Game-Labs Forum
Thonys

other approach on speed in OW

Posted (edited)

Would it not be nice to have,

1.to get rid of the wind boost and have a overall boost by 60 % (permanent)

2. in stormy wheather conditions you can capsice and need to set up stormsails ? (reduce sail to slow/ half>> to overcome capsicing )

3. to have doldrums (heavy fog)  and sails have no windboost (the 60 %)

your thoughts please.

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

1. I don't think it's a good idea to convert wind boost into permanent open sea speed boosts. Soon you can leave a port at El Rancho and sail fast enough to enter a battle at Guaya🍌.

And not to mention areas where ports are clustered (Gustavia and surroundings for example) together, you can safely leave one port and enter the next.

2. When game is perfectly balanced and polished to the point where there is absolutely nothing to tweak we can discuss this again...😂.

3. See nr 1 and 2😉

Now sober up Thonys!😂

Edited by Cursed Monkey
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cursed Monkey said:

Now sober up Thonys!😂

well it seems i am the only sober person in the game 

haven't you seen the racing trincomalee doing 50 knots against the wind ??

and you sitting in your trader lynx doing 20 knots with the wind.

thats working great is it...

distance is not speed .

if distance is a problem reduce the income of trade for these ports to almost zero (problem, solved)

stick some bananas in a place where i don't have to look. 😂

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 9:13 AM, Thonys said:

Would it not be nice to have,

1.to get rid of the wind boost and have a overall boost by 60 % (permanent)

2. in stormy wheather conditions you can capsice and need to set up stormsails ? (reduce sail to slow/ half>> to overcome capsicing )

3. to have doldrums (heavy fog)  and sails have no windboost (the 60 %)

your thoughts please.

My thoughts are one of the most attractive things in this game was the size of the world map. The easier you make travel the smaller the world map becomes. They did the same thing with EVE Online made it so easy to travel it became a joke,  If the object is to be able to travel from one side of the world to the other in 15 minuets might as well cut the world map in half.

As for storms they should be like wind boost but negative speed effect,  reduce speed in storms., perhaps a skill or perk could mitigate some.

• Like 1

Remove wind boost. Remove other ideas of a boost. For what do we craft ships? It's either speedy build or armored. The wind boost is a terrible introduction. 

first ...well it is a way of looking at it .

1.from one side to the other side takes more than 15 minutes.  (1 and a half hour and not 3 and a half hour like the old situation ) 

2. i do like your second subject on the matter also..there are many possibilities. and weather conditions affecting your speed.

4 minutes ago, Lukas97Austria said:

Remove wind boost. Remove other ideas of a boost. For what do we craft ships? It's either speedy build or armored. The wind boost is a terrible introduction. 

i do not agree

it was one of the most great things for the community to speed up a little .

please do not let us crawl to a point of no return.

the overall game still need balanced speeds  to compete with other titles. and enjoyable game play.

Edited by Thonys

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 5:13 AM, Thonys said:

There are already too many storms and slowing us down in them would be very boring.  We don't need that kind of realism in a game.  It's not a sailing simulator. 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 5:13 AM, Thonys said:

3. to have doldrums (heavy fog)

Another form of realism that we don't need in a game.  Anything that slows you down is a very bad idea for a game like this.

4 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

There are already too many storms and slowing us down in them would be very boring.  We don't need that kind of realism in a game.  It's not a sailing simulator. 

Another form of realism that we don't need in a game.  Anything that slows you down is a very bad idea for a game like this.

well i mean .....you have to simulate something for the ambiance....

does not mean we have to slow down ,but a little less speed BOOST is appropriate  i think

but on the other hand with the wind you go even faster in a storm ...

Edited by Thonys

Just now, Thonys said:

well i mean .....you have to simulate something for the ambiance....

Concur, but slowing us down in OW would be very boring.  Slowing down with zero vis would be soul destroying.  We would need a "sink your own ship and get drunk" button for that.

5 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Concur, but slowing us down in OW would be very boring.  Slowing down with zero vis would be soul destroying.  We would need a "sink your own ship and get drunk" button for that.

well w e can get a boost in a storm +20% speed (wind in sail..)

Just now, Thonys said:

well w e can get a boost in a storm +20% speed (wind in sail..)

I agree that what you're suggesting would add some realism.  For me, it's realism I don't want.  All I want from a storm (which are far too often for the Caribbean!) is to get out of it.  You'd think we were in the North Sea!

To be honest I think they should keep the wind boost, but remove the magic teleportation device between outposts.  Far to easy for one group of people to dominate far to much of the map by being able to teleport around.. Towing a ship should take 24 hours  for it to arrive in my opinion too. So need to plan the Tow in advance.  Sailing across the entire world map should be a big undertaking not something every man and his dog can do in a few minuets.

I like the storm negative effect idea though

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I agree that what you're suggesting would add some realism.  For me, it's realism I don't want.  All I want from a storm (which are far too often for the Caribbean!) is to get out of it.  You'd think we were in the North Sea!

Ah yes but that is a other subject

i still think the overall weather look like the baltic sea

that i agree on.

depressing weather for the caribbean some times >>>grey and dark blue...instead of very sunny and light green/ light bleu  beaches.

a more higher color scheme would be much more appreciated indeed..

example:

3dd47728d337ccdb230b44f79f786e7d.jpg

b2d7bd50b9489ffa9630379d58c69d5b.jpg

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

1. The wind boosts are fantastic. Now I can spend less (almost zero) time afk sailing and actually enjoy content.

2. It sucks yo be in a storm and usually it's so bad you can't even see the wind boosts...so let's not make storms any worse.

3. If you really want realism, then don't use the wind boosts, and make sure you are at half sails. BUT DON'T EXPECT ME TO SUFFER WITH YOU FOR THE SAKE OF REALISM. I'm playing to have fun.

4. Teleporting between outposts is great because it allows players to create content rather than being stuck in a small region of the world.

5. Slowing down the speed of ship tows is one of the most effective ways to kill the game. Got pirates ravaging a certain area of your nation?...too bad, got to wait untill tomorrow to respond...oops, tomorrow they moved on to a new area.

If the devs remove teleporting, wind boosts, or instant tows...I'll probably go play something else. I don't have all day to run logistics like some of you.

• Like 2

I think wind boosts should be removed but ow speed can be increased around %35-40 when you are like 15-20k away from a coast.  

Yes, I like the speed increase, but 2nd or 3rd rate with windboost catching a 5th or 6th rate is plain stupid.

remove wind boost, make missions more lucrative/ drop rates of special items better to compensate with longer travel times. Prices for trade will increase accordingly to compensate with time spent. 

and yes, I am mostly saying this because wind boosted ships catching smaller craft is unfair and balance breaking 

Edited by Gimpy117
  • Like 1

I'd suggest wind highways, drop into a highway and get boost for as long as you stay inside the highway.. Drop out and u lose the boost.

• Like 7

i agree with those above, when ever they reduced the map size previously or increased ow speed, it got harder to attack frogs in the short time they would spend between their ports. now they are allmost extinct anyway, but that has different reasons :)

there was a time you could hardly see from one antilles island to the other, now you have to watch out your ship doesnt get stuck between them^^

Edited by Durin

51 minutes ago, Lars Kjaer said:

I'd suggest wind highways, drop into a highway and get boost for as long as you stay inside the highway.. Drop out and u lose the boost.

what is this? a practical suggestion from you? ah i see, the TC is not swedish xD

4 minutes ago, Durin said:

what is this? a practical suggestion from you? ah i see, the TC is not swedish xD

Even a broken clock shows the right time twice a day.

• Like 3

On 2/13/2020 at 12:38 PM, Yoha said:

1. The wind boosts are fantastic. Now I can spend less (almost zero) time afk sailing and actually enjoy content.

2. It sucks yo be in a storm and usually it's so bad you can't even see the wind boosts...so let's not make storms any worse.

3. If you really want realism, then don't use the wind boosts, and make sure you are at half sails. BUT DON'T EXPECT ME TO SUFFER WITH YOU FOR THE SAKE OF REALISM. I'm playing to have fun.

4. Teleporting between outposts is great because it allows players to create content rather than being stuck in a small region of the world.

5. Slowing down the speed of ship tows is one of the most effective ways to kill the game. Got pirates ravaging a certain area of your nation?...too bad, got to wait untill tomorrow to respond...oops, tomorrow they moved on to a new area.

If the devs remove teleporting, wind boosts, or instant tows...I'll probably go play something else. I don't have all day to run logistics like some of you.

I have the opposite playstyle from Yoda. But the game accommodates both of us. 

I can avoid the windboosts and often this evades gankers that loiter near the boosts to ambush traders.

I don't have to use the teleports or tows if I chose realism.

I like the foul weather and use it to hide in the fog.

There is a balance.  I'm okay with windboosts because it doesn't force everyone into supersonic speeds, I'm willing to endure raiders overtaking me at unreal turbo-speeds, and having road signs posted out at sea, because I have the choice to avoid them.

One of the key appeals to the game is a feeling of traveling long distances and the open water.  Travel is fast enough.  Increasing open world speed would remove the atmosphere of sailing.  NA would become an arena combat game.

• Like 5

On 2/17/2020 at 8:40 AM, Macjimm said:

I have the opposite playstyle from Yoda. But the game accommodates both of us. 

I can avoid the windboosts and often this evades gankers that loiter near the boosts to ambush traders.

I don't have to use the teleports or tows if I chose realism.

I like the foul weather and use it to hide in the fog.

There is a balance.  I'm okay with windboosts because it doesn't force everyone into supersonic speeds, I'm willing to endure raiders overtaking me at unreal turbo-speeds, and having road signs posted out at sea, because I have the choice to avoid them.

One of the key appeals to the game is a feeling of traveling long distances and the open water.  Travel is fast enough.  Increasing open world speed would remove the atmosphere of sailing.  NA would become an arena combat game.

Isn't that what the PvE server is for? 

No to ow speed increase, try hunting in a sixth rate, you already need to be down to battle sails in good wind to not miss anything.