Game-Labs Forum

Treasue Fleet Battle (green save your fleet turned red)

I know this is a bonus mission and a while back I played it and got lucky enough to barely capture one those two 3rd rate giant transport ships and I won this battle.

Now with all the updates in seems this mission changed a little , the AI seems to be pretty aggressive.  Looks to me like they have three, 3rd Rate War ships and each of them have 500 sailors on them along with two 3rd rate Transports that are just as large. They also have two maybe 4th rates war ships which I think they have about 280 sailors on each of them although the exact facts might be slightly off but in general they have a total of seven ships and I can bring four.

Currently, speaking about this battle when it starts it tells you or shows you, you need to at least get one of the now four objectives to win. At the beginning of the battle you already have a green checkmark in the objective box (save your fleet) which means you already have one of the objectives.

Even the game tells you at the start if this task if to hard just sail away and save your fleet and if you are in the battle long enough without capturing a ship the game tells you to retreat and save your fleet. Here's what happened this time.  I took a look at the objectives and I see I already have one of them which is to Save Your Fleet that already it has a green checkmark in that box.

I tried a few times and lost nearly all my ships so this time I decided that I would try to capture one of the fourth rates that are first to arrive and I did.  Basically, when I got that ship I took it and with my four I tried to get to one of those transport but it was too hard once those three 3rd rates get into the action it's time to get away so that is what I did and sailed my now five ships off the map so each ship retreated and the game told me that then what happened was the green checkmark turned red and I failed the mission so I don't get to keep that fourth rate I captured.

I am wondering why did the game fail me on that battle when at the start of it I already had a green checkmark in save your fleet box?  Even when the game told me as each of my ships retreated why did the game take away the green checkmark in that box and turn it red to fail me?

The 4th rate you are talking about are actually the same 5th rates you've been seeing throughout the campaign. I am not entirely sure what "save your fleet" means but it doesn't really do anything. If you retreat your ships, they are considered sunk (at least until the end of the battle) and if you have no more ships, then you failed to save your fleet and you lost. Essentially you either have to capture those troop transports or you have to sink the enemy fleet. Now on how to do both:

The ai is obsessed with boarding your 3rd rate which is a very good thing. When defending a boarding action, you have a very good advantage. The 3rd rate is capable of taking on one of the 5th's and two of the 3rd's and capture them. However, your ship will be left with a skeleton and there is still another 3rd and 5th rate to deal with. To deal with this, I also bring a 5th rate and immediately rush to capture one of their 5th's. After doing so, I send them to go and capture the troop transports as they have a combined wealth of ~62k. I will annihilate their armor using shell by aiming in the middle at the waterline. Once this is complete, I start canistering the wheelhouse until it either surrenders or has very minimal crew. I then repeat this process on the other one. For the remaining 3rd rate, there is two ways to deal with it. The first, is to bring a 3rd fire ship that can easily take care of it. The second is to bring a troop transport and immediately put the troops into row boats (they will move faster this way. ~10 knots). I will essentially have them chase my own 3rd rate and either use them to replenish the crew of my 3rd or perhaps put them on one of the enemies. A double board with 300 2 star troops and 100 remaining from my 3rd should be enough to take down the remaining 3rd. However, I've had this fail a couple time which really sucks. It is also important that right before the battle ends, you need to disembark your troops from the captured ship otherwise you will lose them (not sure if it also counts for allied ships).

17 minutes ago, WilliamTheIII said:

The 4th rate you are talking about are actually the same 5th rates you've been seeing throughout the campaign. I am not entirely sure what "save your fleet" means but it doesn't really do anything. If you retreat your ships, they are considered sunk (at least until the end of the battle) and if you have no more ships, then you failed to save your fleet and you lost. Essentially you either have to capture those troop transports or you have to sink the enemy fleet. Now on how to do both:

The ai is obsessed with boarding your 3rd rate which is a very good thing. When defending a boarding action, you have a very good advantage. The 3rd rate is capable of taking on one of the 5th's and two of the 3rd's and capture them. However, your ship will be left with a skeleton and there is still another 3rd and 5th rate to deal with. To deal with this, I also bring a 5th rate and immediately rush to capture one of their 5th's. After doing so, I send them to go and capture the troop transports as they have a combined wealth of ~62k. I will annihilate their armor using shell by aiming in the middle at the waterline. Once this is complete, I start canistering the wheelhouse until it either surrenders or has very minimal crew. I then repeat this process on the other one. For the remaining 3rd rate, there is two ways to deal with it. The first, is to bring a 3rd fire ship that can easily take care of it. The second is to bring a troop transport and immediately put the troops into row boats (they will move faster this way. ~10 knots). I will essentially have them chase my own 3rd rate and either use them to replenish the crew of my 3rd or perhaps put them on one of the enemies. A double board with 300 2 star troops and 100 remaining from my 3rd should be enough to take down the remaining 3rd. However, I've had this fail a couple time which really sucks. It is also important that right before the battle ends, you need to disembark your troops from the captured ship otherwise you will lose them (not sure if it also counts for allied ships).

If you are currently playing your game are you talking about the actual battle I am talking about for you will see 4 objectives.  Each Transport is an objective so that is two objectives, the other two objectives is (eliminate the fleet) and (save your fleet) that accounts for four objectives and a person only needs to have one of them to win this bonus mission. If your great then you can have all four objectives but some of us are not that great so when the battle starts don't tell me you don't see that you already have one of those objectives completed for that is your fleet?

For you to be in that battle don't tell again that you don't see that the game shows you were to retreat?

One time, the AI captured two of my ships sunk the other one it just blew up from all that firepower from those 3rd rates so I only had 1 ship and the game said something like great now we can retreat and showed where to go and what I am saying now is when I go there I still fail and for the objective (save your fleet) was green but in the end it turned to red there are times when winning battles this game has a red x instead of green x when indeed you had captured a ship or did an objective so it screws it up and so many things on the end battle report is not correct which I know this is EA.

I seem to always disagree with you about retreated ships being sunk maybe a DEV could speak on this?  I always retreat them and anchor them and they come back to the harbor and in nearly most battles I retreat them and I don't lose them in the camp, heck the game in certain battles always tells you to retreat or take it to a certain area and get it off the map so I have no clue of what you mean so I may agree to disagree.

I thank you for letting me know about disembark and how you like to do that mission if Treasure Fleet.  When the battle starts click the objectives and if you don't see four objectives now then I don't know what to say or even how about when you win it as you did you should have seen that you had 4 green checkmarks in the 4 boxes that represent those 4 objectives and all I am saying is for us players that don't want to risk our fleet with a battle such as this or maybe pick off 1 of two ships and besides when you are already start out with an objective already filled then if we treat we should be able to do that when the game tells us to do that so I did and it went to that area and the game changed from green to a red objective and I failed

2 hours ago, doublebuck said:

those objectives completed for that is your fleet?

What I am saying is that the "save your fleet" is a pointless objective that doesn't actually do anything. 

I seem to always disagree with you about retreated ships being sunk maybe a DEV could speak on this?

That is why I wrote until the end of the battle. You don't lose the ships you retreat however, for the objectives, they will be considered sunk. Meaning if you retreat your entire fleet, you will have technically failed the save your fleet objective. If this wasn't the case, then you are really just getting free reputation for nothing and would be quite exploity. 

the game said something like great now we can retreat and showed where to go and what I am saying now is when I go there I still fail

If you are talking about phase 2 which occurs after capturing one of the transports, then this sounds like a bug. As the game is telling you to retreat your fleet in the marked zone, sending the transports across it should immediately complete the mission and have you win. However, I have never played through phase 2 so I have no experience on this bug.

11 hours ago, WilliamTheIII said:

What I am saying is that the "save your fleet" is a pointless objective that doesn't actually do anything. 

That is why I wrote until the end of the battle. You don't lose the ships you retreat however, for the objectives, they will be considered sunk. Meaning if you retreat your entire fleet, you will have technically failed the save your fleet objective. If this wasn't the case, then you are really just getting free reputation for nothing and would be quite exploity. 

If you are talking about phase 2 which occurs after capturing one of the transports, then this sounds like a bug. As the game is telling you to retreat your fleet in the marked zone, sending the transports across it should immediately complete the mission and have you win. However, I have never played through phase 2 so I have no experience on this bug.

If you have not went to phase two I can confirm you must send all your ships to that zone in order to win unless of course you totally wipe out the enemy.  Just sending the transport to the zone will not end the battle that is fact!

save your fleet is not pointless not everybody would be as good as you to wipe out the enemy in every single battle and there are some battles where you hit and run to save your fleet unless it's you playing that will always wipe out the enemy and you must think everybody else can do the same as your saying in this battle and I am saying in some battles including this one we don't have to wipe out the enemy in order to win.

7 hours ago, doublebuck said:

If you have not went to phase two I can confirm you must send all your ships to that zone in order to win unless of course you totally wipe out the enemy.  Just sending the transport to the zone will not end the battle that is fact!

Interesting that the retreat zone in this mission works differently from all the rest. Will have to play through phase 2 later.

7 hours ago, doublebuck said:

save your fleet is not pointless not everybody would be as good as you to wipe out the enemy in every single battle

Your not getting what I'm saying. When you retreat a ship, it is considered lost even though you will get it back at the end of a mission. If you were to retreat every ship unless there is a retreat zone specifically telling you to do so, then the game will act as if you have lost every ship in your fleet. This will fail the objective as you have no more ships to save. Also,  if this worked, with battles where "save your fleet" is enough to win the mission, what is to stop you from just instantly retreating and receiving all the bonuses from winning? That is incredibly exploity and terrible gameplay as the campaign would just be made ridiculously easy imo.

21 hours ago, WilliamTheIII said:

Interesting that the retreat zone in this mission works differently from all the rest. Will have to play through phase 2 later.

Your not getting what I'm saying. When you retreat a ship, it is considered lost even though you will get it back at the end of a mission. If you were to retreat every ship unless there is a retreat zone specifically telling you to do so, then the game will act as if you have lost every ship in your fleet. This will fail the objective as you have no more ships to save. Also,  if this worked, with battles where "save your fleet" is enough to win the mission, what is to stop you from just instantly retreating and receiving all the bonuses from winning? That is incredibly exploity and terrible gameplay as the campaign would just be made ridiculously easy imo.

I actually tried that in one battle can't remember which one but I can tell you it fails unless you go to the forward border passing the enemy can be a safe zone but just to pop in the battle and retreat to either side or back would auto fail so that type of exploit that you state won't apply. 

Easy is not the point, when the game informs you the task is too great save your fleet well that's what I am talking about. Were not all like you that would wipe out everything on the ocean in every single battle.

There are times when the game tells you to retreat and save your fleet and we are not talking about every single battle that is in the campaign that when you retreat it would be as an exploit for that won't work anyway.

There are some sea battles were you can hit and run and get away and I am sure for you, you'll be the one that goes way beyond that but don't knock it if some others just want to do one of the objectives the game gives you or they earned it and wants to conserves their Navy to fight another day.  The great wonder of this game is, there are so many variables to deal with for each of us in the campaign which can make all our Navies different so for you to say it would be ridiculous I wonder whom really is?

There are times when the game tells you to retreat and save your fleet and we are not talking about every single battle that is in the campaign that when you retreat it would be as an exploit for that won't work anyway.

Doublebuck,

I don't read the objective as "retreat and save your fleet".  I read it as save at least one ship still in play at the end of the battle, not retreated across the end screen border. I have won this game several times and never came close to wiping out the AI fleet.  I would suggest you try it once more and work to insure you have at least one ship still on the screen at the end of the battle.

Best of luck!

I'm not saying you have to defeat the entire fleet. As of right now, you can lure the enemy fleet away from the retreating troop transports and then send a ship to capture one of them, and retreat in phase 2. This will effectively be a hit and run operation as you are describing. However, by playing a battle, immediately retreating, and then receiving the reward isn't fun game play as you did absolutely nothing yet received a reward. If this was intended, then it would be best to just give you the reputation for capturing the Ardent in a flavor message. Finally, this battle is meant to be challenging as it is an incredibly hard thing to do to capture the the Ardent in fireworks (took me around 8 attempts). I'm not calling you a bad player nor am I saying that all battles should be total annihilation. All I am saying is that a battle where you can instantly retreat and be rewarded for doing absolutely nothing is silly.

Good points to all, but what I am trying to relate to is please tell me what battle allows you to do that of which you say would be ridiculous? For example, correct me if I am wrong but if you capture one of those transports you get 25K,  plus the ship, as a trophy. If you don't capture one of them you don't get that ship and you don't get the 25K for this mission has no money in the reward unless you capture a transport so what are you saying if I capture a 5th rate war ship which I would get as a trophy in this bonus which won't give any money for doing it that way if I don't get one of those transports so I wonder why you would think something like this would be ridiculous and you call it an exploit to save your fleet?  There is no battle in the entire game that would allow you to just leave and win so your point makes no sense to me.

All battles have an objective or a few of objectives.  Sometimes you only have to get at least one of them to get a victory or you need all of them.

If you happen to wipe out the entire enemy then you get an instant victory if you just have to grab and go same thing applies once you get to where they want you to go whether you have a active ship in the battle or in the safe zone for you to win.

There are times when I capture ships or even my ships that get badly damaged I send them to the safe zones and they retreat for I don't want the enemy to capture them or sink them granted when I get to the harbor I will have to pay bucks to repair them.  If I have a ship that has a repair kit then I do it in the battle so those are the ships that will do the work in the battle for me.  

The first time I ever did this battle I took my ships and went far left and swooped around to one of those transports it took all three of my ships to capture just one of those transports but by the time I did that those 5 enemy ships were on my tail so I sailed my 3 ships plus that one transport to the safe zone (border) and was surprised the game victory didn't happen for I stupidly brought a transport that had 390 sailors on it, thinking I would transfer them to a ship I was trying to capture but that ship was too slow and I forgot about until all my ships were retreated in the safe zone  I still had that ship in the battle so what happened was all the enemy ships went to it and then wiped out the 390 and the second that happen I got a victory. So I am thinking when I do that battle again I will test two things get one of the transports to gain the 25K and or just get one of the war ships and retreat to the north like where I won the first time and see if I win either way so one way would give me 25K but the other way would give me no money so if that is so what you are telling me makes no sense.

My opinion of this mission.  Just tried it again but remember I won this the first time I played it but to me the updates made this mission super hard.

At this point in my campaign I was unable to unlock the trophy Arrogante which gave me this bonus mission so I am unable to bring it to the battle so my best ships are only 6th rate with only 200 sailors on each of them and they can only go about 8 knots so I put 3 of them in the battle and 1 explosive barrels ship to try out and test this battle again.

Those, 3 large war ships for whatever rate they are have 500 sailors on each of them which they can hit my ships with long distance accurate powerful fire shots and also they have 2 big war ships that have 280 sailors on each of them and don't forget they have 2 large transports that have 548 sailors on each of them making this bonus battle NOT worth the trouble it causes so I think the next time I play the whole campaign when I am in fireworks I'll make sure that I burn the Arrogante up so I won't have deal with this stupid mission.

No matter what your opinion is on (save fleet) what I am saying is true.  I fight the battle and find out that one of my 6th rates blows up from all that firepower long distance so that only leaves me with 2 of my 6th rates left then I try to get to the transports with the wolf pack behind me my explosive ship was able to take one of those 3 large war ships but they still have 2 of them left so the wolf pack is 4 war ships and 2 transports giving them a total of 2656 sailors against my 400 sailors on my 2, 6th rates left so you may try to see my point that at this point in the battle I should be able to get away and keep the green objective  (Your fleet) even if I can get to the red zone to retreat.  I think this mission is screwed  and don't forget if I don't get one of those transport I don't get any money anyways.

I agree with you if you were to just leave a battle the moment it started then you shouldn't win it but I also agree like in this particular battle that if I fight in it and the task becomes too big and I already have a green objective that the freaking game gave me and it already shows a safe zone to get too then it should stay green in this case bottom line.

You start it with the green check (Your Fleet) objective and as long as you have a ship left that even leaves to the zone or gets to the zone it should satisfy the objective as a victory for you only have to have one of the 4 objectives so why does the game force it to a red objective at the end?  If you don't like that objective why did the put in in as one of the 4 objectives?  It's like dangling something in front of you and when you go to grab it they take it away!

PS William I would like to see you make a video of destroying those 5 war ships and capture both transports so you would get 50K and wipeout 3156 sailors total so I wonder what you would bring into the battle to get that type of result?

Edited by doublebuck

7 minutes ago, sterner said:

The mission was updated in the latest patch.

What does that mean my only issue if there is a safe zone and your fleet objective is green but when after I decide I don't have what is required to get one of those transport I just want to leave the battle before I lose all 4 of my ships so I give it a try but so yeah I won't get the 25K but al least I will save part of my fleet and at least I tried. So you your saying you fixed the green objective your fleet won't go to red and fail?

On 1/9/2020 at 12:11 AM, WilliamTheIII said:

I'm not saying you have to defeat the entire fleet. As of right now, you can lure the enemy fleet away from the retreating troop transports and then send a ship to capture one of them, and retreat in phase 2. This will effectively be a hit and run operation as you are describing. 

That is basically how I did it. I sailed kinda somewhat through the middle of the enemy units with the Arrogant and the San Giorvanni and since both were faster than the enemy combat units I actually was able to reach the two transports, forced on of them to surrender and the other was captured (this was basically where my biggest loses occurred´. Then I used my two combat ships again to lure the enemy battle fleet away, while the damaged transports made a run for it.