Game-Labs Forum

You're not helping here...

MishaTX

...with my sad addiction, that is. Addiction to all things Game-Labs.

So I watch this YouTuber playing a new game along the lines of UG:CW, mainly because it mentioned the Royal Navy and the Age of Sail in the teaser, which means I'm automatically interested. Then I spend a few hours cursing YouTubers and their access to all of the coolest stuff earlier than everybody else while praying that I may not be struck dead before release and then, finally, my elation knows no bounds as I learn that I can actually get in on the fun early on too!

So yes, have my money, you're welcome to it. Now if the accursed launcher would kindly speed up the download!

Cheers, and thanks for yet another great game that I'll doubtlessly spend hundreds of hours playing as well.

1 hour ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Hundreds?  How quaint.  get on Naval action and you will spend 1000 hours just getting started.

I've been sorely tempted. However, I'm not really interested in MP, too many squeakers, griefers, casuals and assorted other dregs of humanity there, and I wasn't quite sure how much fun a game designed for MP would be in SP. But the temptation has been great, since it's one of my favorite periods in history.

14 minutes ago, MishaTX said:

I've been sorely tempted. However, I'm not really interested in MP, too many squeakers, griefers, casuals and assorted other dregs of humanity there, and I wasn't quite sure how much fun a game designed for MP would be in SP. But the temptation has been great, since it's one of my favorite periods in history.

You will be in good hands...helm...thing... with Ultimate General Age of Sail.

I've been avoiding campaign spoilers like they are the plague, but the word in the wind is that is great.

Think the investment is well worth, especially for historical SP gamers :) 

8 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Think the investment is well worth, especially for historical SP gamers :) 

After a mere hour with the game, once it had finished downloading, I can say with quite some confidence that you're right. I had a blast!

(So did the Spaniards, but not in a good way).

I was slightly dismayed, however, when I learned that apparently there is no mid battle save function as I was called away for other duties. Oh well, I get to beat the Spaniards again!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:37 AM, Angus MacDuff said:

Hundreds?  How quaint.  get on Naval action and you will spend 1000 hours just getting started.

Those are amateur numbers......I prob got most beat with 9K hours on my main and 3-6K on most my alts...lol

On 1/7/2020 at 7:07 PM, MishaTX said:

After a mere hour with the game, once it had finished downloading, I can say with quite some confidence that you're right. I had a blast!

(So did the Spaniards, but not in a good way).

I was slightly dismayed, however, when I learned that apparently there is no mid battle save function as I was called away for other duties. Oh well, I get to beat the Spaniards again!

Yah that part is kinda a pain cause I had to go do something, but when I came back and redid the battle I did a better job.  So good I stopped the game and restarted now that I figured something out.   I beat both the Brit and US so far so will take a break until more is added or it's released.  I'm hopeing they add more content after release through DLC.  It was the one thing they didn't do one Ultimate General: Civil War.  There is so many more battles they could add in that game even through DLC  folks would of paid for to get more action.

Oh and if you where going to get into Naval Action there is a Peace Server where there is no PvP that you can pretty much do your own thing and only have to worry about AI for the most part.  Though the best action is on the War server cause.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:16 PM, Sir Texas Sir said:

Oh and if you where going to get into Naval Action there is a Peace Server where there is no PvP that you can pretty much do your own thing and only have to worry about AI for the most part.  Though the best action is on the War server cause.

I did. Talked me into it, thanks a million. My family may never see me again 😉

Yes, I'm having a blast on the PvE server right now while learning how to fight my ship properly. Only beef is I wish the AI would react to me in some way, much like the AI does in, say, E:D. It feels a bit surreal for me to go snatch a Spanish NPC trader, only to pass by a Spanish NPC fleet minutes later without as much as a frown in my general direction. Or sailing straight through pirate territory with two trade ships full of goods without worries.

Enough OT from me. Also still loving UA:AoS. As I said, I may never see my family again.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 7:56 AM, MishaTX said:

I did. Talked me into it, thanks a million. My family may never see me again 😉

Yes, I'm having a blast on the PvE server right now while learning how to fight my ship properly. Only beef is I wish the AI would react to me in some way, much like the AI does in, say, E:D. It feels a bit surreal for me to go snatch a Spanish NPC trader, only to pass by a Spanish NPC fleet minutes later without as much as a frown in my general direction. Or sailing straight through pirate territory with two trade ships full of goods without worries.

Enough OT from me. Also still loving UA:AoS. As I said, I may never see my family again.

Aggressive AI was in the game at one point and is again to a limited extent on the War server. Previously the aggressive AI would interfere with pvp port battles on the War server and it was removed. Lots of people on the PVE (Peace server) have voiced concerns about aggressive AI because they would rather only engage when they want to and other reasons. Lots of stuff on the NA forum about aggressive AI. 

Yeah, same here: haven't felt this addicted since Sid Meier's Civilization 3.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a long list of constructive criticism (mostly pertaining to some of the UI/UX design decisions) which I'm going to post here soon. But I only came on this board to try to find out where save files are, so I can archive my current America playthrough (up past Nassau) so I can archive that play, and start over fresh with what I've learned about the flow of the game.

I've raged hard at some of the "Lack of Quality of Life" features, but those are fairly small things to tweak and fix. The overall design of this campaign, as it appears so far, is sheer brilliance.

1 hour ago, Anthropoid said:

But I only came on this board to try to find out where save files are

If you mean in game, they are located here: 

If you mean on your computer, they are located here: C:\Users\YourName\AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs\UA_Age of Sail\Save\CampaignBattle

Note that AppData is a hidden folder and must be be made visible to access it if you have not already done so.

Edited by WilliamTheIII
  • Like 1