'm very slow to understand.

If you sink, it's probably because you put up a fight. In that case you have earned XP.

Simply quitting a battle should earn you nothing.

If you can't understand how that could be exploited then you are probably special. (Its ok if you are)

On 1/25/2020 at 5:04 PM, Hethwill said:

And you are right, there's 0 incentive to surrender, then don't.

( unless RL calls, and if that happens... just pixels. Surrender and get on with RL )

This is the solution to the nonexistent surrender problem.