Game-Labs Forum

Why is the installer taking 8 hours to download?

Chargedr

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is with downloading the initial launcher, not the game itself. I'm talking about the 87.1 MB launcher.exe. Anyway, I'm getting a download speed of under 25KB/s when normally my computer is running at least 100MB/s. I am a bit confused by this. So if anyone knows what is messing with this... *Sidenote* I have tried downloading it using different browsers and the same thing occurs. A download time of at least 8 hours with a speed sub-25KB/s.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RPZRDhdotJ8b0-wZKru2hL1UdhNNKYN2jREIWB6jfpA/edit

*Edit: Restarting my computer and router did not improve the situation.

*Edit: It has now elapsed over 30 hours and the file still has 7MB left to download

*Edit: The file has finished downloading. 34 hours 13 minutes

Edited by Chargedr

11 hours ago, Chargedr said:

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is with downloading the initial launcher, not the game itself. I'm talking about the 87.1 MB launcher.exe. Anyway, I'm getting a download speed of under 25KB/s when normally my computer is running at least 100MB/s. I am a bit confused by this. So if anyone knows what is messing with this... *Sidenote* I have tried downloading it using different browsers and the same thing occurs. A download time of at least 8 hours with a speed sub-25KB/s.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RPZRDhdotJ8b0-wZKru2hL1UdhNNKYN2jREIWB6jfpA/edit

Greetings, please try this workaround:

40 minutes ago, RipperXS said:

I'm in a similar situation, the launcher that comes with the email is taking over 6hours to download. I also have tried different browsers and restarting PC.

Please try to change download method as was provided in the workaround:

Click on the mail address in the top right section of launcher and click on "Settings", then activate/deactivate the "Use a P2P connection" option, as shown on screenshot:

oqsR7fi.png

20 hours ago, Chargedr said:

will check 

We have just checked both installation file and game download and found no issues

Perhaps both Admirals got a temporary issues with the server, could you please clarify if the problem with installation files is still there?

If you experience issues with downloading the game (in installed launcher), please use the workaround I posted above

9 hours ago, Ink said:

Click on the mail address in the top right section of launcher and click on "Settings", then activate/deactivate the "Use a P2P connection" option, as shown on screenshot:

oqsR7fi.png

84 MB is not much to ask... a quick download is generally expected with my pc. and after multiple restarts, it still claims to take 8 hours, and outright stops the download all together. It says it's downloading but it isn't. why? I've also been dealing with this for the past day or two.To no avail.

*Update: I let the installer run all night (Approx. 9 hrs) This is the progress as of 14:00 EST. Once again to clarify, it is the initial download of the launcher from the e-mail (87.1MB file). It has taken so far over 24 hours to achieve this progress. I will again reiterate that I restarted both my computer and my router so I know that it is not a problem with either my system or my internet service. I'm not sure if I am the only one with this problem but I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't.

7 minutes ago, Chargedr said:

*Update: I let the installer run all night (Approx. 9 hrs) This is the progress as of 14:00 EST. Once again to clarify, it is the initial download of the launcher from the e-mail (87.1MB file). It has taken so far over 24 hours to achieve this progress. I will again reiterate that I restarted both my computer and my router so I know that it is not a problem with either my system or my internet service. I'm not sure if I am the only one with this problem but I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't.

@Chargedr @jjrocks2000

Admirals, we have tested the link and found no issues - the speed is ok 

The most common scenario is temporary issues between your ISP and the server. Do you have an option to test the donwload on a different connection source like mobile internet?

Similar to @Chargedr I have let my installer (84 MB from email) try to download all night, and has made little progress, 2mb. I have tried downloading on WiFi and Ethernet connections. I also have tried restarting router and disabling firewalls but to no avail. 

EDIT: solution I found connecting to a VPN server sped up the download. I am using PIA and after connecting my launcher installed much quicker.

image.png.9190c916a7aff05d3818b73373bfc5c7.png

Edited by RipperXS

7 hours ago, jjrocks2000 said:

The issue persists when I use my laptop. on wifi. 

is this the same connection as on the main PC but just wifi?

Almost all users that reported the problem use Comcast ISP. We believe it is a temporary issue related to the provider. As a workaround, please try to use different source of connection (e.g. mobile internet) or VPN, as it was tested by @RipperXS who had the same problem:

11 hours ago, RipperXS said:

EDIT: solution I found connecting to a VPN server sped up the download. I am using PIA and after connecting my launcher installed much quicker.

23 hours ago, RipperXS said:

Similar to @Chargedr I have let my installer (84 MB from email) try to download all night, and has made little progress, 2mb. I have tried downloading on WiFi and Ethernet connections. I also have tried restarting router and disabling firewalls but to no avail. 

image.png.9190c916a7aff05d3818b73373bfc5c7.png

Just bought today and also had the excruciatingly slow download speed for the initial installer file.  Thanks Ripper for posting the VPN fix/workaround!  I downloaded one of the free VPN apps and my PC downloaded the file in seconds.   I turned off the VPN after I downloaded the installer and my PC downloaded the game (500+MBs I think) in a minute or two.  Anyway, thanks again for the tip!  I'd +1 your rep if I could, but since I can't, here's +100 to you sir.

p.s.  I know Comcast was mentioned somewhere above as a possible culprit, and yes my ISP is Comcast.

Edited by Slammer58